Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic

Doom 32X Resurrection

At the higher framerate settings, I've noticed that while the enemy attack rate increases, the fire rate of the player stays the same (it may be tied to the animation or something?). This may explain the demo desync issue on the GitHub, though I'm not sure. A really odd issue I had was with the VGM track for e1m7 (Demons on the Prey). The main melody just seems to be stuck on the same note until it changes key (it's a bit hard to explain but you'll definitely hear it). This could just be a one-off thing or maybe it's just a symptom of a larger problem concerning VGM playback. Also e1m8 and e1m9 have the wrong music playing, but that's a minor issue.

18 hours ago, Vic said:

Ideally you should be using content.json from D32XR repository without any modifications whatsoever.

I changed doom32x-build from this:

# Insert VGM into content.json
  tail -n +9401 ../d32xr/content/content.json | head -n -7 > VGM.json
  head doomCombine/content.json -n -2 > content-head.json
  tail doomCombine/content.json -n -2 > content-tail.json
  cat content-head.json VGM.json content-tail.json > doomCombine/content.json

to this:

# Use the D32XR content.json
  cp ../d32xr/content/content.json doomCombine/content.json

And I'm given this error:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'doomCombine/files/demo1'

2 hours ago, Mittens0407 said:

Also e1m8 and e1m9 have the wrong music playing, but that's a minor issue.

Yeah, the tracks are a bit wrong because E1M8 music had to be omitted due to ROM space limitations.

2 hours ago, Mittens0407 said:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'doomCombine/files/demo1'

Copy demo1 and demo2 from the extracted jagdoom wad.

Although I can see you're going to have trouble further on with the ep3 maps as they are supposed to be copied over from the "DOOM 32X 24 Level Expansion" ROM hack :(

On 8/27/2021 at 9:25 AM, Mittens0407 said:

A really odd issue I had was with the VGM track for e1m7 (Demons on the Prey). The main melody just seems to be stuck on the same note until it changes key (it's a bit hard to explain but you'll definitely hear it). This could just be a one-off thing or maybe it's just a symptom of a larger problem concerning VGM playback.

This is now fixed.

I am getting an error from wadcode....

../wadcode/wadcode decompile --big-endian doom32x.wad doom32x

../wadcode/wadcode decompile --big-endian doomj64.wad doomj64

../wadcode/wadcode combine doom32x.wad doomj64.wad doomCombine.wad

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../wadcode/wadcode", line 52, in <module>
    mc.run(sys.argv[1:])
  File ".../wadcode/MultiCommand.py", line 115, in run
    parseresult.cmd.action(parseresult.cmd.name, parseresult.args)
  File ".../wadcode/CommandCombine.py", line 36, in __init__
    resource = WADFile._WADResource(name = "S_START", data = b"", size = 0, compressed = False, compressed_size = 0)
TypeError: __new__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'size'

3 hours ago, biggles said:

I am getting an error from wadcode....

../wadcode/wadcode decompile --big-endian doom32x.wad doom32x

../wadcode/wadcode decompile --big-endian doomj64.wad doomj64

../wadcode/wadcode combine doom32x.wad doomj64.wad doomCombine.wad

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../wadcode/wadcode", line 52, in <module>
    mc.run(sys.argv[1:])
  File ".../wadcode/MultiCommand.py", line 115, in run
    parseresult.cmd.action(parseresult.cmd.name, parseresult.args)
  File ".../wadcode/CommandCombine.py", line 36, in __init__
    resource = WADFile._WADResource(name = "S_START", data = b"", size = 0, compressed = False, compressed_size = 0)
TypeError: __new__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'size'

Should be fixed now.

This is still going? Pretty cool, although in terms of level accuracy, Delta will always beat this ;)

2 hours ago, Roebloz said:

This is still going? Pretty cool, although in terms of level accuracy, Delta will always beat this ;)

We can merge Delta levels at a later stage, once bank switching support lands and the dust has settled.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, Vic said:

We can merge Delta levels at a later stage, once bank switching support lands and the dust has settled.

Ah, pretty nice.

OK, I've updated the original post to include the download link of v1.0. Enjoy!

A wonderful review at romhacking.net:

Without spoilers, I have to give this team two thumbs up for the excellent work done to remake the engine, the GFX, the controls, the sounds and the soundtrack. Every aspect of this game has has been refined and really shows what could have been done with proper programing and hardware utilized to it’s maximum. The framerate in this version of the game is smooth as silk compared to the retail version. There are no control latency problems like there was in the retail version. The talent displayed by Spoony Bard(AKA TheSpooniestBard) with the effort put into the in-game bit-tunes are night & day better than the retail. It just takes the whole experience to that next level of excellence that we all would have loved BITD.

The wonderful experience this remake of the 32X version of Doom provides can not be understated. It is masterful and something to behold, not just because it’s a title for the 32X, but because it’s just that good!

