Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rfomin

UMAPINFO Appreciation Thread

This is awesome! Does it work in Woof?

EDIT: Okay, seems like it does. I'll try to incorporate it into the wad files.

Just now, game said:

This is awesome! Does it work in Woof?

On 6/27/2021 at 2:01 PM, rfomin said:

is supported by DSDA-Doom, Woof, dev versions of PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom.

unknown.png

Memento Mori II and its two supersecret bonus missions set up via UMAPINFO

unknown.png

Fava Beans and its bonus wad combined into one menu (Thanks for the help debugging this one btw!)

I've been doing similar things, UMAPINFO packs are quite useful at sprucing up older releases. Sadly, Eternal Doom cant easily be divided into Eternal Doom 1 2 and 3, but I have made Cybersweeper and Credits part of the main file. I also have Hell Revealed and the earlier release of Hell Revealed Episode 1 merged together via UMAPINFO, with the first episode essentially branching off into two routes, before they both unite at Map 12.

I'm currently on a long break from Doom, as I have a literal flood of games ive been neglecting, so my work on this stuff is paused at the moment.

This is a very nice thing to add to my DSDA Doom, I appreciate the convenient download.

25 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Should couple this with the widescreen appreciation thread.

I originally posted in this thread, but people seem to be unhappy with combining all resources into single WADs. It would be great to maintain a huge collection of widescreen assets, MAPINFO and DEHACKED patches for classic WADs.

4 hours ago, rfomin said:

I originally posted in this thread, but people seem to be unhappy with combining all resources into single WADs. It would be great to maintain a huge collection of widescreen assets, MAPINFO and DEHACKED patches for classic WADs.

I've been meaning to do exactly this for quite a few months now, I have a large folder bulging with fix wads ready to go that add small quality of life upgrades to lots of old classics, I just dont have the time to test them extensively these days. Plus, I don't personally use Doomsday or Eternity, so I cant test anything for them yet.

Last time I was working on stuff, I couldn't figure out how the hell to set up a Map 7 special via UMAPINFO; its simple in DMAPINFO, MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO, convoluted as hell in EMAPINFO and....seems impossible in UMAPINFO, going by the current documentation. So that particular thing is on hold for a good long while.

29 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Last time I was working on stuff, I couldn't figure out how the hell to set up a Map 7 special via UMAPINFO; its simple in DMAPINFO, MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO, convoluted as hell in EMAPINFO and....seems impossible in UMAPINFO, going by the current documentation.

MAP07 is just two actions:

bossaction = Fatso, 23, 666
bossaction = Arachnotron, 30, 667

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

I just dont have the time to test them extensively these days. Plus, I don't personally use Doomsday or Eternity, so I cant test anything for them yet.

Maybe you can find others to test them, it would be interesting to see these quality of life stuff.

1 hour ago, Mr Masker said:

Maybe you can find others to test them, it would be interesting to see these quality of life stuff.

So far I have small xINFO patchs for, in varying stages of completion:

• Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade)
  • Jim Flynn's Titan series, Interdiction Zone and the Doom 1 versions of his Enigma episode (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade, I'm thinking of assembling the Doom 1 maps into a Doom 1 Enigma episode for personal use)
  • Sverre Kvernmo's Cabal series (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade)
  • Kick Attack (both versions), and a copy of both with the custom assets stripped (It looks and feels a lot better as a regular level, you could include it in Master Levels easily)
  • Fava Beans (Adds level names, integrates the bonus wad)
  • Final Gathering (Level names, ends game at Map 6)
  • Vrack (Level name, stops progression past map 1)
  • Trooper's Playground (Adds level names and stops progression into stock maps, the bonus map and DM maps are additional selectable 'episodes')
  • Master Levels, both in combined form (PSN release, Doom BFA assembled megawad) and original loose levels
  • Master Levels rejected maps
  • Hell Revealed Episode 1 (Adds level names, ends game at Map 12)
  • Hell Revealed Full Release (Adds level names, includes the above as an alternate path through the first 11 maps)
  • Hell Revealed 2 (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Memento Mori (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Memento Mori 2 (Includes widescreen graphics, level names, adds the two supersecret maps as an episode)
  • Alien Vendetta (Includes widescreen graphics, level names, re-adds Valley of Echoes, making it a 33 map megawad)
  • Hadephobia (Fixes music issue, adds ingame names to bonus maps and makes them selectable on the menu)
  • Requiem (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Icarus (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Plutonia 2 (Widescreen graphics and bonus map selectable)
  • Plutonia Revisted (Widescreen graphics)
  • Syringe (Widescreen graphics)
  • Perdition's Gate (Widescreen graphics)
  • 10 Sectors Part 2 (Adds impromptu level names based on the wad files, adds Map 31 and 32 to the main level progression)
  • Eternal Doom (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • (Ultimate) Doom the way id Did (Widescreen graphics)
  • Doom 2 the way id Did (Widescreen graphics, custom integration of midtwid2)
  • Doom the way id Did Lost episodes (Widescreen graphics)
  • Scythe (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • Scythe 2 (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • Doom 64 for Doom 2 (widescreen graphics, bonus map selectable)
  • Deathless (Widescreen art for the non-official version)
  • Sigil (Widescreen ratiocorrected art)

