Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Microsoft Windows 11 confirmed exclusive to 64-bit CPUs.

13 hours ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

also i think its funny that microsoft said that Windows 10 would be the last os with perpetual updates.. hahaha! and here comes 11

They never said that.

The exact quote is:

"Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10."

This was said in the Ignite conference of May 4-8, 2015. Do note the use of the term "right now", as well as the use of the present tense (which therefore refers to the present as of May 2015), and finally note that they said "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows". That means that when you put it in past tense to account for the six years since, you get "Windows 10 was the last version of Windows". For "Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows", they'd have to have said "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows", which they haven't said.

Ah yes, grammar. I know that common wisdom on the Internet is that grammar is just something invented by pedants to annoy other people, but actually, it's a useful tool to understand the actual meaning of what people say.

Ah, that must've been what gave people the idea to think Win10 was going to be perpetually updated and pass that misinformation onto schmucks like me who don't read up on tech-based news regarding this sort of stuff. Cheers for that, Gez. I swear, I must learn something new from you at least once a month!

Well, that was kinda like repeating Bill Gates' infamous 640KB statement out of context for like 3 decades.

5 minutes ago, El juancho said:

When do you guys recommend switching from windows 10 to windows 11?

When Microsoft inevitably makes Windows 12 to address all of the complaints about Windows 11.

Microsoft Faces Backlash After Failing to Deliver on Promise of 3D Emojis

Microsoft was showing off new "3D emojis" when they were marketing Win11. Apparently, Win11 does not feature 3D emojis, in fact, the truth is shocking! Keep reading to find out why!

Win11 only allows you to use the flat and lame emojis that your grandmother used on MySpace in 2005.

Now, Big Microsoft has manufactured a lie which they are paying people to spread on Twitter!! They would have you believe that Win11 was never meant to have 3D emojis. Instead, they claim that their marketing team was simply using the wrong graphics. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/brandonleblanc/status/1448806388847710212 

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

I know a few remember the time back in 2001 when Microsoft killed off compatibility with most Cyrix processors with the release of Windows XP & Office XP, which led to most of the processors to become obsolete for newer PCs.

https://www.hwsw.hu/hirek/10281/a-microsoft-office-xp-nem-mukodik-megfeleloen-a-regi-cyrix-processzorokon.html

Cyrix processors are now pretty much antiqued thanks to them not having any support for modern instruction sets.

1 hour ago, Blzut3 said:

That said, what they do still do is downgrade your drivers.  Yes Microsoft I most definitely wanted that 2018 GPU driver instead of the 2021 one.  (Especially confusing that Windows 11 ships with a 2018 AMD GPU driver.)  Which is extra annoying on my HTPC since it means that it loses my 120Hz "overclock" on my projector (it's a 3D capable projector so it has a 120Hz mode it's just not technically for 2D), and then it also resets the sound from 5.1 to 2.0.

I can't say I've ever had this problem before, and I suspect your issue is manufactures of the hardware you're using giving Microsoft antiquated drivers.

29 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I can't say I've ever had this problem before, and I suspect your issue is manufactures of the hardware you're using giving Microsoft antiquated drivers.

It's the Intel Cannon Lake NUC so Radeon 540 and fully supported by Windows 11.  But I noticed every time Windows 10 feature upgrades stuff like Intel NIC driver downgrade as well.  Of course most people probably won't notice since I can't imagine many people care about their NIC driver.  (I've also noticed the Intel GPU drivers downgrading on feature updates for Windows 10 as well.)

In case you're wondering I bought the NUC solely to have Cannon Lake in my collection, it's almost OK at being an HTPC.  Running Windows 11 on it as it's basically the only PC I have that meets Microsoft's requirements.

Since you guys are deviating from the thread over an annoying OS war...

Having Windows 11 on 64-bit CPUs is good and all but, I won't update to 11 yet because it has been a messy release. If only they took the time to polish some details, I'd update it right away. I simply don't trust messy updates, especially if it's an OS.

22 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

Sad thing is neither group really has a clue about Windows 11 beyond what they've read online - so it will all be TPM this and secure boot that.

It’s not what I read online, it’s what my wife’s Windows 10 says (whynotwindows11 AND the Windows 11 upgrade tool itself).

10 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Mmmm. Yes, so I guess 'young people are lazy leftist millenial scum'. Thanks for your insightful comment.

As someone who is a left-leaning millenial (1992 born), no, that's obviously not what I'm saying. What I meant by my comment is how you're clearly not in a position to appreciate how fucked your life would become if the products, services, convenience and employment of these larger companies were to be dismantled. Like it or not, it's a reality you have to play along with.

