Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garu32

Opinions on Windows 11

For the people that has Windows 11: ¿How do you feel about the Operative System? I personally like it a lot!

Only been using it for a few hours.

So far I think they did a great job on the settings app. So much nicer how the settings are presented and you can customize more things than before.

The new theme disappoints me a bit. They didn't invest enough work in making sure it also looks good for uxtheme apps. Since that's about half their OS it is a bit hit and miss when it looks nice and when it doesn't.

The start menu was better in Windows 10 where I could at least categorize my pinned app. It is also pretty retarded that if you turn off the suggestions section it stays there consuming just as much space with a silly message telling you to enable it again.

The worst change I've seen so far has to be alt-tab. Bringing back the Windows 7 full screen blur effect on alt-tab was a horrible decision.

Oh, and as usual, more spam bundled with the OS. Luckily that stuff could just be uninstalled with a simple right click.

4 hours ago, dpJudas said:

The worst change I've seen so far has to be alt-tab. Bringing back the Windows 7 full screen blur effect on alt-tab was a horrible decision.

Can that nonsense at least be switched off? The first thing I did on Windows 7 was to disable all those fugly translucency effects that didn't improve anything and only got in the way.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Can that nonsense at least be switched off? The first thing I did on Windows 7 was to disable all those fugly translucency effects that didn't improve anything and only got in the way.

You can disable the blur effect itself, but that will just change it into a full screen fill rect instead.

I blocked Windows 11 from installing via a registry tweak.

I'm not in any rush to install it until it is proven to be stable enough for everyday use.

I upgraded my laptop that I use for school and things that I don't wanna use my main PC for. It's fine at best, but I don't want to upgrade my main PC until months to years down the line. It feels like Windows 10 with some character and pizazz added, but there are some things that I don't like about it, such as the inability to select a specific battery saver option (better battery -> better preformance) in the battery menu. Instead of one menu for battery, one for volume, and one for wifi settings, it's all lumped together awkwardly in a single menu like it's a tablet or whatever. Speaking of which, it feels tailor made for tablets and 2 in 1 devices, which my laptop is a 2 in 1 but it's incredibly rare if I ever use the touchscreen. 

I didn't like the new Start menu, either. Got wayyyy too in the way of my muscle memory from using previous versions of Windows. It looks tacky and ugly. 

Least favorite part of the new version though, is the fact that the reason I was excited for the OS in the first place... isn't there, at least right now. Task View on Win11 has new customization options, but those only amount to changing the wallpaper and the name of the desktop. Taskbar icons stay the same, as well as desktop icons for whatever reason.

At the moment, it's not too great, but I bet in a few years it'll become an OS that I simply just tolerate like Win10. 

I have mixed feelings about whether this is something I should look into or just ignore for the time being.

Until Windows 10 approaches EOL I'm not interested in switching. I hope by then there's a good equivalent to Classic Shell, because Windows got the start menu right 20 years ago and there's no reason to keep changing it just for the sake of change.

I haven't tried it. I've been a full time Linux user since about 2007. For a little while I kept a Windows partition for gaming but eventually I wiped it because I didn't really use it. Now most of the games I play work on Linux anyway, and I still have all my innumerable old consoles hooked up.

not interested, and probably not even gonna install it because I already have some bad experience from Win 10. From what I've seen, Win 11 looks like a mix between Win 10, Mac and Linux distros.