Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mayomancer

Have you ever changed your opinion on a game?

I'm sure some of you have once ended up losing interest and dropping games or shows halfway through. Have you ever come back to it after some time and realized it's actually great? Or come to dislike one you enjoyed in the past?

For context, i bought NieR: Automata the year it released (totally not because of all the fan art...)and i played it a bit up until the spaceship part (barely 10 hours into the game). Then, i just had a ton of sidequests to do, not sure how to progress, and my impression of the combat and mechanics at the time was really not that good. Not sure how these chips work, cant find the stuff to upgrade my weapons... So i lost interest and put it in hiatus.

But recently i bought NieR: Replicant 1.22474487139 since it was on sale, and really really liked it. So i decided to come back to Automata and... got endings A to E on the last 2 days, it all just seemed to click and i loved the game. There's still a lot to do in both games and i'm really hyped to complete them.

Edited by Mayomancer

Only two come to mind. I picked Morrowind up around 2004 in the bargain bin of a local games shop. Had never heard of the game, but the fact that it was first person was probably what got my attention. I didn't really take in what the back said. Installed it, played for about 10 minutes, thought it was boring and quit. Holidays came, and I decided to give it another go. Played a bit longer, and then suddenly realised "Wait... the sun is about to set over the ocean!" My jaw dropped as I watched my first sunset in a game ever. That's when the reality of what it actually was, a literal virtual world with day and night, weather and the like, finally hit me. Spent many nights those holidays playing sometimes till the sun came up.

Next would be the Shadow Warrior remake. I heard good things about it, fired it up, and initially liked the combat and how it looked. But the cracks began to show quickly. The combat became painfully dull and reptitive, and the level design was astoundingly terrible and horrifically linear. Stopped playing after about 45 minutes.

Castlevania : Harmony of Dissonance. I always liked the game but I thought it was one if not the worst castlevania games just because of how often players shit talk it over limitations it has due to hardware ( sound bit rate and super bright palette because the previous game got slammed for being too dark on the device). Having played a lot more castlevanias I have on idea how can people prefer a lot of those annoying older games with the fucking stairs mechanics and medusa heads trying to drop you into instadeath on said stairs.

I like challenge but having some godlike stairs that take away all your movement and a monster ( actually there are many other harder monsters camping stairs ) who moves erratically to try and push you off them is pure bullshit. I don't even think my hitpoints dropped to zero normally in those games. it was always bullshit pitfalls after a tight jump or stairs with flying shit indefinitely spawning to push you down. By comparison Harmony of Dissonance is light years ahead with enemy/level design and movement smoothness.

Yes.

Crash Bandicoot: Warped (The Ps1 version not the N.sane trilogy). What a shame I don't like this game anymore, I have memories of me playing this game as a kid, but now with me trying to collect everything in games I play this sours my fun. In order to beat that game 105% you need to collect time relics you get by beating any level as fast as possible, you just need the gold relics to get 105% but it doesn't just stop there, you can get Platinum relics which are the developer times. And boy getting these are a ball-buster.

There are normal platformer levels you know and love which are fairly easy to get Platinum, and then there are vehicle levels. And getting plat relics in the vehicle levels are those that will break you. And only just getting gold is already a chore in some levels. There is one level called 'Road Crash', guess the plat time you need to beat this level.  1:17:08 (one minute seventeen seconds and eight milliseconds) in the Pal version which I play on (or 1:17:10 on Ntsc). You need to do everything frame fucking perfect, it goes so far that you have to bounce off some cars while you are going with insane speeds which you only get by the first speed pad at the start of the level. I cannot describe in words the literal agony that is OG Crash Warped Platinum relic in Road Crash. Especially when you get a 1:17:17 like I did once. And to make matters worse, there are about as much vehicle levels as there are platformer levels about as hard as Road Crash, I'm not exaggerating. But I got every plat anyways so I don't have to do that again. I'm also thankful that in the N.sane trilogy they didn't make the relics as painful as the Ps1 version.

And don't get me started on Stormy Ascent...

That is also the reason why I'm not playing the newest Crash game. Fuck them relics. You can't pay me to do that. Ever.

1 hour ago, thiccyosh said:

...I have memories of me playing this game as a kid, but now with me trying to collect everything in games I play this sours my fun.

