Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

Out of anything released this year, @Velvetic's Atmospheric Extinction is the mapset that would make me the most disappointed if it didn't make it to the cacowards, by far. I don't think i've ever had my jaw drop this often while playing Doom before. Solid original soundtrack(s) too by the author too!!

On 10/8/2021 at 3:37 AM, Paf said:

oh my god why

On Topic: NaNoWADMo 2021

I find it hilarious! :-)

also more OT: I want to mention angry quilt 2 (its even better than the first one)

On 10/9/2021 at 7:24 AM, MattFright said:

...the mapset that would make me the most disappointed if it didn't make it to the cacowards, by far...

Speaking really generally here: this will be inevitable for many people and for many wads, for people capable of feeling that sort of disappointment about this. Doom's versatility as a medium also permits a lot of variation in taste and ways of engaging with the game, and there is obviously heaps of good stuff this year; combine that and not a lot is too obvious when one looks past their own preferences. 

A great option is to channel that energy into doing reviews of wads you loved, even if they are informal and quickly written. Those are great for the author, and for everyone who might want to read about Doom wads. I try to track down reviews because I like reading them, and outside of a few well-known places, there are surprisingly few sources of good ones. This is a great year to have people talking more about things they like.

1 minute ago, rd. said:

for people capable of feeling that sort of disappointment about this

Heh yeah, sorry about the way i phrased that... I guess it's just the way my brain decided to describe my enthusiasm for the project after i finished playing it. In the end what matters is how great this year has been for Doom for sure :D

And yeah that's true, i think i should be doing more of those (since i do also actually enjoy writing them). I might make my own thread or something down the line for reviews. Either way thank you for the suggestion!

If I didn't do it before, +whatever to Never.wad, one of the few wads this year that I think really pushed doom's boundaries as a form of expression. The soundtrack is killer, the atmosphere? Sinister, and bleak. Seriously, it'd be a shame if this wasn't at least mentioned for most promising newcomer.

I know Doomworld isn't technically the place that a lot of this stuff happens, but I'd appreciate any Mentionifications for Gameplay Mods.

Pretty sure I cant finish all megawads dropped this year, still a few on my list but unfortunately not much time to keep the pace.

These are the ones that enjoyed the most for various reasons. Memorable year, and probably still some gems to show up.

Single maps:
-Lullaby
-Viscous Realms
-Nameless

Megawads & Mapsets:

-I.H.N.I. (Episode 1)
-PUSS V: Clandestine Castle Crashing
-U.R.E. 2020
-Doom 2 in Spain Only

-Tarnsman Projectille Hell
-DBK01: Dungeon Synths
-Haste
-Arceon

-Atmospheric Extinction*

*edit

Edited by Soulless : added info

I have a few that I really think could have a chance for any sort of Cacoward (including runner-up)

Doom 2 In Spain Only (Various)
Earthless: Prelude (Jimmy)
Slith (Pistoolkip)
Perpetual Powers (Michal "Lorenzo" Kurowski)

Dropping mentionations for @Salmon and @Dunn (& Dunn) for Most Promising Newcomer(s). I've greatly enjoyed the few maps I've played by them both, and they both have their distinct strengths. Salmon's maps in particular, I feel, excel in the atmosphere department, while Dunn appears to have an affinity for experimenting with gameplay, as showcased by Interstice. Both are decently talented mappers on their own merits, and I have a feeling they're going to create something phenomenal down the line.

I haven't played many custom wads since I got here, but props to Clippy for the ingenuity to come up with his Cliptucky Fried Chicken Special megawad. As an 'old' doomer and a new mapper, I find it crazy difficult to build fun and challenging maps with limitations such as those contained in this wad.

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Dropping mentionations for @Salmon and @Dunn (& Dunn) for Most Promising Newcomer(s). I've greatly enjoyed the few maps I've played by them both, and they both have their distinct strengths. Salmon's maps in particular, I feel, excel in the atmosphere department, while Dunn appears to have an affinity for experimenting with gameplay, as showcased by Interstice. Both are decently talented mappers on their own merits, and I have a feeling they're going to create something phenomenal down the line.

Agree. Interstice is a great puzzle map.

Another +1 for Atmospheric Extinction. Such a lovely wad. Great pacing, pretty maps, good music, and great gameplay all around.

Agreed ^^

Also Alpha Major (Spiritual successor to dimensions map03) is a sick-looking gold map with super creative fights as well as revamping some ideas from dmn03. 

A Cacoward mention for @Vic for Doom 32X Resurrection:

Bringing a completely new rendering engine to the 32X with Dual SH2 support and a truck load of other improvements, along with a hugely improved framerate, and you can understand why this D32XR port is impressive when it comes to technical mastery. Vic and ChillyWilly bring out a port of Doom that even supports the custom 24 level mappack made for 32X and end up delivering a port that is among the top tier oldskool console versions of Doom. Who would have thought, all these years later.

Not sure if anyone's posted it in this thread before, but I think Zone 400 at least deserves a special mention. The consistently creative and stylish solutions Pcorf was able to pull off with only 400 linedefs per map in a megaWAD is ridiculously impressive. Not to mention it's so much damn fun!