As you can see, I put a LOT on my plate.

In addition, these have no UMAPINFO related things, but I also made a pack for Hexen that restores the Maze level and assigns the unused music tracks so that every levle in the game has a unique midi, and a pack of widescreen graphics for the three Raven games that use the GZDoom art, for people that dont use GZDoom but have widescreen capable ports. I also made an alt for Heretic, that uses the original titlepic, as some prefer that.

yeah that does look like alot... well if you do plan on testing these and such I wish you luck. and if you don't that's ok too, I'm not exactly one to talk about mapinfos and stuff like that, feels too complicated for me currently.

33 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

• Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade)
  • Jim Flynn's Titan series, Interdiction Zone and the Doom 1 versions of his Enigma episode (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade, I'm thinking of assembling the Doom 1 maps into a Doom 1 Enigma episode for personal use)
  • Sverre Kvernmo's Cabal series (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade)
  • Kick Attack (both versions), and a copy of both with the custom assets stripped (It looks and feels a lot better as a regular level, you could include it in Master Levels easily)
  • Fava Beans (Adds level names, integrates the bonus wad)
  • Final Gathering (Level names, ends game at Map 6)
  • Vrack (Level name, stops progression past map 1)
  • Trooper's Playground (Adds level names and stops progression into stock maps, the bonus map and DM maps are additional selectable 'episodes')
  • Master Levels, both in combined form (PSN release, Doom BFA assembled megawad) and original loose levels
  • Master Levels rejected maps
  • Hell Revealed Episode 1 (Adds level names, ends game at Map 12)
  • Hell Revealed Full Release (Adds level names, includes the above as an alternate path through the first 11 maps)
  • Hell Revealed 2 (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Memento Mori (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Memento Mori 2 (Includes widescreen graphics, level names, adds the two supersecret maps as an episode)
  • Alien Vendetta (Includes widescreen graphics, level names, re-adds Valley of Echoes, making it a 33 map megawad)
  • Hadephobia (Fixes music issue, adds ingame names to bonus maps and makes them selectable on the menu)
  • Requiem (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Icarus (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Plutonia 2 (Widescreen graphics and bonus map selectable)
  • Plutonia Revisted (Widescreen graphics)
  • Syringe (Widescreen graphics)
  • Perdition's Gate (Widescreen graphics)
  • 10 Sectors Part 2 (Adds impromptu level names based on the wad files, adds Map 31 and 32 to the main level progression)
  • Eternal Doom (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • (Ultimate) Doom the way id Did (Widescreen graphics)
  • Doom 2 the way id Did (Widescreen graphics, custom integration of midtwid2)
  • Doom the way id Did Lost episodes (Widescreen graphics)
  • Scythe (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • Scythe 2 (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • Doom 64 for Doom 2 (widescreen graphics, bonus map selectable)
  • Deathless (Widescreen art for the non-official version)
  • Sigil (Widescreen ratiocorrected art)

That's a lot of stuff! when do you think about releasing them?

3 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Last time I was working on stuff, I couldn't figure out how the hell to set up a Map 7 special via UMAPINFO; its simple in DMAPINFO, MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO, convoluted as hell in EMAPINFO and....seems impossible in UMAPINFO, going by the current documentation. So that particular thing is on hold for a good long while.

This is a common complaint and I think a weakness in the documentation that should be addressed.

UMAPINFO BossAction definitions do not trigger until something executes a "A_BossDeath" call.

If you want to use UMAPINFO to trigger a BossAction, make sure A_BossDeath is called using BEX/DeHackEd.

There's also a bug (inherited from A_LineEffect) where crossable linedef types don't work.

I'll need to make text files for them to credit everyone involved on top of making sure they work in the intended ports; im targetting compatibility with the official Unity port, the GZDoom family, Doomsday, Eternity and Crispy. Theres a legacy MAPINFO too for older ports that use that. Its all simple stuff, but I wanted these old classics to feel like they got a bit of a modern quality of life touch, and WITHOUT editing the original wads at all. The creator of AV had a small discussion with me about that and approves of the way I do it, if I remember correctly, as its all external and loaded on top of the original file.

