Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mayomancer

Have you ever changed your opinion on a game?

When I first heard/read about Dusk (and even as I started it) I was very unsure of the visual style but as I played more of it I really enjoyed the style and gameplay.

5 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

When I first heard/read about Dusk (and even as I started it) I was very unsure of the visual style but as I played more of it I really enjoyed the style and gameplay.

I was the same way. I took a risk and hot damn was I pleasantly surprised. It is now one of my top 10 favorite games of all time!

A friend gave me a copy of WH40K: Space Marine a while ago. I recently installed it, HATED it at first, thinking "so I'm fighting 200 orks who can, if they wish, take cover, but I can't?"

Then I understood the combat system and am now having a great time with it. Plus it does the 40k universe in a very simplistic but hugely loving way, so, cool I guess;

Faster Than Light (FTL). Didn't understand the game or appreciate the learning curve. Died too many times and took too many regrettable risks. I didn't touch it for years but decided to give it another go. I started really getting into it no matter how many times I failed. Eventually got good at it and unlocked more ships and became hooked. It's a good game.

Syndicate Wars. The world, story, destructible cars and buildings, the countless missions and unique weapons. I loved it (I cheated when I originally played it as a child). Tried it again from GoG with not cheats... I couldn't even see where the enemies were shooting me from because a massive building was blocking my top down view. Nostalgia crushed.

I hated Assassins Creed II when it came out, loved it when i wound up taking the time to get a copy on PC. I may go through a similar arc with IV as well, with the current context.

Skyrim aged poorly, but I was in line for midnight release for that one. (Northern MN, so we were almost role-playing the enviroment IRL.)

Plutionia Experiment aged very well, and I now prefer most of it to TNT: Evilution, though the latter was my preferred on the original version.
I marathoned Quake back in highschool because my dad had the CD release. Now I can barely touch it. (Still play the second now and then, though.)

Arkham Asylum has gone through a weird come-and-go phase. I thought it was a mindless beat-em-up on release, avoided it, found out what it was, played it through on PS3, loved it, bought it on PC, found it really lackluster compared to the sequels, fell back to mediocre.

EDIT:

Forgot my biggest one.
hated Hexen II first time through, due to the compact levels and bullet sponge monsters (reminded me of Quake.)

Portal of Praevus redeemed it single-handedly, and now I regard its puzzles (of the whole game) of some of the best in the genre, clearly outclassing the first. (I still prefer the sprawling dark fantasy level design+more aggressive combat from the first though)

Skyrim. The first time I played it, I thought it was boring and everything was too grey. Then I picked it back up and sunk 300 hours into it. I made builds with backstories and stuff. It was great. Then I ran out of shit to do and it got boring because modern Bethesda games have limited replay value. They have a lot of replay value, but once it runs out, you can never have as much fun again.

Also Mayo where is your profile GIF from

Back 4 Blood, I thought I was only trying to be a Left 4 Dead knock-off but after I played it with some friends I came to the conclusion that... it's pretty good.

4 hours ago, Archfiend said:

Also Mayo where is your profile GIF from

It's yamada aoi from the Wagnaria!! anime playing the tambourine, but edited to be tenshi himawari from touhou. Not sure what the original source is, but just googling 'tenshi tambourine' shows it up.

ef7.gif

I hated Bloodborne after an hour of playing and regretted buying it. For some reason I pressed on and ended up loving it. Very highly rated. Would not recommend.

One game that I've kind of tried forcing myself to like is Duke 3D, every couple months I'll tell myself "no, that game is good, I must have just been wrong" and try and give it another go to see if I like it now, but after doing that probably 4 or 5 times I've come to accept the fact that I just don't like it. Guess I've got to start drinking craft beers like the rest of the hipsters.

5 hours ago, Sena said:

One game that I've kind of tried forcing myself to like is Duke 3D, every couple months I'll tell myself "no, that game is good, I must have just been wrong" and try and give it another go to see if I like it now, but after doing that probably 4 or 5 times I've come to accept the fact that I just don't like it. Guess I've got to start drinking craft beers like the rest of the hipsters.

