Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
two30eight

Custom Patches

I have a question about implimenting custom patches into a wad. I made a very simple black background/white text 128x128 pixel bmp. I saved it as 256 colors, like Wintex says I should. Then I put it over a texture that's already in the wad.

So I put my custom texture on a wall and when I load the game the wall is all screwed up. It makes the game run all horribly slow and the wall is almost like the "hall of mirrors" but not quite. Anyone have any ideas?

The only time that happens is when you use a multi-patch texture (one made up of more than one patch) as a main texture on a 2 sided linedef. But it doesn't sound like you've done that, unless you went to the texture editor and simply added the new patch over the existing one (without removing the original first).

Which texture did you replace?

I couldn't understand those "terribly slow" problems until just recently. Then again... why would you put a sign on a 2-sided linedef?

Signs are actually fun to use. I went online one morning at school and downloaded a bunch of various signs, which I made into patches and then slapped them onto a wall patch to make a new texture. I've also made a few of my own cruddy signs. Just don't make too many, or they get annoying.

I have another problem. The signs work great in single player, but when I try loading a game multiplayer it exits out and says "63 errors encountered during texture generation".

I know it's the signs problem, because I edited the texture that the sign is in, and restored it to it's default texture and everything works fine.

Do you guys have an answer for this one? =)

Thanks again! You guys are a great help.

The great big problem here is all the other players need to have this texture too! That's your problem. Just send the texture to the other people your playing with and POOF, it will work!

netnomad312 said:

I couldn't understand those "terribly slow" problems until just recently. Then again... why would you put a sign on a 2-sided linedef?

So you can hang it down from a ceiling or stick it on the ground. It it's used as a main texture, it can either be embedded in the wall (like some of the signs in my wads) or hanging from the roof in a sort of fake 3D way. (by placing a 2-sided linedef close to a wall and offsetting appropriately)

Signs never get annoying for me, especially when you can create an infinite number of them from just one texture....

You're talking about banners, then, right? Things that hang from the ceiling? Or things that stand on the ground, like railings? Sure. But those are all single-patch textures. What I wanted to know is why two30eight wanted to make a multi-patch texture for something like that; the only reason you'd want a multi-patch texture is if you wanted to put a banner on a wall, for instance. But then you couldn't hang that one from the ceiling or whatever, without it looking incredibly weird (even without the bug; who wants a section of wall hanging from the ceiling?). The best bet would be two textures: one two-patch one for use on walls, another one with just the sign, to hang from the ceiling.

Heh... I was looking at your sig just now. I've played one of your wads already, Shadowcaster. IIRC, that's the one with the final battle suspended in the air (with no floor texture where you're fighting).