The Fava Beans upgrade has a UMAPINFO that @rfomin looked at and revised for me, got a lot of helpful pointers on that. @Scuba Steve @Terraformer9x and @Nash did the various graphics  (great work guys!), I just stuck them in a ready to go form. The biggest issue is of course, time, I easily spend a whole day typing out the information and checking stuff in the ports I use, and theses days im trying to finish a whole array of other games, and now Quake of all things got rereleased and im playing that too...only so many hours in the day, sigh.

The Map07 thing is for the Master Levels combined wad; there are two maps that use the special tags in that wad, and neither are on Map 7 in the combined version. One of them needs the tag functioning to be completable.

Yes, but it doesnt have the widescreen art Scuba made, as they couldnt legally use it in the port afterall. My wad for Sigil is just the art, since the UMAPINFO is already present. Sigil is the model I used for my packs actually! It supports every port's native xINFO and was a good guiding template.

Hey @rfomin Thanks for these! I really like how umapinfo can add/fix older vanilla or previously incompatible wads for my favorite engines. But you might want to update the one for dtwid-le.wad. It seems to be missing a bossaction on line #130 for e6m1. I copied "bossaction = BaronOfHell, 23, 666" from line #142 into line #130 and that seems to fix it. I've attached the updated file for you and anyone who wants it.

I've also made a umapinfo for 2002ad10.wad. It only enables the new episode 4 music to actually play during episode 4.

dtwid-le.wad-umap-fix.zip

2002ad10.wad-umapinfo.zip

Edited by HackNeyed

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Caps intended. But really, definitely thank you.

I don't branch out of Lzdoom minimum, but i'm getting the hankering to expand into dehacked terrritory just because it is fascinating. UMAPINFO will make that much easier, now that I know what the heck it does, and how it does it.

Hey @rfomin it's me again. I was checking out aaliens.wad and I think I found an erroneous line. Because of line #183 (endpic = "CREDIT") the player is not sent to the actual credits map (MAP30) and only shown the Credits image from the end of Episodes 1 and 2. Checking the behavior in Eternity and GZDoom seems to confirm the player should be sent to MAP30. I've uploaded a fixed version but all I did was delete line #183 making line #184 the new #183 etc. Cheers!

aaliens.wad.zip

I feel like a moron, but I can't get Scythe 2's level names and episode structure to work in PrBoom-Plus or in DSDA-Doom. Where in the autoload directory do I need to put this .wad file? C:\path\to\autoload\filename.wad?

20 minutes ago, Mr. Alexander said:

Where in the autoload directory do I need to put this .wad file? C:\path\to\autoload\filename.wad? 

C:\path\to\autoload\scythe2.wad\scythe2_um.wad

The bold part is a folder, not a file. Just extract with paths or drag and drop all the folders from mapinfo.zip into your autoload folder and it should work.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Alexander said:

I feel like a moron, but I can't get Scythe 2's level names and episode structure to work in PrBoom-Plus or in DSDA-Doom. Where in the autoload directory do I need to put this .wad file? C:\path\to\autoload\filename.wad?

C:\path\to\dsda-doom\autoload\scythe2.wad\ 

6 hours ago, HackNeyed said:

C:\path\to\autoload\scythe2.wad\scythe2_um.wad

The bold part is a folder, not a file. Just extract with paths or drag and drop all the folders from mapinfo.zip into your autoload folder and it should work.

lol, that explains it: The folder I had been copying back and forth between prboom-plus and dsda-doom was empty. I didn't recognize it as a folder because I was doing this on the command line and didn't pay attention. A reinstall got it working perfectly. Thanks to you both!

For some reason Evilternity Umapinfo act up with DSDADoom (checked only in dsdadoom), teleports to level 16, instead of 31 from secret exit on map 15, while showing proper after level text. Had to patch it up.

Should we make some github repo for that?

Edited by khades

Does anyone know where I can find a good DMAPINFO and UMAPINFO for the Master Levels? I'm trying to have it so all the levels use their intended sky texture.

3 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Does anyone know where I can find a good DMAPINFO and UMAPINFO for the Master Levels? I'm trying to have it so all the levels use their intended sky texture.

Official MASTERLEVELS.WAD doesn't have sky textures. You can copy and rename sky textures from individual PWADs. In general, UMAPINFO is not well suited for Master Levels.