Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Ok but how many people know about this trick to register the secret compared to the Pain Elemental way?

6 hours ago, Alfonso said:

There is another way of triggering that normally inaccesible secret on Doom 2 map 15 without cheating or the Pain Elemental exploit.

You only need to quicksave and quickload on the edge of the teleporter and you will lower to the floor registering it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0JSCDBnXRo&feature=emb_title

Works with the original vanilla/Chocolate too. No such luck on Crispy :(

Why does no one address this? Is already common knowledge? Because saving is not allowed on speedruns?

Hard to believe nobody tried this for 25 years. 

You can't load a saved game while recording a demo, and why would anybody try to save and load right on the edge of a teleporter during a regular run?

3 hours ago, Alfonso said:

Ok but how many people know about this trick to register the secret compared to the Pain Elemental way?

It's known for other another similar issue in E4M7. While it's not explicitly documented, it's likely one of those situations where people know the theory but as it can't be put into practice when it matters, it's generally never brought up.

There's a lone black pixel in the top left of Doom 1's M_DOOM graphic

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Spoiler

image.png.6cd5577ffc0e1d2ae9f966e984438dad.png

On 10/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, Faceman2000 said:

Technically Map07 of Doom 2 can be by using a rocket jump.

you can also do a Zero press meaning you can flip the switch without even getting on the platform

One sprite from the Hell Knight's death animation mistakenly has 2 pixels of red blood, or a bit of the Baron that wasn't recolored.

ERR.PNG.37f77e9e80e1f35c9c54053967bffafc.PNG

The Temple Of Darkness - Plutonia map 25 - has no arch-viles. The only three other maps that have none in the wad are Well Of Souls, Caged and Baron's Lair. 

4 hours ago, spd7693 said:

The Temple Of Darkness - Plutonia map 25 - has no arch-viles. The only three other maps that have none in the wad are Well Of Souls, Caged and Baron's Lair. 

Interestingly most of those are among the hardest levels in Plutonia.

7 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Someone didn't play coop.

picking up a megasphere when you have 200 green armor, will not change your armor protection to blue. You will get 200/200 with green armor protection

On 10/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, Andromeda said:

E1M1 has exactly 666 sidedefs.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:02 PM, Megalyth said:

[image]

I wonder if this is indeed an intentional masterstroke, or mere coincidence. The side count was raised to 666 by the addition of the deathmatch doors in Ultimate Doom; the previous standard edition, shareware/registered v1.9, has 648.

Simply put, if the 666 count were intentional I believe there would be evidence. One has less control over side count than line or thing count, especially when editing in DWD format where sides are generated by the node builder. In particular, I believe one would find lines unnecessarily split, or joined (simplifying the architecture) to achieve the desired side count.

However it all looks completely natural; the changes made seem to be precisely those required to add the extra doors whilst leaving everything else exactly as it was before. Perhaps I have not looked closely enough; would be happy to be proven wrong here.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:25 AM, KineticBeverage said:

picking up a megasphere when you have 200 green armor, will not change your armor protection to blue. You will get 200/200 with green armor protection

Amazing. I was aware that having 200% green prevented picking up blue armour, but the effect on a megasphere never occurred to me. Still, the vast numbers of armour bonuses required to achieve 200% green armour are rarely found outside of the oldest Doom1 wads, where megaspheres are vanishingly rare. Which wad/map were you playing when you noticed?

On 10/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, spd7693 said:

What else does Baron's Lair not have any of? If you said Barons -- you'd be right! :)

On 9/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, Scypek2 said:

I was well aware of that, but didn't realize that the dark blob in the middle was originally smoke from the burning city!

Ultimate Doom's SKY4 source being the same as episode 3's ending cutscene graphics should be mentioned in the DoomWiki's entry for the sky textures.

6 hours ago, RjY said:

Amazing. I was aware that having 200% green prevented picking up blue armour, but the effect on a megasphere never occurred to me. Still, the vast numbers of armour bonuses required to achieve 200% green armour are rarely found outside of the oldest Doom1 wads, where megaspheres are vanishingly rare. Which wad/map were you playing when you noticed?

I was play testing Alpha-Major, a great map by a cool guy :^).

Alpha-Major thread: 

6 hours ago, RjY said:

Still, the vast numbers of armour bonuses required to achieve 200% green armour are rarely found outside of the oldest Doom1 wads, where megaspheres are vanishingly rare.

Yeah Megaspheres are super rare in Doom 1 :)

There's a track on a Geto Boys album that prominently features the DSPLDETH sound. Seems unremarkable... but this particular album was recorded in 1991, and in Texas no less! Maybe Bobby Prince sampled one/found the same sound library of those hardcore gangster rap albums everyone at iD was listening to? If anything, the sound can be sampled from this by people doing high-def sound packs because it's in pretty good quality.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, RjY said:

I wonder if this is indeed an intentional masterstroke, or mere coincidence. The side count was raised to 666 by the addition of the deathmatch doors in Ultimate Doom; the previous standard edition, shareware/registered v1.9, has 648.

Yeah, I doubt it was intentional. I don't think the tools they used even had something like the stats plug-in like the one in Doom Builder. I suppose they might have, but I can't imagine what purpose it would have served for the development of the game.