No, I've definitely gone through the same thing. It's just not great.

DOOM because i kept coming soo close to throwing up.  Untill i found rugby travel sickness pills now i realized what I was missing.  ID softwares... thank you.  I beat ULTIMATE DOOM, DOOM II, FINAL DOOM, NRFTL, SIGIL and some other mods. The music in these mods people made sound better then the music nowadays.  It gives energy.  I have played DOOM in the 90s and it's important in gaming history.  First  game EVER to go online right??

Almost abandoned Tekken... because I usually just stick to games that i'm ok at and not suck, but then I realized tekken is a good game.  It has deep gameplay and i DID actually play it in the 1990s I believe.  Its a classic i cant miss!  Now I'm hooked... my favorite move in the game:  WD & EWGF ( f,N,d,df , f,N,d,d/f+2 )

I came back to king of fighters 2002 off/on but then i just dropped it altogether.  No way I am going to get better at that game.

Pokemon.  I know people still play it but i was done after i completed red version.  It was a fun game because it was something new at the time.  Catch things with circular things.  Actually I did play gold version and finished that too.  I'm not a pokemon fan though anymore.  I ended the craze in early 2000 i think.  It was soo much fun.

Tomany to list... but the last ones worth mentioning:

Wolfenstein 3d - Tomany motion sickness.  Stopped and never came back.  Been SOOO long.  But I have these pills.  Maybe one day but for now It's DOOM.

Duke Nukem 3d - Tried to get into it, but DOOM was just..... better :(

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Agony. That game where you end up in hell, trying to survive with cool ideas. Decided to buy it because I like edgy/dark games and they said it won't be censored. Started playing it and because I'm a completionist, the experience ended up being torture, full of annoying glitches, trophies that wouldn't drop even after doing what's necessary to get them (played on PS4). To this day I've never regretted buying a game this much.

1 hour ago, Alephany said:

Agony.

Yeah i remember liking the trailers but when the game actually came out and i saw the gameplay footage/reviews it was really disappointing. Cyberpunk 2077 was another game that made me glad for being a contrarian and not get into those hype bandwagons.

Witchaven: Played it endlessly as a kid, with cheatcodes. Recently played through with the GDX sourceport and was shocked to find it genuinely enjoyable, with some fun ideas in the level design you don't see until you're legitimately playing. Could be pretty decent with some small improvement mods.

Dragon Spirit (NES): As a kid, it was one of those things that I sunk many hours into simply because it was one of the few things I had available. I've been playing it again recently and recognize it as genuinely excellent.

Shinobi 3 (Genesis): I beat this scores of times growing up. I thought of it as being a pretty solid game, and took it for granted. Now I see it as an utter masterpiece.

Halo 1&2: I put so many hours into these in the 2000's, and I was a little surprised and disappointed in recent years when I tried to play them and they gave me virtually no joy. Same for Max Payne, which I must have beaten at least 10-15 times back in the day.

Classic beatemups: I did two full about-faces on these over the years. As a kid, I would play absolutely any beatemup to death, although for some time I considered the X-Men and Simpsons arcade games the pinnacle of gaming ecstasy. When I got older, I used emulators to play through heaps of them. After a couple years of that I became totally disenchanted and walked away from a genre that I considered utterly vapid. Recently, though, I've come around and find the core gameplay actually quite interesting. I prefer the simpler ones that are just about timing, distance and telegraphing. Golden Ax 2 is a favorite, and I played some co-op King of the Dragons online and had an absolute blast.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:59 AM, Sena said:

All of the Build engine games were like that for me. Recently I gave Blood another try. Once I stopped being such a wimp about using dynamite I found the game much more enjoyable and balanced.

I'm still playing on the easiest mode though, because come on, it's Blood ffs.

In literally every game I've played, my first impression was completely off.