Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Berzerker

Berzerker's D3editor/D3Radiant Tutorials for Beginners

XvFSMY1.gif

Doom 3 Basic Editor Mapping tutorials only

Note: This will be a work in progress and written pages for downloading and printing will be added as I make them. In this first post will be a list of all the tutorials, videos or websites I find and will be updated periodically. This way you don't have to scroll through to find the one you want, they will be listed here in the first post. If  you want me to post your tutorials or ones you know of then place them in this thread so that I can keep them separated and organized: Doom 3 and Doom 3 editor problems  

Tutorials Video

Special thanks to Arl for inviting me to join the Discord idtech 4 channel where I found these:

3D BUZZ Doom 3 Tutorials

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: Series 1 introduction    3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 2. Intro to DoomEdit       3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 3. DoomEdit UI overview

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 4. Brush Basics            3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 5. Viewport Navigation    3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 6. Basic Room

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 7. Selections                3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 8. Regions                      3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 9. Vertices and Edges 

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 10. CSG Operations       3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 11. Brush Clipping          3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 12. Entities

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 13. Binding entities        3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 14. Basic Triggers           3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 15. Basic GUIs

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 16. Lifts                        3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 17. Doors                       3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 18. Ladders

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 19. Texture Alignments   3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 20. Series 2 introduction  3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 21. Intro to script

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 22. ConTEXT              3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 23. First Script                3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 24. Controlling Movers

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 25. Comments               3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 26. Intro to Functions       3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 27. Object Setup         

moddb.com

ModDB.com

Katsbits Thanks to Mr.Rocket

katsbits 

Tomas Barak's Rotating lights: Thanks Lippeth

Modding Doom 3 Part 14 - Build a Klaxon

Tomas Barak's full tutorial playlist

Berzerker's Picks:

Daz 3D Studio:

Daz 3D Studio

Hitfilm Express:

Hitfilm Express

This one the free license is a little tricky. At the download page stay on it while it is downloading and installing and on the first start of the program and everything should go alright.

Do not download and close the Hitfilm Express website window and install it, this will give you an error on loading the free license.

Edited by Berzerker

Opening the editor

There are two ways this can be done. The first is to start Doom 3 and once in the start screen hold "Ctrl+Atl+~" this will bring down the console and type "editor" and hit enter on your keyboard but this is a little long on waiting. The other way is to edit a shortcut for it. To make a shortcut is by right clicking on your Doom 3 iconNumz0az.png and click create shortcut.

Note: "You might be presented with a box that says can not place shortcut here do you want place one on your desktop instead" Say "Yes".  Mine did not it just placed two icons on my desktop. Now there should be two icons on your desktop that are named Doom 3. Right click on the Doom 3 shortcut you just made and scroll down to "Properties" and click it. Once there you will see a popup that looks like this: 

AWLiUah.png

In the "target field" you will find something like this depending on where you installed your base doom 3 game folders: 

9Tuvy2X.png

I placed mine where the disc suggested and it looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe". Notice the quotation marks around the text in this field, Do not edit anything within these two brackets. Instead click behind the end quotation mark and add one space by hitting the space bar.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. There are so many sites that you can go to and the all have different opinions for what to place behind the ".exe"

Another shout out to Lippeth for giving me this but it did not work just right for me. He said place this behind the ".exe"

After Doom3.exe: +set fs_game base +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_brightness 0 +set r_gamma 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +vid_restart +editor 

He might be using a monitor to need the: (+set fs_game base +set r_brightness 0 +set r_gamma 0) parts

It is true that to get yours to work properly you will use some or all of these. If your lucky all you will have to place is: "+editor" (Without the quotation marks)

Note: After the ".exe" there will be no more quotation marks used that I know of.

When I first opened the editor I got this: 

9MP06xm.png

Notice you can't read the Tool Icons below the File menu on the top row. This is because my computer resolution was set too high.

I'm setting mine up n a 65" TV screen and all of this was not needed for my setup.

Ohers I found where:

D3 Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: +set r_fullscreen 0 +editor +com_allowconsole 1

moddb.com: +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +wait +wait +wait +editor (I never used the "+wait" in mine or haven't seen it anywhere else yet)

What worked for me: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\Doom3.exe" +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +vid_restart +editor +com_allowconsole 1

Note the: "+com_allowconsole 1" allows you to no longer have to hold "Ctrl+Alt+~" to open the console you just hit the "~" key and this will open the console.

Note: If you are using a TV as a monitor you will probably have to lower your resolution on your computer till you get the right resolution for it to be displayed correctly on your screen. Even then you might have to resize your editor windows and move them around to get how you want your editor to look.

Once I finished:

xnesDCw.png

Once it is looking the way you want another tip is to open the preference box by clicking on "Edit"  in the editor and it will bring up the preference dialog box that looks like this:

RD6riTW.png

And check the patch toolbar to add the patch toolbar your layout like this if it doesn't have it already.

Editor restart required

oQgPbwz.png

Note: The "Use +setgame for run" and "Run game after QBSP3" are no longer used and can not be checked.

