Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
two30eight

Teleports

I am in the process of finalizing my wad, and I am having problems with teleports. I assume it's possible to have multiple teleports port you to multiple locations, but I can't figure out how to do it. All of my teleports port me to a single location, even if I have multiple destinations. I know I'm missing something stupid, but can someone help me out? Thanks in advance. I'm using wauthor if that helps.

I think each destination needs to be in a separate sector. I might be talking crap though.

it depends what your editing if its vanilla doom then you will teleport to the last teleport exit placed

dunno about zdoom though

in doom2.exe, people make fake multiteleporters.
the create a line -------------------
but in fact it is really many lines in one -- -- -- -- -- --
with each segment of the line having a different destination.
I don't know about the possibilities with scripting or Zdoom to enhance that.
look in an editor at dweller2.wad
cool dm trick btw. :)

I'm assuming you're using vanilla doom (no source ports, just the regular stuff). You can't have two teleport tags go to the same sector. What you ought to do is built a couple of tiny sectors where you want the enemies to teleport to, then put the destination things inside those sectors. Then just tag the tiny sectors.

two30eight said:

All of my teleports port me to a single location, even if I have multiple destinations.

When you create a teleporter, you have to tag the linedef and also a sector where you want the teleporter to go to. Then you place a destination within that sector to tell the game exactly where you want to teleport to. Because it's the sector that carries the tag (not the destination things) you can only teleport to one place in that sector, regardless of how many destinations you put in there. (because the destination things aren't tagged, the game wouldn't know which one to go to, so it just goes to the last one every time if you have more than one in the same sector)

To make multiple destinations, you need to create small sectors within the tagged sector, and give them all different tags (and put a destination thing in each one). Then split the teleport line into smaller lines, and give each line a different tag (corresponding to the smaller sectors you've just created). This creates the impression of a random teleporter, especially if it's a teleporting monster trap.

Recently I managed to do one monster trap without making such sectors. The situation: in level 12 of my wad, I had a pit of blood with multiple floor heights (one with -16, one with -32, etc). The teleporter you enter the area from is in the center of the pit, but it's raised. It lowers again once you get the red key, but this also makes monsters appear around it in three places. One of my teleport things is right in front of the teleport out (the teleport linedefs all have block enemies selected), but the other two are on the left and right sides of it. Of course I couldn't do it all in the same sector. So I started with both things in different sectors of the pit, but then moved them both onto the linedefs which mark the transition between floor heights. In other words, the things were realistically on opposite sides of the teleporter, and equally far away from it, but one was bound to the lower sector, while the other was bound to the upper one. It worked perfectly.

I did the teleport differently, though; a certain number of monsters appear from each one. On a side note, I've come to hate making those little passages most people do, so that the monsters can hear you. I usually create a new sector and then renumber the front sidedefs to a sector you've already fought in (so they hear you no matter how far away you are).

Here's another one: one switch in level 13 is Floor: S1 down to highest floor + 8. I tagged it to the green key platform elsewhere in the level, but also to sectors behind you which just appear to be bookcases. When they finish dropping, a Revenant pops out of each one. And all this happens in about a second.

Can someone please explain sector tagging to me? As I said I'm really new at this. From what I understand, each sector can have it's own tag? Can this tag be any number? For example...

If I make a teleporter, and tag that linedef in which is supposed to teleport. Say I tag it with the number 1. Do I then place a destination thing in sector 1?

WAuthor doesn't really explain this in a way that I understand, and I'm hoping you guys can break it down for me.

Thanks for bearing with me...

two30eight said:

Can someone please explain sector tagging to me? As I said I'm really new at this. From what I understand, each sector can have it's own tag? Can this tag be any number? For example...

If I make a teleporter, and tag that linedef in which is supposed to teleport. Say I tag it with the number 1. Do I then place a destination thing in sector 1?

WAuthor doesn't really explain this in a way that I understand, and I'm hoping you guys can break it down for me.

Thanks for bearing with me...

At the bottom of the linedef and sector properties boxes, you'll find a small box with 'Sector Tag' next to it. Giving the linedef tag 1 will make the teleport go to the sector with tag 1 (assuming there's a destination thing in it).

search for "wad designers hand book", it seems like you could use it...

Ultimate DooMer said:

At the bottom of the linedef and sector properties boxes, you'll find a small box with 'Sector Tag' next to it. Giving the linedef tag 1 will make the teleport go to the sector with tag 1 (assuming there's a destination thing in it).

You're talking about WA, right? In that case I usually right-click the linedef, go to edit tags and click yes when it asks to make a new one. Then I just click the sector(s) I want that linedef to affect. I rarely use the sector tag box unless I screw up, or place a sector inside an already tagged one and I want the new sector to have the same tag.

I figured out teleports, lifts, and the sector tag! This solved so many problems it's not even funny. I can actually finish a map and run map check without any errors hehe. Thank you all sooo much! After I get around 10-15 maps done I'll probably release it and see if people hate it. Thanks again all!

I've been wondering...would it work if you made a tiny teleport sector and tagged that entire sector? The problem i had was i would make the sector, tag it say 1 and make a destination and name the sector of the destination 1 as well.

I have no idea. I just tag the non-wall linedefs on the teleport and tag the sector where the destination thing is. What purpose would you have to tag the whole sector?

There's no reason to. But if you want a two-way teleport, you'd need two tags, each with four (or fewer) linedefs from one sector, and the other sector.

Create a sector. Place a teleport destination thing in it. Now make a another sector. Place a teleport destination thing in that, too. Give the first sector a tag of, say, 1. Now give the lines of the second sector that tag. Now give the second sector a tag of 2. Give the first sector's lines a tag of 2. There, you go, a back and forth teleport.
Oh yeah, I should mention that you should give all the lines of both teleport sectors the WR*Teleport special.