Oh i feel like if i did go for platinums i'd have a similar story with quite a few of the games i play. I don't think i've got any though, closest one is probably Dark Souls which i'm only two achievements away. Just thinking about doing MHW:Iceborne photograph quests makes my stomach turn.

Halo 4 starts off strong and quickly becomes meh, I have never beaten it and probably never will.  The multiplayer is fine but I have way too many issues with the games campaign.

Neverwinter Nights. First i didnt understand char. creation system based on dnd i think 3.5. Droped the game. Few years later gave it another chance. Finished 3-4 times.

I played The Wind Waker for the first time in like 2008 and didn't like it because I thought the sailing took too long and was incredibly dull. When Skyward Sword came out and did something vaguely similar with flying around in the sky, I realized that Wind Waker was actually fantastic since the sailing had new things to discover all the time. Nowdays, it's one of my favorite games in the series.

Speaking of Skyward Sword, I didn't like it either for the longest time. The big problems, controls aside, would be the backtrack heavy areas and the barebones sky that tried to do what Wind Waker did with sailing. What changed my opinion, funny enough, was playing yet another Zelda game, Phantom Hourglass, which takes some of the problems Skyward Sword had and amplifies them. PH has some of the worst padding / backtracking I've ever seen.

Some older console games I liked when they were new games and then came back to them nearly over a decade or more later I came to realize weren’t that great or just hadn’t aged well. 

Diablo 2, thought it was boring.

Than i dreamed how it was in Multiplayer and my Dream wasn't fooling me haha

Morrowind, i was to young for it and i had no Idea what i was doing. At least i had some Fun messing around.

Now i love it :)

And a whole Series! Castlevania.

Got my Gameboy back then with some Games, so Castlevania Adventures.

This Game really sucks and it does until today (but has awsome Music).

Never touched another one, seing Footage of other Entries only ensured my Desicion.

So with the Super Nintendo Mini i first played another one... and holy Sheet was it great.

So i replayed many of them the last few Years.

The AVGN Videos also helped me to know the bad Parts of the Games and to pass them without stress.

I even like Castlevania 64 pretty much!

Doom 3: my initial disappointment with how much it stood in contrast to the originals changed when I revisited the game years later, as well as playing the expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil. For all its faults, Doom 3 turned out to be an incredibly immersive and frequently engaging experience.

Twisted Metal 3: this title (along with TM4) were not developed by the original company, Singletrac. Instead, Sony's internal team 989 Studios delivered a product that felt like it had severely missed the mark. I, along with the majority of the TM community, hated it through and through. Playing it years later, it's a dialed-in, less effective version of something greater; an absolutely decent game that plays similarly to its predecessors. 

Spyro the Dragon: After playing the sequel, I decided the simplicity and straightforward nature of the original made it a superior title. Recently, I played all three titles on the PS4 remaster, and it's evident the original is the weakest while the other two are far more interesting. The original is an excellent platformer hindered by layout and gameplay ideas that make 100 percenting the game far more difficult than it should have been. 

Medievil: This experimental hack-n-slash platformer was a highly memorable experience during my PS1 days. The story, characters, enemies, weapons, art direction and soundtrack were perfect. Revisiting it via its PS4 remaster, it's clear that the frequently  awkward, static camera angles--often used in narrow transitional areas--were done out of necessity, in order to confirm to mid 90s hardware standards. This makes general movement challenging, and along with some frankly deplorable collision detection, I've since felt a bit soured on the title.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. When I was young and naive I worshipped the game. I thought it was the PS1's answer to Ocarina of Time. Having attempted to play through it again a couple of years ago, I was disappointed with just how badly it aged. The combat and movement are very sluggish and the block puzzles are tedious and boring. Shame, because it has some of the best dialogue and voice acting I've ever experienced in a game.

control, i didn't know what the game was about going into it, i kept dying and getting lost constantly, but once i started following the signposts scattered around the levels and using all abilities i earn it became much more enjoyable, i also really like how the game opens up more as you start gaining new abilities and using them to reach new areas. the story, the oldest house and all of its events started to make even more sense on repeated replays, who "the board" is, what those "motel" segments are for... then came ashtray maze and swift platform missions and solidified it as one my favorite games of 2019 (or 20 depending on the time you first played it)

The Messenger. I remember first playing it and thinking it was pretty meh, i got to the arcane golem and just gave up. Went back to it a few months later, I've played through the whole game several times and it's now one of my favorite games of all time .

