Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain POLAND

What powerup would you want IRL?

This thing. Imagine being able to use this to immediately and permanently convince anyone to agree with your point of view (in the game, it would turn convert enemies to your side and they would attack other monsters).

Screenshot_Hexen_20211007_170718a.png

Berzerk pack, easy choice. The visual effects are temporary but it never runs out.

Partial invisibility is basically useless, most people would have good enough vision to see you. Having berserk would be the equivalent of being the strongest human. Now then there's invulnerability. You can do anything if you're not afraid of death.

The backpack.

No seriously, I need another backpack since the one I have has had the zipper broken :(.

You all are forgetting that we all have a computer map in our phones. Guess that doesn't count in the powerup essentials but STILL, it's there.

35 minutes ago, Widosm said:

Now then there's invulnerability. You can do anything if you're not afraid of death.

What if you fell in the middle of the ocean, watching the black inverted sunlight forever retreat as you helplessly wait for the timer to run out and drown!!

Give me the health potions. Hopefully they'll help me cure my Coke addiction by giving me something healthier to drink (unless I get addicted to the blue bottles too).

Invulnerability and Berserk pack, why? Because all i want is to see red and live forever rather it killing demons or pounding in the bed room......As long i don't punch anything.

Berserk seems like a steroid drug which throws you in to a violent rage so no thanks. I also wouldn't want an Invincibility sphere either, because what people seem to forget about living forever is the loss you deal with along the way and the fact that eventually the world will end being fried by the sun in its red giant phase. I don't want to see that.  Then what you just drift in space forever? No thanks to those, just give me a Soulsphere or Megasphere, something that just makes me feel good and heals you.

Getting a timed powerup seems like a waste when there are permanent ones anyway. I can’t think of many situations where I’d need to be invulnerable specifically for 30 seconds, or “slightly hard to see” for 60 seconds.

The berserk lasts for several years IIRC, so if it puts you into sort of a roid rage, that just sounds like a hellish life..!

The berserk wouldn't last a life time, and seems incredibly dangerous for out-of-mission situations.

The various holy spheres seem uncontrollable by human beings. You merely get close to them and they trigger. 

Given their weakness in Doom, I suspect the bonuses are small trinkets which just seem to help Doomguy. In particular the health bottles look like rubbing alcohol to me. 

Computer area map seems like standard UAC appliance, nothing out of the ordinary. 

So speaking of this, here is what I would like IRL: the RADIATION SHIELDING SUIT. It would probably protect against other dangers too, seems like a useful equipment anyway. The LIGHT AMPLIFICATION VISOR is also something I'd love to use sometimes. 

Invulnerability.

Partial Invisibility would be cool if it wasn't partial.

Megasphere/Supercharge just gives you more health.

Light Amp would improve my vision, but it's already pretty good.

Rad suit would be useless, cuz I don't work in a place filled with toxins.

Berserk would be cool, but I never really fight anyone irl.

Computer Area Map would let me see every place on Earth, but I can already do that with Google Earth/Maps.

Backpack won't need, cuz I already have one.

On jeudi 7 octobre 2021 at 7:59 PM, pcorf said:

Wings of Wrath, Tome of Power, Megasphere and Berserk

Wings of Wrath would definitely be the most fun to use IRL.

Light amp would be handy at night, it's definitely more powerful than an actual lamp.

Shadowsphere could be amusing, too.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:42 PM, Kyka said:

For the purposes of this discussion, the super shotty is a powerup.

I'll take that please.

In that case, I'd love a doom rocket launcher. Rapid firing rockets and no need to reload, a truly heavenly weapon

I'll consider only power-ups.

Assuming they'd be permanent, I'd avoid invulnerability like the plague. Unless you actually want your eyes burned out of your sockets that is... Everything being fullbright inverse monochrome except the sky would be a heavy price to pay indeed.

People saying Radiation Suit, I don't think you'd want to rely on a leaky suit to protect you from radiation. Near strong sources, a 2.3% chance every second of radiation leaking through that would shorten your life-span by 20% is not something I'd bet my life on.

Partial Invisibility would be a weird one. Nobody would ever know what you actually look like, just a shimmering blob, the visibility of which depends on the surrounding illumination. Could be useful for some night ops, but that's about it.

Light Amp Visor - not sure how you'd manage to get any sleep with everything being fullbright forever more.

Berserk... not sure I'd want to risk that.

Megasphere and Supercharge - Could be an option if it doubled your life expectancy. Assuming 100% health is normal, living ~150-160 years could be an enticing option. But only if it also slowed down ageing by the appropriate amount. There are way too many unknowns about how exactly do these spheres work, so it would not be that clear of a choice to me.

If I had to choose one on the spot, it'd probably be Computer Area Map. The ability to know the layout of any place before you even enter... it seems like a very good thing. Assuming you count Earth as a single level, I'd probably take that.

Although a magical backpack, that would allow me to carry double of anything I could normally carry, could be a nice option too....

So yeah, either Computer Area Map or the "Doubler" backpack.