Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

1 hour ago, SilentD00mer said:

How did you get it running on linux? What version of proton you are using?

Aparently he used Wine instead

16 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

How did you get it running on linux? What version of proton you are using?

oh i used wine though i would assume that with proton it would run out of the box right? well anyway just spam the space key until you rear a gunshot sound after that you will be on the menu and you can play the game

just keep in mind that it can be a little unstable and seeing the credits crashes the game

IDK if anyone else has mentioned or asked @sponge but are there any QoL or additional features planned for this port outside of more map sets? I ask because I am a bit miffed at the lack of a follow toggle on the automap, there's no way to pan it around without moving yourself, I feel like that could be accomplished by pressing in one of the sticks. Quake recently got dramatically improved input for turning/looking and while Doom is strictly turning I do think it's pretty rigid at times, so much to the point I think I've come to accept I will not play as well as I would otherwise with a gamepad on PC which isn't something I do for Doom on the computer.

@Lila Feuer Tbh, I am pretty sure that this port will not get any more updates. The last one was released about a year ago, and devs are not respondong to any questions regarding them. It's a shame, because I really like some things in this port, such as its wad support on consoles, but it is in an incomplete state, and it lacks many features and it crashes all the time on switch, where I play it the most. The best we will get are new pwads every 4 months.

Weird, never experienced a crash on Switch. In fact the only game that crashed on Switch for me was Duke 3D. Thanks Randy.

Not really devs to talk about here, it is just myself, and I have been working on Quake.

I looked into the Switch crashes on sleep many times but was never able to fully solve it. I found one issue I was able to fix, but it seems people are running into another now.

There's always going to be requests and such that could be added but I'm not sure what's missing or incomplete at this point, especially compared to previous official releases.

24 minutes ago, sponge said:

I looked into the Switch crashes on sleep many times but was never able to fully solve it. I found one issue I was able to fix, but it seems people are running into another now.

What exactly is that other issue people are running into? I can look further into that

On 10/9/2021 at 5:34 AM, Lila Feuer said:

I've come to accept I will not play as well as I would otherwise with a gamepad on PC which isn't something I do for Doom on the computer.

I find turning off V-Sync and maxing sensitivity for turning helps a lot.

8 hours ago, sponge said:

There's always going to be requests and such that could be added but I'm not sure what's missing or incomplete at this point, especially compared to previous official releases.

Rebindable controls on PS4, please (and other platforms lacking them). It would be comfortable just in general, also it would be helpful for people with certain handicaps (hand injuries, missing fingers, etc).

On 10/12/2021 at 2:54 AM, sponge said:

Been playing on the switch until it broke recently, and I say rebindable controls for the consoles would be the top priority.

That and customizable d-pad weapons.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:54 PM, sponge said:

Not really devs to talk about here, it is just myself, and I have been working on Quake.

I know my opinion on this doesn't really matter but I just made an account to say I agree with the others in saying that full rebindable controls would be great.

There are currently five unused buttons on controller and three missing weapon hotkeys. There are enough buttons to have full weapon hotkeys and a map follow mode toggle.

You could even add Turn Left, Turn Right and Strafe Modifier binds (left unbound by default) so speedrunners could try to SR50 on controller.

If I had full customizable controls I'd personally put Use on one of the bumpers, the map on Back and use the face buttons, the sticks and the remaining bumper for weapon hotkeys.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, blabbloo said:

I know my opinion on this doesn't really matter but I just made an account to say I agree with the others in saying that full rebindable controls would be great.

There are currently five unused buttons on controller and three missing weapon hotkeys. There are enough buttons to have full weapon hotkeys and a map follow mode toggle.

You could even add Turn Left, Turn Right and Strafe Modifier binds (left unbound by default) so speedrunners could try to SR50 on controller.

If I had full customizable controls I'd personally put Use on one of the bumpers, the map on Back and use the face buttons, the sticks and the remaining bumper for weapon hotkeys.

This port has SR50 by default, you just need to fully press diagonal. Also, both Xbox and Switch have rebindable controls in the system settings (although no analog input rebinding).

31 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

This port has SR50 by default, you just need to fully press diagonal. Also, both Xbox and Switch have rebindable controls in the system settings (although no analog input rebinding).

I didn't know about SR50, good.

I've already changed the bindings via system settings on Switch, but we still don't have all weapon hotkeys and map follow mode toggle.

One feature i thought was neat was digital versions of 1/2/Ultimate/Final's manuals (and D2 master levels level descriptions), even if stuff like controls and the Berserk's timing have to be changed. (because even the manual thinks it's timed but some manuals fixed it i think)

Then stuff like the "original lore" like Doom 2's intro contradicting the first game's ending and a lot of descriptions and campy 90's personality lingo stays.

