Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lokbustam257

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate gets Doom Slayer as a Mii Fighter

EDIT: just realized I was late for one day, and uhh... that's dumb I guess?

I don't play Smash at all, (in fact I didn't even know what the hell is Mii Fighter) but I think this is worth to share here, what do you think about it?

Nintendo's video about it:

P.S: That title is copy pasted from Polygon article, sorry

Edited by lokbustam257 : it was yesterday lol

I have no investment in Smash Bros at all, but I will say that since the Mii thing is supposed to be a player self-insert and how Doomguy arguably has little to no character and has always been simply an avatar for the player, having a nuDoom armour Mii skin makes sense to me.

Incidentally, the whole "Doomguy being in Smash" reminded me of this fella who animated this fun mock-up of what having him in the game could've looked like and I adore this interpretation of the character with his aggressive twitching and such:

Even if i played smash and knew what a mii fighter was, i am sure i still wouldn't care.

I think it’s dumb.

I have never played super smash brothers but I do know I like doom and I hate kingdom hearts, they should have used doom guy instead of sora

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty excited about Smash having our hero have some official representation! I always saw that Smash Bros was a celebration of ALL video games (especially since Brawl with the intro of Solid Snake, it was so extremely hype at the time). Like Biodegradeable said it's honestly really fitting that they went with the Mii costume.

Even if you don't play Smash IMO this should still be wonderful news as our community can grow from this. :)

2 hours ago, RDETalus said:

I have never played super smash brothers but I do know I like doom and I hate kingdom hearts, they should have used doom guy instead of sora

It's just because Sora looks like an Anime Swordfighter.

1 hour ago, Doominator2 said:

Damn, this was the last chance to get Leisure Suit Larry in smash.

Wait, are you saying that he was a serious consideration?

Personally, I didn't think Doom Slayer would even get in... at least Sakurai-san took the privilege to acknowledge the Doom series, which is a plus for me. :-)

Either way, here's the deal: many people wanted Sora in the game, and they got their wish; and I'm happy for them. What's so strange about it was that, IIRC, Nintendo wanted to put Sora in SSBU earlier, but Disney said ABSOLUTELY NOT. Perhaps they had to go though some negotiations to finally put him in?

I actually like this better than a full character, I think the small Mii frame is a better look for the Slayer.

I'm with HavoX in that I had 0 inclination to believe Slayer would make it in at all. This was good news to me.

I might load up Ultimate again to see if I can learn how to use Mii fighter. As much as everyone disses "anime prettyboy with sword", those are my favorite fighters to use, especially Roy.

1 hour ago, Ar_e_en said:

I bring you revelations of the cursed kind!

Well actually, I think they need to add both Sans and Doom Slayer in Smash for real in the next DLC. They deserve to be DLC fighters rather than just some Mii Costumes

Frick. 

I promised my friends I’d play a round of Smash if they added Doomguy.

I HATE Smash.

Frick.

Good thing that Doomguy is in as a Mii costume, if it was full size Doomguy every other fighter would just kneel and beg for mercy. Also it'd bump the ESRB rating to M because everyone would get ripped apart in half in a firework display of blood and gore.

I do find it clever that they used the 2016 pistol, it's basically just a laser gun like the Mii's is

Plus it abides to the "no real guns" thing, but at the same time there's Snake with bazookas and Bayonetta with fucking heel guns

I personally would have swapped Sora and Doomguy's places around, but the fact that our boy made it into the game in any form makes me happy enough

I think a lot of what's in Super Smash Bros these days doesn't fit thematically, so take this with a grain of salt, but... Bright green OG Doomguy would fit in way, way more seamlessly - at least with the "actually Nintendo-ish characters".

Then again, most of the modern roster feels "out of place" to me, a fan of the first two SSB games who pretty much never liked the direction the series went after that.

It's cool to see Doom represented in such a popular franchise regardless, maybe it will send a few new interested people over to the Doom side (similar to how Ness was how 90% of people learned what Earthbound was in the first Smash Bros, though maybe not that dramatic).

I’m a pretty big fan of smash, first game I ever owned was Super Smash Brothers Melee. So it’s really neat to see 2 of my favorite series together like this. I feel like the smash community has this overwhelming sense of negativity and entitlement around it, people get so upset when a character they dislike gets in or a character they like doesn’t. It’s ridiculous. As a zoomer, I do have a baseline level of nostalgia for kingdom hearts, but Sora wouldn’t have been my first pick (it would have been doomguy). That being said, I’m really happy for everyone that wanted sora, and either way it’s a pretty huge get for smash, in terms of popularity and notability. I can’t even be mad that doomguy is just a mii costume, tbh.

13 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

As much as everyone disses "anime prettyboy with sword", those are my favorite fighters to use, especially Roy.

Roy and Marth were the OG "anime prettyboys with swords" in the Smash franchise, so they absolutely get a pass (Link doesn't really count, imo).

I don't mind that "type" of character, it's just kind of odd to me how insanely dominant it became in what was once a roster of "Saturday morning cartoon-ish" characters.. It's probably because I haven't been a regular Smash player for years now, but I honestly can't tell most of them apart from one another.

I guess he wasn't enough of an anime swordsman to have his own main slot. Disgusting.

For what it's worth, that's probably the least bad Mii costume I've seen in Smash.