Thanks again to Lippeth for letting me know this it was about to drive me crazy.

Lippeth added:

Something I want to mention as well. Things like "com_allowconsole" and other commands that are useful for regular gameplay as well as the editor can be added to an autoexec file. It just keeps things feeling cleaner to me. I tend to trash my config files when loading new maps and mods to avoid issues, and having a few key options enabled by default makes the process go more smoothly, so I thought I would mention it.

I will be adding a printable version to this later in case someone wants to keep it handy.

If I made any mistakes please let me know here:  Doom 3 and Doom 3 editor problems so I can correct them before I make the printable version.

If you don't like having the same icons for your game and editor I made some here: Doom 1 and 2 Icons

Some are for doom 1&2 but there are some for D3 and ROE also.

Edited by Berzerker

ZrAehau.png

A quick overview of the D3Radiant window

Editor Window

SLdYeUL.png

Cam window: Lets you view your map in real time to see how the placement of brushes, textures, monsters and Players will look while you’re building your map.

2D view: Views the map brushes, textures, monsters and Players placed in a 2D view

You can select for them to be shown in bounding box, wireframe, selected wireframe, selected skinned, skinned and skinned and boxed

Entity and Texture window:

Cm82dRG.png

Allows you to edit entity class, insert textures and the console displays map information.

Note: You can double click on any of the buttons at the bottom (Entity, Media, Textures and Console) and it will bring up that specific window).

To close just click the (X) button. Your last selection will now be first in the list.

Entity button: Let’s you change values of entities you have placed in the map.

Example: The value of a light (the brightness or colors…etc.)

Media button: Lets you choose what is inserted into your map such as textures, sounds, materials …etc.

Texture button: Displays a window of textures your have loaded into the editor.

Console button: Displays map information that’s being used in the map and will show compiling errors

when BSP is used.

Shift, scale and rotate bar:

ohoIwyP.png

Allows you to shift, scale and rotate brushes and textures.

Curser location:

qwyyVee.png

Displays mouse curser location according to its location within the map.

Brush Size bar: 

binJYSW.png

Lets you know the X,Y and Z size (brush dimensions) of the brush your currently working with.

Z bar:

UT220PI.png

This toolbar allows you to move or resize the brushes you have selected within the editor in the Z axis only.

To move click inside the red objects in this field and move up or down.

To resize click outside the red objects in this field and move up or down.

If I've misrepresented something or got it wrong let me know here: Doom 3 and Doom 3 editor problems

Then I will remove this Thanks

Edited by Berzerker

ZrAehau.png

D3Radiant file menu bar

D3Radiant has several toolbars to let you be able to do a wide variety of things on the fly. The first one you will see at the top left I call the "file menu bar"

This tutorial only covers the first in the  list: "File"

File menu bar:

ro2Ajdz.png

When clicked you get a drop down menu.

Note: "Open, save as" go to this location: : "C:\program files (86)\Doom 3\base\maps" or where yours is installed. So you can open and save in the same folder.

Whereas "load project" is stored in the "C:\program files (86)\Doom 3\base\maps\games" folder

Open Drop down menu:

dEGjr8M.png

List of drop down menu and what they do:

New map: This will open a new map if you a currently in a map you will be prompted to save it or not.

Note: Make sure your project settings are set to whatever time you desire between saves this is very important.

Load: Pretty much another open map button.

Save: saves the map so you will keep any progress that you've added at that time (no drop down appears).

Note: I will still hit this from time to time even though I have my save to every 5 minutes.

Save as:

Bc4z1Aj.png

This will give your map a name so that you can load it quickly. The maps should be in your Doom game folder under the drive letter you used, the folder name where you installed it, then base, then maps

Example of my location: C:\program files (86)\Doom 3\base\maps

Save selected: Opens the "save as" box.  

Load project:

Opens the projects file path to load a recent project you're working on or a current project you're working on 

My project path:  "C:\program files (86)\Doom 3\base\maps\games" folder

65spm6l.png

Project settings:

Jvwt6rS.png

This pulls up a menu where you can change the project setting of the editor

You can change the base path, maps path, entity path, texture path so you can load different things (sources) from other files or sources or get resources from other  games.

Pointfile: This will be very important to you as your maps get bigger and more is added to them.

If a map fails to BSP (build the map) this will show you all the problems that are stopping it from compiling (building it so it can function as a playable map).

Last maps opened: x3gt8Kc.png

This is located right below Pointfile. As you make more maps there will be a list of recently opened maps located here for quick opening. This list will grow as you add more maps or other files you’ve opening such as prefabs.

Exit: Closes the Editor and if a map is open you will be prompted to save or not.

Next up "Edit"

Edited by Berzerker

ZrAehau.png

Edit Button

Edit Button:

m4yFVoT.png

Undo (Ctrl-Z) undoes your last action in the map. This can be used multiple times.

Copy (Ctrl-C): Copies any objects you have selected in the map.

Paste (Ctrl-V): Pastes any objects you have selected in the map.