Whether you play on emulator or real hardware, you’re going to have fun! Make some time, plug in, play and enjoy!

Hi! great job! I just found out !! But I must be very clumsy, I cannot find or understand where I can download and make the audio CD to use in the MegaCD to play. Can you explain it to me? Thanks!!

Looks like .xdelta patch from romhacking cannot be applied to NTSC version (JU), even though it says "multi-region" and in Delta Patcher 2.01, I uncheck "Checksum validation".

Honestly, if something like this existed in 1994, it would've defined itself among the best of the ports alongside the Playstation and Jaguar, and had a leg up on the Jaguar one at that with the music. This is seriously awesome stuff I'm seeing.

38 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Looks like .xdelta patch from romhacking cannot be applied to NTSC version (JU), even though it says "multi-region" and in Delta Patcher 2.01, I uncheck "Checksum validation".

You need the EU ROM for the patch:

image.png.5bae8ccd75f042dcbe9765f55e862fa8.png

The output ROM is multi-region, however.

Unfortunately, romhacking.net doesn't allow uploading multiple versions of the same patch for different regions. Each region has to be its own "hack".

I'll upload the US version once the dust has settled a bit.

51 minutes ago, RaikohZX said:

Honestly, if something like this existed in 1994, it would've defined itself among the best of the ports alongside the Playstation and Jaguar, and had a leg up on the Jaguar one at that with the music. This is seriously awesome stuff I'm seeing.

Are console ports eligible for Cacowards nomination? :D:D

Super thankful that I was able to help with this! Congrats on the release Vic!

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Are console ports eligible for Cacowards nomination? :D:D

I could be eligible for a Codeaward. We just need it to get nominations ;)

Congrats on the release, this is huge! I would love to make something for this engine.

Edited by Noiser

I never knew a project like this was in the works, I thought I lost hope until now. I just downloaded the patch and I'm amazed with the new engine you've implemented in the rom. do you think that the missing bosses like the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind could be implemented into the game?

Also I have a question regarding compiling since I never had compiled anything before. I'd wish to inject my own maps into the game and compile it. Since I need Chilly's Sega dev kit to compile, but I need to compile that too. I'm on Windows btw. idk if anyone already has a build for windows, But I'm literally scratching my head on what to do.

Edited by John Rambo 787

This is some stellar work, glad to see the 32X version finally reaching its real potential here.

You are in no way obligated to answer but for my own morbid curiosity, what would be the biggest lesson learned from this project that is non-technical to the SH2 implementation?

11 hours ago, John Rambo 787 said:

I never knew a project like this was in the works, I thought I lost hope until now. I just downloaded the patch and I'm amazed with the new engine you've implemented in the rom. do you think that the missing bosses like the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind could be implemented into the game?

Also I have a question regarding compiling since I never had compiled anything before. I'd wish to inject my own maps into the game and compile it. Since I need Chilly's Sega dev kit to compile, but I need to compile that too. I'm on Windows btw. idk if anyone already has a build for windows, But I'm literally scratching my head on what to do.

You should probably talk to Wavy or Roebloz - the are the go-to experts in getting WADs to work on the 32X.

As far as compilation is concerned, you'll probably better off cloning d32xr git repository, dropping your wad into the repository under name "doom32x.wad", committing your changes, pushing and using github actions to compile your custom ROM. You should be able to download ROM artifacts from there.

That's the best advice I can give you. Anything else would probably be too complicated for a novice and most likely - not worthwhile for everyone involved :)

1 hour ago, vyruss said:

This is some stellar work, glad to see the 32X version finally reaching its real potential here.

You are in no way obligated to answer but for my own morbid curiosity, what would be the biggest lesson learned from this project that is non-technical to the SH2 implementation?

Programming for the 32X requires a mindset, which is very close to embedded programming: every byte of RAM and every clock cycle matters.

Oh, and another one: always test your stuff on real hardware.

Edited by Vic

5 minutes ago, Vic said:

Programming for the 32X requires a mindset, which is very close to embedded programming: every byte of RAM and every clock cycle matters.

That's very exciting and a very worthwhile skill to have I think.  It changes the way you think about designing software as well as the constraints of the systems you might be working with.  I will have to finally get this release set up and running on my Model 2 Tower of Power if my schedule will let me.

29 minutes ago, vyruss said:

That's very exciting and a very worthwhile skill to have I think.  It changes the way you think about designing software as well as the constraints of the systems you might be working with.  I will have to finally get this release set up and running on my Model 2 Tower of Power if my schedule will let me.

And another one: stairs are the worst enemy of good performance in Doom.

Edited by Vic

5 hours ago, Vic said:

You should probably talk to Wavy or Roebloz - the are the go-to experts in getting WADs to work on the 32X.

As far as compilation is concerned, you'll probably better off cloning d32xr git repository, dropping your wad into the repository under name "doom32x.wad", committing your changes, pushing and using github actions to compile your custom ROM. You should be able to download ROM artifacts from there.