However, supposing they did, and Romero noticed how close the count was, he may have added just enough lines to raise it to 666. Highly unlikely, and we wouldn't know unless he confirmed it himself. 

I found out that apparently BFG used to shoot green and red projectiles.

It was replaced because it looked like christmas lights.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:53 PM, RjY said:
  • The Remorseless Eatin' Machine of E2M4. You walk in the room -- the floor drops -- you're surrounded by monsters -- you can't back out. You dive for cover through an odd-looking machine -- argh! The ceiling! Too late you realise what all those blood pools were telling you. But do you notice, in your haste, that the machine has two eyes and you just ran into its mouth? You can even "kill" it if you shoot at the right spot...

Well I never. If you shoot one of the panels on the left, inside the crusher, the floor rises up. I didn't realise that. It looks really odd though, especially if the crusher has already been activated. I wonder if it's a bug?

I'd forgotten how many crushing ceilings there were in E2M4. The others are very close to the Barons of Hell and I used to love luring them into the crushers. My and my friends used to play that level a lot back in the day because it's fairly large and non-linear. I remember that it was part of the attract mode demo rotation in one of the earlier versions of Doom.

Is the eating machine the only example of a piece of actual machinery in the original Doom levels? Obviously most of the E1 maps have computer banks and objects that are supposed to be electronics of some kind, and there are lots of crushing ceilings, but this is the only thing where the crushing ceiling looks like a deliberate human design and not just random nonsense. I like to think it was an industrial press that the demons have turned into a trap because they're mean.

The more I think about the crushing ceilings in Doom the less sense they make. They look too regular to be demon-made, but their placement makes no sense from a human point of view, unless the UAC loved playing pranks on the workforce. Containment Area makes a little bit of sense if you imagine that they're supposed to be blast doors.

6 hours ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

Well I never. If you shoot one of the panels on the left, inside the crusher, the floor rises up. I didn't realise that. It looks really odd though, especially if the crusher has already been activated. I wonder if it's a bug?

I think the reason it looks odd when the floor is rising is that the texture pegging flags on the panels are set such that it doesn't look odd when the ceiling is descending. It's one or the other; either lower is unpegged or it is not. (It could likely be fixed by separating the moving sector from the surrounding walls, but I believe id's in-house editor forced a grid spacing of 8 units, which might have seemed too big of a gap.)

I think the reason it looks especially odd if the floor rises after the ceiling has been activated is that in vanilla, if the crusher has already been activated, it is impossible to make the floor rise. Vanilla prohibits multiple actions on a sector, and I think the IWAD maps were designed under that assumption.* Boom-compatible engines (i.e. most source ports) relax the restriction to allow independent floor and ceiling motion.

It's definitely some kind of a bug, but reasonable people may disagree over how, or indeed, whether or not, it should be fixed :).

6 hours ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

I like to think it was an industrial press that the demons have turned into a trap because they're mean.

Yes I think that fits the backstory of E2. The moon base has been sucked into Hell and the human technology is being warped and subverted by its powers. Malevolent architecture is to be expected.

________
* See also Doom2 map15, where the route through the final blue-locked building crosses over itself. It begins with a sector that acts like both a lift and a door. In Boom if you go round then jump off the side at the top, you can reactivative the lift part while the door part is still open. This allows the latter to close too far, and break the map. I thought for years this was a level bug, until I realised that in vanilla the lift won't reactivate until the door has fully come to rest.

Idk if anyone's thought about this before, but episode 1 of the original doom contains more Cell ammunition than Rocket ammunition (despite not having the plasma gun or BFG anywhere at all).

Spoiler

thanks, ammo backpacks

Edited by SMG_Man

I was converting a multi-map .wad, that contained ACS BEHAVIOR lumps in some of the maps, to a .pk3.

I discovered that if I left a script BEHAVIOR lump inside one of the  .wads I moved to the /maps namespace of my PK3 hierarchy, this BEHAVIOR lump and the scripts inside the /acs namespace both executed.

That could get VERY confusing...

RMB options file support in Zennode is indeed as broken as this poor fellow suspected.

It parses the files, and all the code is there to apply the directed changes, but the link between these two components is missing; the parsed instructions are not passed on to the reject builder. It is quite the mystery as to how this could have happened, but evidently the feature is so little-used that no-one else noticed.

I am tempted to bump the thread so that the next unfortunate individual who searches the forums for "zennode rmb" does not remain in the dark. Do you think the mods would get mad?

59 minutes ago, RjY said:

RMB options file support in Zennode is indeed as broken as this poor fellow suspected.

It parses the files, and all the code is there to apply the directed changes, but the link between these two components is missing; the parsed instructions are not passed on to the reject builder. It is quite the mystery as to how this could have happened, but evidently the feature is so little-used that no-one else noticed.

I am tempted to bump the thread so that the next unfortunate individual who searches the forums for "zennode rmb" does not remain in the dark. Do you think the mods would get mad?

I'll see what I can do in ZokumBSP. I haven't looked much at the Reject section. I have fixed another bug in it though, and this bug is interesting.