Delete (Backspace) Deletes any objects you have selected in the map.

Map info:

N9GeTQW.png

Displays a box that tells you how many brushes and Entities you have in the current map

Entity info:

6cAxJYJ.png

Opens the Entities box that tells you the number of entities you have in the current map.

Brush Scripts:  Scripts you have written for brushes.

Load Prefab: 

0RR17n0.png

Opens the open box to load Prefabs you have or have downloaded.

Save selected as Prefab:

Bc4z1Aj.png

Opens the "save in" box. 

Note: you will probably need to create a folder to store these in.

Preferences:

RD6riTW.png

Opens the Preferences box.

Edited by Berzerker

B6agIjP.png                                                                                                                        

View button

View button: 

55Lsh5b.png

Lists what and how you view it. 

view:

55Lsh5b.png

Toggle:

cc6Uzm9.png

Note: this box turns off and on panes of your editor.

Center (End): Centers the cameras view.

Up Floor (pageUp): Moves the camera up.

Down Floor (PageDown): moves the camera down.

Next (XY, YZ, XY) (Ctrl-Tab): Toggles though the Top, Front and side views

Layout: Lets you you choose what view is displayed (Top, Front or side)

Zoom:

ldvJKqB.png

XY 100%: Zooms in 100% on X or Y axis.

XY Zoom In (Delete): zooms in on Front or side view.

XY Zoom Out (Insert): Zooms out on Front or side view.

Z 100%: Zooms in 100% on the Z axis only.

Z Zoom In (Ctrl-Delete): Zooms in on Z axis only.

Z Zoom Out (Ctrl-Insert): Zooms out on Z axis only.

Cubic Clipping Zoom In: Note: I clicked this and nothing happened (?)

Cubic Clipping Zoom Out: note: I clicked this and nothing happened (?)

Show:

PoW9Noj.png

Gives a list of all Entities, Brushes, etc. you can choose to show in the current map.

Hide: 

YOrPlIs.png

Hide Selected (H): Hides selected objects in current map. 

Note: If you find an object in your way you can select it and choose to hide it (Make it invisible). Just click "Show Hidden" (Shift-H) to make them visible again.

Hide Not selected (Shift-Ctrl- H):  Hides all objects in current map.

Show Hidden (Shift-H): unhides all objects in current map.

Cycle Precision Cursor (F 11): I have no idea what this does (?)

View Entities as:

mSibyNt.png

Note: You can select to show your players or monsters in different styles by choosing one of the selected styles above.

Cubic Clipping (Ctrl-\) Toggles Cubic Clipping off or on. 

Note: Cubic Clipping acts like a pair of scissors to a brush.

Render Presets:

GPkooKH.png

Toggles Render modes off or on.

Edited by Berzerker

B6agIjP.png

Selection Button

Selection Button:

pZSJ7Rl.png

Drag Button:

axgSZSh.png

Drag Edges (E): Allows you to edit the shape of brushes by manipulating them from the edge of the brush.

Drag Vertices (V): Allows you to edit the shape of brushes by manipulating them from the vertices.

Clone (Space Bar): Makes a copy (Duplicate) of any brushes or entities you have selected in the current map.

Deselect (Escape) (ESC): Deselects anything chosen in the current map you have selected (High lighted).

Flip Button:

PPfJMpW.png

Flip X: Flips selected objects in the X axis

Flip Y: Flips selected objects in the Y axis

Flip Z: Flips selected objects in the Z axis

Rotate Button:

7t2rt2m.png

Rotate X: Rotates selected objects in the X axis

Rotate Y: Rotates selected objects in the Y axis

Rotate Z: Rotates selected objects in the  Z axis

Scale: Scales selected objects larger or smaller from the original size.

CSG: 

OZcLKXr.png

CSG Hollow: Hollows out solid brushes

CSG Subtract: Subtracts brushes from one another (De-Attaches them) Removes parts of brushes from one another

CSG Merge: Joins two or more brushes as one

Select Button:

Y8ympxc.png

My understanding of this is limited so I'll provide a tutorial that can do it better than me.

3D Buzz Doom 3 Tutorials: 7. Selections - YouTube 

Can be found also in the first post 

Clipper Button: 

HrbAHiN.png

Clipper works like a pair of scissors to a brush.

Clip Selection (Return) (Enter): Clips/Cuts brushes in sections

Split Selectedion (Shift-Return) (Shift-Enter):  It splits a brush in one or more parts

Note: Selectedion is not a real word at least in the dictionary I use (?)

Flip Clip Orientation (Ctrl-Return) (Ctrl-Enter): Clips then flips the orientation of selected brush.

Connect Entities (Ctrl-K): Connects two or more brushes to make one solid

Ungroup Entity (Shift-G): detaches selected brushes from one another

Make detail: To be honest I clicked this and nothing ever happens

Make Structural: Same with this one

Combine (Shift-K): combines selected entities/brushes

Export:

tHp2LST.png

To OBJ: Exports selected objects as an solid object/entity

To CM: (?) To be filled in later