Used to hate Doom actually, thought the level design sucked, I played on Dosbox as well. It wasn't until I started getting bored of modern fps level design and I started using source ports that I was able to enjoy Doom.

I have periods where I play Minecraft.

When I don't feel like playing it: Oh my god, this game is so boring...

When I  want to play it: Wow, I can stay up all night playing it to make my base.

System Shock 2. I tried to play it just like I'd play Doom and Duke Nukem 3D and unsurprisingly got my ass kicked. I thought it was bad and was ready to swear it off.

Then I went back and gave it another chance by not treating it like a run and gun game because it sure ain't that. And I had one hell of a time being spooked and wandering in the halls of the Von Braun. To this day, it's still amongst my favorite games ever made.

Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link

image.png.b46470835ea3c43cccb43fed587eb5b9.png

When I was just a wee lad, my mother purchased Zelda 2. We though it would be more like the first Zelda (my mom was actually a big fan of the game) but this was not the case. I played it for a little while, but I just couldn't seem to nail down the game play. I was always lost, did not know where to head to next, and dying all the time. It wasn't till many, many years later I picked it back up. Older and wiser, I grew to enjoy the difficulty and found myself playing for hours. It's not my favorite game, but I hold it in high regard.  

I guess it doesn't really count, but I played 1942 the other day, and I completely forgot just how atrociously bad the soundtrack is 

Blood, I thought that Doom is better than Blood until I finished the first episode.

25 minutes ago, Roofi said:

I have periods where I play Minecraft.

I feel the same, I sometimes play it on the phone and think "Meh", but on the Java edition (the PC one) I feel less bored.

5 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Blood, I thought that Doom is better than Blood until I finished the first episode.

Same. Of all the Build engine games it was my least favorite. Once I got used to all the different weapons and their variations, it became my favorite.

Yes, when i first time played half-life i did not like it at all, replaying the game years later i noticed the excellent level design, gun play, soundtrack and atmosphere that the game had and I ended up in love with the game.

Currently im playing through Quake 4.
As I am playing, I am changing between:

"Wow, I actually kinda enjoy this"
to
"Wow, im very bored."

A game that I have changed on completely?
Gotta say Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.
The first time I played it, I played it like Skyrim and if you havent played morrowind, you should know that you just cant play it that way.

After watching some videos about Morrowind and giving it one more try, I am loving this game!
I think its my favorite TES game. 

Burnout 3: Takedown.

Liked it at the time, now there are just too many things that absolutely infuriate me. The Aftertouch camera actively avoids showing you where the other racers are, and even when it doesn't you end up shooting vertically into the air during a crash so you can't make use of it anyway. Preview/burning laps have bullshit-anaemic time limits where even a perfect run only nets you silver. Crash Mode was completely ruined with the addition of multiplier tokens, meaning you end up aiming for those instead of the crash junction. Rubberbanding is completely one-sided. THEY GIMPED THE GODDAMN HOTROD!!

On reflection, Point of Impact really was the only good one (that game's Crash Mode still gets busted out a parties in my gaff), although I enjoyed Traffic Attack from Revenge.

I used to be rather "meh" with Quake when it first came out.  I didn't hate it or anything, but I didn't play it often because I thought it was inferior to Doom.  The change in how to map for it didn't help since the move to brushes was confusing to me back then.  When I eventually revisited it as an adult, all of that changed.  Not counting playtesting, I now play Quake much more than Doom, and draw most of my inspiration from it and its mapping community.

Skyrim changed twice for me.  When I first got it, I found it boring and repetitive.  Then for a little while I got really into it and seemed to finally be enjoying it.  When I tried to revisit it recently, I once again found it boring and repetitive.

World of Warcraft changed between expansion packs for me quite a bit.  I started with MoP and generally had a good time.  Then with WoD it became one of my most played games.  Legion hit and it became one of my most disliked games.  Since then it's just been a mix of good memories but no lasting charm.

3 hours ago, Hitboi said:

Blood doesn't have much of a modding scene, but its campaign, including the expansions, comprise among the best 2.5d gaming I've experienced.