Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Berzerker

Doom 3 and Doom 3 editor problems

Found out this works better for me: +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +vid_restart +editor +com_allowconsole 1

Now pressing F2 will load into the game screen and I just have to press the ~ for the console. No more Ctrl+Alt+~. I don't even have to keep typing +com_allowconsole any more each time I run the game. Now when I load the map I also get a cool little little player to check out the map.

IhNtYw8.png

Bare with me on this one.

I was watching TV last night but all I kept thinking about was the D3 Editor. Couldn't even enjoy it much less get into it. I guess you can say I got "Mapping Fever". The last few days have been nothing but hunt the web for tutorials and videos on everything. Then it came to me (?) But I don't know if the people here on DoomWorld would allow it ? I want learn everything about mapping in D3Radiant but the tutorials are far and few in between (the game is old). But we all still love it, That's why we're here.

If I want to know something I come here, post a question and wait for a reply. What if the newcomers didn't have to do that ?

I was wondering what if I created another thread and let everyone follow me along while I learn. The way I started teaching myself in QeRaiant was go read or watch a video on how to do something. Then I would create a room (let's use lighting of an example) just for that. In this room I would place all the lights I've learned and all the things needed to get that light to work that way (example triggering a light) Or if it was doors I would have a bunch of doors in one big room showing all the ways they could be opened. Up, down, sideways...etc. I could place written tutorials explaining the details of what to do to get it to work that way (another example rotating skies).

But this would take up a lot of space on here and I would still need help as I went along. I could ask here in this one thread get an answer and start making tutorials from them in the other.

I would start with D3 and the editor itself, all the problems I had with it and move on to brushes etc. or anything I can find out or what you all would help me with.

Do you think that would be OK ?

I'm always up to learn something new, whether in this thread or a new one. There's a yt playlist that has helped me more than any other resource, but something they never got into was doors so I spent a long time experimenting and looking at the original maps, which are an excellent learning resource in their own right. D3Radiant (and Dark Radiant to a lesser extent) are the first and only 3D map editors I've ever used, so most concepts like brushes, leaks and visportals were brand new to me. Also I'm very casual with mapping in general and set it down for the moment because I'm into 1000 other things as well. But I say go for it, the more info available to everyone the better!

I've been trying to think of a catchy name for it so everybody would know exactly what it was before they clicked on it (if it was OK). I'm already seeing what a challenge this is going to be but I think this will benefit others as much as me.

Would you help as I go along ? You won't have to write anything. Just more or less help me through the hard places I don't understand here and I will do the rest. 

I've thought of Berzerker's corner, Berzerker's D3 mapping tutorials 

But hey just don't seem to have that Umph!

Edit I found these too: 3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: Series 1 introduction - YouTube

Hmm, Already seeming to get off to a bad start it only posted the site name and not the URL ?

Edited by Berzerker

There actually use to be some good tutorials back in the day mostly having to do with (GtkRadiant and Quake3), you might search some wayback machine stuff about this after some random google searches. Even though Q3 and D3 are different tech, the editors and way of mapping are for the most part the same.

I haven't looked lately but I'd imagine there's some other info on Katsbits. ~ yep I guess there still is, heh.

I dig the new D3 editor tutorials (set-up) you posted in your new topic!

I have a feeling it might end up getting moved over to the Doom3 side of the board though, or at least it should, so it doesn't get pushed 3-4 pages deep in it's current category.

Anyway, nice work man!

Thanks Mr.Rocket I'll look into it.

I also pulled out my old QeRadiant tutorials I had in the back closet. I would think some things still work the same but I know some things have changed.

For example I once tried to put a revolving light in a QeRadiant Quake2 map. The tutorial said you could but the editor said different. I followed the instructions by the letter but it failed. Years later sitting back I thought was I suppose to use a  func_rotating with it (?) But the tutorial never said to do that. I think revolving lights are in D3 but I'll look into that when I get to lights and lighting. I think it will be one of the first I try to tackle. Lighting is very important.

I'm still working on the tutorials and have a couple of more I'm fixing to add but I want to clean up some things first. I don't want to take up huge space on the site and I want to keep the flow going from start to finish. Meaning starting from opening the editor to editor overviews till I get to the parts I don't understand or have forgotten how to do and ask for help so others can be helped and find everything in one place which I haven't found as of yet. (Hope that made sense ?)

The next one I'll be posting is an overview of the editor windows and what they do. It won't go into great detail it's just to get new mappers acquainted with the editors windows that they'll be using. Putting things together on my computer right now.