As in, "please don't retcon the Arachnotron and Revenant's entries to suit the new games' lore, just saying".

But imagine lore youtube videos about the Cyberdemon turned into a Doomguy from the Cabal series lol.

An "art of classic Doom" gallery could be cool if contacts and talks were to be made with Gregor Punchatz, Adrian Carmack and even Romero.

I also wonder if there were ever any plans for the Doom 3 side of things.

Maybe not the similar "fan addon" treatment, obviously since D3 mods are more complicated.

But i do think of QoL additions like a concept art gallery (i think Xbox version had a video but still), some model showcase ala 2016/Eternal and... were enemy descriptions ever a thing? I think a codex system with gameplay strategies and info like 2016/Eternal is cool.

Then there's stuff like this https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_3:_BFG_Edition#Differences_with_Doom_3

Because i think D3 deserves better.

Off-topic, sorry.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:09 AM, whatup876 said:

I also wonder if there were ever any plans for the Doom 3 side of things.

All I really want is gyroscopic aiming for the Switch and PS4 port. It probably won't happen at this point because no one really complained about the D3 ports being buggy or a poor representation of the original game (ignoring the fact that it's based off of the BFG Edition), unlike the initial release of the Classic Doom ports which were pretty rough and led to outcry from fans.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:33 AM, Agent Slacker said:

All I really want is gyroscopic aiming for the Switch and PS4 port. It probably won't happen at this point because no one really complained about the D3 ports being buggy or a poor representation of the original game (ignoring the fact that it's based off of the BFG Edition), unlike the initial release of the Classic Doom ports which were pretty rough and led to outcry from fans.

A thousand times this. I don't understand why gyro aiming was left out; the port was done by Panic Button who have included gyro aiming in their other Switch titles. 

The only thing I've seen that (I think) is wrong in BTSX2 is that there are 3 homs in Theory of Broken Circles, but I haven't played the idgames version yet so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be that way.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:33 AM, Agent Slacker said:

The Doom 3 port also lacks the ability to reconfigure your button layout, and I really don't like the default one.

56 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

So this happened with the Limited Run Games version of the Switch port.

I imagine that’s probably linked to the fact that you can download addons from online.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

I imagine that’s probably linked to the fact that you can download addons from online.

yeah, its probably that, but the game shouldn't be blocked from playing if one doesn't link.
Imagine that, for some reason you don't have wifi.
The game will shut down or will be unplayable just for that.
:/

Yo @sponge

I've just made an account to say I love console doom. I've never had a PC but watched endless amounts of doom on YouTube and always wanted to play megawads myself which the unity port has thankfully delivered. I loved BTSX! 100% kills and secrets on everything added so far (even dreaded map 15 of btsx 2). I just wanted to ask if there will be more official doom megawads added like BTSX in the near future. Since I'm such a big fan I complete the wads pretty quick and then eagerly anticipate the next ones lol (I try and keep myself busy while waiting and do single saveless 100% runs on each map and it's a blast). Thanks 😁

There have been a new update on Switch but it does not do anything, in case you guys were curious. Freezes and invisible menu opening during gameplay still occur, no new features, no nothing. That's too bad.

There are more add-on releases planned still, just busy with lots of Quake stuff, and starting the Quake add-ons.

The update was just a version number bump for the physical release, it is the same build as the last one.

As far as I know, Doom 1 and 2 is playable offline with no WiFi, you just need a linked Nintendo account before you launch the game.

1 hour ago, NieMaMordy said:

There have been a new update on Switch but it does not do anything, in case you guys were curious. Freezes and invisible menu opening during gameplay still occur, no new features, no nothing. That's too bad.

It probably has to do with the Limited Run Games release of the DOOM trilogy. I'm a bit bummed out that no QoL changes have been added.

16 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

So this happened with the Limited Run Games version of the Switch port.

So much for "games preservation" on LRG's part... Then again selling physical versions of digitally released games in limited quantities already defeats that purpose.

Imagine having enough money to afford a console and a game for it, which can only be purchased via internet for a limited amount of time, but then being unable to connect to the internet for 5 minutes in order to connect an account to it.

12 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Imagine having enough money to afford a console and a game for it, which can only be purchased via internet for a limited amount of time, but then being unable to connect to the internet for 5 minutes in order to connect an account to it.

not really the point. the point is for when the servers inevitably go down forever in a decade or so. preservation is important.