Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Widosm

Worst looking texture

7 hours ago, Briøche said:

This post remember me https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/50shades that was initially made because of/thank's to a similar conversation about ugly textures

Yep. Here's the original post:

34 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

3Tt9h5c.png

The fact that I have yet to see a mention of this texture is baffling on so many levels.

I don't think this is a "bad" looking texture, but it simply just doesn't fit Doom.

Edit: I also want to add this one from Doom 1:

BROWNWEL.png.ecc38bfeed51f1c3d59dd4ec00b5dd48.png

Looks completely out of place compared to the other textures IMO. I think it'd work better in something like Quake.

Edited by Wavy : Another bad texture

DOBWIRE.png.4a5c0a928fe21910e4e45fc2c28eb2ee.pngDOBWIRE2.png.76fff476725d2b8695f5a665d41fa949.png

Don't forget these masterpieces also from TNT. The green pixels are actually an error I'm pretty sure, you can see the same weird green pixels on the sphinx texture in Misri Halek from Alien Vendetta. Maybe it's some weird artifacting from the way you would remove the background of an image in some ancient 90s photo editor?

I don't speak map, but probably brown and tan textured. Modern shooters get so much heat for browns and greys, but Sandy Petersen gets a pass for some of his visual abominations? No. Honestly, I feel almost all the textures have their places though.

13 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

All of the Concrete textures are far worse than any other in the game. No question.

3 pages of posts so far and only ONE with the correct opinion. These are sad and scary times.

It’s easily the most underused batch of textures from the IWADs, for good reason, but this thread feels like people are trying to protect its feelings!

GROSSNESS INCOMING:

On 6/27/2021 at 1:25 AM, Doomkid said:

The CEMENT textures are easily the ugliest of the iwads, imo.

This HD version looks way nicer than the real versions, but at least people will know the set I'm talking about:

OgrVuw8.jpg

Even the HD version isn’t great. It reminds me of a never-cleaned truckstop bathroom FFS.

ZZZFACE? Innocuous red brick textures? The legendary FIREBLU (which has many, many potential uses)?! Y’all crazy.

I can't believe people don't like the ZZZFACE textures!

Those are amongst some of my favorite textures to map with in the entire stock Doom 2 texture library. They are like Quake textures that somehow were placed in Doom 2. I agree with Doomkid on this, Y'all crazy.

4 hours ago, Capellan said:

I have no time for ROCK4 or ROCK5.  They simply don't look good on Doom's smooth walls, particularly at modern resolutions.

These are actually Wolfenstein textures.

Not really sure what it's called, one of the red warning signs in the original Doom. It's just kind of lame.

3 hours ago, DavitW said:

Not really sure what it's called, one of the red warning signs in the original Doom. It's just kind of lame.

I think it is GRAYDANG.

I actually kinda like the cement textures, probably because they're all grimy looking.  That said I don't often use them as a primary wall texture, a whole room of CEMENT ends up looking busy a lot of the time I find.  But I love them for their use in detailing and certain types of gritty decor, plus the hazard stripes are fun to poach as trim and the like.  

On the other hand, I also like grimy crumbly concrete IRL too so I may be a bit biased in this case

textures are beautiful

the worst ones in stock doom/doom 2 are the safest ones that you can monotexture with, cos that sucks

19 hours ago, Wavy said:

Yep. Here's the original post:

Looks completely out of place compared to the other textures IMO. I think it'd work better in something like Quake.

Is that the texture that only appears in refinery?

2 hours ago, RetroAkaMe said:

Is that the texture that only appears in refinery?

Yes

21 hours ago, Wavy said:

Edit: I also want to add this one from Doom 1:

I remember seeing this texture in some wads. I can't remember in which but I've seen that texture a couple of times

8 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

I actually kinda like the cement textures, probably because they're all grimy looking.  That said I don't often use them as a primary wall texture, a whole room of CEMENT ends up looking busy a lot of the time I find.  But I love them for their use in detailing and certain types of gritty decor, plus the hazard stripes are fun to poach as trim and the like.  

On the other hand, I also like grimy crumbly concrete IRL too so I may be a bit biased in this case

See, I like the ICKWALL textures, because they "play nice" - not one of the CEMENT textures wraps horizontally or vertically all that well. Even the (admittedly useful at times) caution tape doesn't span the entirety of the texture! It's like it was perfectly calculated to be the texture that I see the least potential uses for. Every room I've ever made that did use it feels "ugly in a bad way"..

8 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

I'm all about giving love to unloved textures

DOOM0343.png

DOOM0344.png

I suppose I retract my statement from earlier =p

21 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

DOBWIRE.png.4a5c0a928fe21910e4e45fc2c28eb2ee.pngDOBWIRE2.png.76fff476725d2b8695f5a665d41fa949.png

Don't forget these masterpieces also from TNT. The green pixels are actually an error I'm pretty sure, you can see the same weird green pixels on the sphinx texture in Misri Halek from Alien Vendetta. Maybe it's some weird artifacting from the way you would remove the background of an image in some ancient 90s photo editor?

There is no other answer; Drake O'Brien's textures in TNT are the absolute worst. They are little more than MS paint-tier trash which is made even worse by, as you described, the artifacts surrounding all his textures. It's painfully obvious they were drawn on a cyan background and were converted to Doom's palette with the antialiasing becoming green pixels. Its embarrassingly awful and such an eyesore, I made replacements to try and fix them.

Edited by Scuba Steve

Is it wrong that part of the reason I don't play PC Final Doom is because most of the new graphics look like ass? Ugly graphics take me out of the game. I know id wasn't involved in FD, but most of the new textures and definitely those splash screens should have never been approved.

On 10/6/2021 at 5:45 AM, Wavy said:

GRAYTALL.png.ce6223ce026bacf37b92e2ef72abf46b.png

I hate it with every damn fibre of my being.

Hey, I like greytall. 

Also in 50 shades of grey tall I love all of the textures they use.. I guess I have a penchant for loving the infamous textures unironically.

Some textures I hate? Well, I hate ...uh.

I dunno.

I don't like seeing a bunch of startan 2 because it makes me think of really new maps.. I remember doing that on my first.

Also my doom builders default texture isn't startan... It's crate1 and cratop 1 and 2 as the ceiling and floor! I'm using DBX by the way

4 minutes ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

Also in 50 shades of grey tall I love all of the textures they use.. I guess I have a penchant for loving the infamous textures unironically.

I actually think 50 Shades of GREYTALL works really well with its texture constraint, and as stated, I don't like GREYTALL (but I like FIREBLU though!).

4 minutes ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

Also my doom builders default texture isn't startan... It's crate1 and cratop 1 and 2 as the ceiling and floor! I'm using DBX by the way

That's just a DBX thing. I believe you can change it in the preferences.