That's the best advice I can give you. Anything else would probably be too complicated for a novice and most likely - not worthwhile for everyone involved :)

I'll keep that in mind, Thanks you. Also, where do you report bugs? cuz I found a bug where you take double damage in the Hazard areas like the Lava and Toxic waste.

9 hours ago, John Rambo 787 said:

I'll keep that in mind, Thanks you. Also, where do you report bugs? cuz I found a bug where you take double damage in the Hazard areas like the Lava and Toxic waste.

https://github.com/viciious/d32xr/

On 10/18/2021 at 8:08 PM, RaikohZX said:

Not only that. This is able to run in bordered 252x144 resolution while the Jaguar does it in borderless 160x180 (you can also run this one like that), that's definitely an edge too because of the added sharpness. There's also the little addition of the spectres, which aren't present in the Jaguar version, and the also the apparently logic decision of reswitching the skyboxes of "Map 16: Tower of Babel" and "Map 17: Hell Keep" to go with the "Inferno" episode skybox instead of sticking with the Jaguar pattern which still used the "The Shores of Hell" episode skybox for those maps (this somewhat reminds to what the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions did).

About the only real advantage I can think the Jaguar version still has compared to this one is the fact that it has link multiplayer while this one doesn't (maybe one day it will?).

@Vic I think I already read this somewhere but I'm not sure where. Anyhow, the reason why the music tracks "Sign of Evil" and "Deep Into the Code" are not present is because of ROM storage space? I would have liked to listen how "Sign of Evil" would have fared in this version, especially compared to the original 32X rendition. Maybe that can be eventually solved?

Also, what are the conditions in which "Map 24: Military Base" can be accessed through the area select option? It appears to be locked at first, but if you play certain levels and then do a new game, then it seems to appear, but I'm not sure if that's a random fact or there's a precise requirement that triggers it.

In fact, there seems to be a certain bug with the area select option while you are already playing, as sometimes you can't even move from Area 1 that way. But I'm also not sure when that happens.

First of all, thanks a lot for the great effort in making this Doom enhancement for the 32X. I have tried the game on Everdrive and I was super impressed with it.

I was wondering about the CD feature. I would love to put the Saturn soundtrack for the game, but I was not able to find explanation about how the CD feature works. Are tracks tied to level depending on their position in the disc ? If that's the case, some information about this would be appreciated. Maybe I did not search well, but I could not find anything.

Thanks again for the great work.

Edit : okay, so I have been investigating a bit.

To me it seems that the game will map the tracks 1 to 7 to levels 1 to 7, then repeat from 1. I have tried with audio CDs I had.

For some reason, track 7 never plays though. So I get no sound in levels 7, 14 and 21.

Edited by cireza

An amazing effort on part with the Doom 64 Reverse Engineering project. or Optidoom. Either way. Having this utilize the so criminally underutilized 32X hardware well is a god send. Dual SH2 helps so much in this completely unique port.

@Vic Question: I know 32XDoom actually has quite a few things going for it, with misc hacks, even a crude DeHacked like editor. You have stated you wanted this to be a clean base of some sorts. Would that mean stuff like Chex Quest, but also other things (bar the memory limit) could be ported over

5 hours ago, Wesker said:

@Vic I think I already read this somewhere but I'm not sure where. Anyhow, the reason why the music tracks "Sign of Evil" and "Deep Into the Code" are not present is because of ROM storage space? I would have liked to listen how "Sign of Evil" would have fared in this version, especially compared to the original 32X rendition. Maybe that can be eventually solved?

Yeah, we had to drop a few tracks to fit the game into a 4MB ROM.

5 hours ago, Wesker said:

Also, what are the conditions in which "Map 24: Military Base" can be accessed through the area select option? It appears to be locked at first, but if you play certain levels and then do a new game, then it seems to appear, but I'm not sure if that's a random fact or there's a precise requirement that triggers it.

In fact, there seems to be a certain bug with the area select option while you are already playing, as sometimes you can't even move from Area 1 that way. But I'm also not sure when that happens.

I did notice similar issues with the level select menu. There's something fishy going on there, that's for certain. Gonna look into the it some time soon.

4 hours ago, cireza said:

To me it seems that the game will map the tracks 1 to 7 to levels 1 to 7, then repeat from 1. I have tried with audio CDs I had.

For some reason, track 7 never plays though. So I get no sound in levels 7, 14 and 21.

Can't confirm or deny this.. I don't have a SegaCD to test CD audio playback, but Chilly Willy has had no problems with it whatsoever. Hopefully he'll chime in with more information.

55 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Would that mean stuff like Chex Quest, but also other things (bar the memory limit) could be ported over

The short answer is - I don't know. Porting things to such a limited platform as the 32X, is very time consuming, and the end result is always a compromise. If a dedicated Chex Quest fan wants to give it a try - sure, why not :D