I'd like to ask for help now before I post it and say if I represent something wrong or don't get it right or you think something should be added so that others that might want to use it, let me know here.....Please!

I wouldn't want to mislead anybody, on anything...I want it right.

Edited by Berzerker

Good tutorial so far! I actually had no idea it was up until Mr.Rocket mentioned it, I had go to your user profile page to find it.

Here's a video on rotating lights in D3 if you're interested, once you get to that part. https://youtu.be/5SKySPXS-Kc

Something I want to mention as well. Things like "com_allowconsole" and other commands that are useful for regular gameplay as well as the editor can be added to an autoexec file. It just keeps things feeling cleaner to me. I tend to trash my config files when loading new maps and mods to avoid issues, and having a few key options enabled by default makes the process go more smoothly, so I thought I would mention it.

Anyway I just like talking about this stuff so I hope you don't mind!

Thanks Lippeth I've watched that one before but I still need to add some of his tutorials to my list. Working on ten things.

I added your comment also

I've been at it again but it appears the internet doesn't have the answers to what I'm asking. I was trying to find some tutorials on other things you use when building maps like making skins. If I remember correct there was a program named (Wally) for quake II skin making. Is there any programs out there to do these kinda  things ?

Other things would be making your own guns like in Q2 (Again) in the WOD mods (weapons of destruction). What are some of the programs you all use to do this ?

And can you import monsters. prefabs and other things from Q4 into D3 to use them in your map ? 

Ran into another problem right off the bat. I was wanting a break from doing the tutorials and wanted to try my hand at making the rotating light Lippeth hooked me up with. So I go in my test map and all heck breaks loose. First it keep telling it couldn't create the func_rotating and when I finally got it to create it, it was like it was stuck. Couldn't edit the size or anything. So I delete and make another map called "test". Just to make sure everythings OK I went ahead and tried to BSP it and get this:

LyQWc1o.png

What's going wrong ? Everything was find just a few days ago was the last time I changed anything and it was working then.

And why is it saying "bak" This is a new map shouldn't that be a "map" file ?

Yeah but it keeps closing the editor when I try to BSP the map

It gives me this:

fwvmupH.png

There isn't even a map named map.map

I got it I think it was the brush I was using. There are so many new ones I don't know what you can use for what.

Edited by Berzerker

I imagine that you can simply copy and paste it to other areas, even other maps.

7 hours ago, Berzerker said:

I've been at it again but it appears the internet doesn't have the answers to what I'm asking. I was trying to find some tutorials on other things you use when building maps like making skins. If I remember correct there was a program named (Wally) for quake II skin making. Is there any programs out there to do these kinda  things ?

Other things would be making your own guns like in Q2 (Again) in the WOD mods (weapons of destruction). What are some of the programs you all use to do this ?

And can you import monsters. prefabs and other things from Q4 into D3 to use them in your map ? 

If you're referring to the Weapons of Mars Destruction thing I made, it was mainly done using a text editor, and what little graphics are there were done in Photoshop and paint.net, (like McNiel's glasses, exploding barrels and glowing monster eyes) or taken wholesale from Arl (with permission, of course). It's mainly just scripting and sound design. The sound design was done in Pro Tools and Audacity, but I don't think that's very helpful for what you're asking. Photoshop is great for editing existing graphics, but not for creating them because of the need for normal maps and all that.

From what little I've poked around in Quake 4, it looks like most of the behavior is in the source code rather than the pak files, but I imagine that it can be done. How to do a lot of it is beyond me but I'm sure the folks on Discord can help.

Haven't been around in a few days, 10 acres don't cut itself. I found out Jasc isn't what I needed to do the things I wanted Lippeth so I downloaded GIMP.

So I've been trying to find some tools that are free to add to my tutorials page. I haven't left but looking up resources to use and testing them out.

Don't count me fragged yet.  

Need a little help everyone. I've tried to look up what is the "cycle precision cursor" and found no useful information on it that explained it to me so I could explain it to someone else.

Personally, I've never used it.

Thanks

On 9/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, Lippeth said:

I don't know if this will be helpful, but it works for me and runs smoothly.

Doom3.exe +set fs_game base +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_brightness 0 +set r_gamma 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +vid_restart +editor

this was very helpful for me, the editor was starting with lots of empty boxes, no grids, camera not working, and a constant warning to restart it. Now it looks familiar.