10 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Why don't you try reading the actual "essay"?

You've self-addressed the issue here. It's a damn essay, and it's posted by someone who's previous posts/opinions in this thread have helped me decide it's not worth using up a portion of my limited spare time reading it all. :P

---

Anyways, the ultimate point here is there's been more than enough political nonsense and linux shit in a thread regarding Windows.

My experience of Win11 so far has been short-lived, using it on a computer at work while visiting the office last week. I've not used it nearly long enough to form a real opinion but as it stood, out of the box, I see nothing to complain about - The UI seemed clean and functional, and thankfully isn't the kind of "clean" they put out in Windows 8. The things that feel different don't feel inherently better or worse, just different. I'm sure it could be changed, but the new taskbar positioning did throw me off; I doubt it'd take long to adjust if you use it regularly.

Nothing about the experience has me rushing to upgrade my home computer just yet, as with any new software these days I feel it's best to wait for any initial teething problems to be found and fixed before jumping on board myself.

I've been using Windows 11 for about 2 months now, it seems ok to me, a lot like 10, for the most part it is 10 with a few additional things to get use to.

I backed a bunch of stuff up, joined the Insider Program, and got the upgrade. I too had to enable TPM in the bios.

I really haven't had much problem with it so far since I was already pretty use to Windows 10. ~ though the first thing I did was move the task bar start meu etc. over to the left heh.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Windows 11 is now publicly available without having to join the Insider Program.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

As someone who is a left-leaning millenial (1992 born), no, that's obviously not what I'm saying. What I meant by my comment is how you're clearly not in a position to appreciate how fucked your life would become if the products, services, convenience and employment of these larger companies were to be dismantled. Like it or not, it's a reality you have to play along with.

That just makes them even more evil in my eyes... its like they have gotten us all hooked on poison or something.

I miss the simpler times... the 80s and 90s... when an Amiga were all one ever needed... Maybe also a 56k modem... We still had stuff like forums, IRC, FTP, filesharing and other stuff in those days.

I didnt have internet myself back then though, not until 1996.

Anyone who's updated to Windows 11 got any experience they could relate about backwards compatibility? I use some properly ancient weird audio tools now and then, plus Deathloop has made me want to give No-one Lives Forever its demi-decade spin. Nerd tragedy that game can't get the Night-Dive treatment.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:21 AM, The Doommer said:

I have core i7-7700HQ (yeah it's 7th gen ik) with TPM2 support and it still tells me it's not compatible

I bought this laptop 3 years ago come on

IIRC they're doing testing on these CPUs and compatibility may come at a later date, but right now the oldest ones officially supported on the Intel side is 8th-gen Core, I think.

I'm surprised they didn't rip out the ability to BIOS boot.  That unless I skipped over it somehow I don't believe that video demonstrates that it can actually get updates like the articles says it does?  I mean the only reason it wouldn't is if Microsoft is petty enough to blacklist updates on old CPUs for no reason, which they've definitely demonstrated in the past they're petty enough to do (see Windows 7 updates on newer CPUs).

21 hours ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

I AM NEVER SCREWING WITH LINUX AGAIN! OR ANY OTHER OS FOR THAT MATTER!!!

I NEARLY DESTROYED MY COMPUTER!

Unlimited power means unlimited responsibility.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Unlimited power means unlimited responsibility.

Too much Weirdness for me.

plus, Windows is the standard.. i cant go against the grain. (or else your creepy pfp will come after me and shove grains down my throat or something)

but seriously, ive used windows all my life, im not going to switch.

Since Windows 11 is out and I so far can't find out much information on one important thing....

Does 11 force mandatory updates like 10 did?

Also, out of curiosity.... does it still have MS Paint? lol.

From screenshots I find 11 to look visually unappealing like 10, but I *heard* that you can change how the start menu looks? That'd be nice. Because 8 was simply appalling to look at (and use), and 10 is.... ehhhh.... I don't have 10 but I've seen it in action on my grandma's computer and.... improved from 8 but.... not enough haha.  

2 hours ago, Kokoro Hane said:

Since Windows 11 is out and I so far can't find out much information on one important thing....

Does 11 force mandatory updates like 10 did?

Also, out of curiosity.... does it still have MS Paint? lol.

From screenshots I find 11 to look visually unappealing like 10, but I *heard* that you can change how the start menu looks? That'd be nice. Because 8 was simply appalling to look at (and use), and 10 is.... ehhhh.... I don't have 10 but I've seen it in action on my grandma's computer and.... improved from 8 but.... not enough haha.  

Stardock sold Start8 and Start10, I have no doubt they'll have Start11 pretty shortly if it's not already there.