Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

I was testing Woof! 7.0.0 and I noticed that in widescreen mode, on the sides the image is cut by a few pixels. I'm playing in 16:9 FullHD 1080p

257847377_DesktopScreenshot2021_10.21-13_27_16_46.png.ebdbc0ddc2439dc98d0a2dd90260977a.png

537782924_DesktopScreenshot2021_10.21-13_39_31_14.png.719d1925385d1bc3d60415de54545b6a.png

58 minutes ago, fabian said:

I am trying to give an explanation to this here (please read to the end): https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/issues/521

I tried to understand the explanation of the link indicated ... I did not understand why with the 856x480 resolution scaled to 1920x1076, the cut pixels are on the sides and not above and below.

Anyway I thought it was a bug so thanks for the reply.

I remembered trying Crispy-doom and the cropping wasn't that noticeable, in fact here is a screenshot of Crispy-doom:

904498681_DesktopScreenshot2021_10.21-18_55_58_22.png.2f5103d775aadfb3e08d58c7d194dd5d.png

In fact here it is almost invisible (it will be 2 pixels per side)

15 minutes ago, fabian said:

Woof! uses the same formula as Crispy in "adjust to screen" mode. 

I don't doubt it, but the result is strangely different (you can see it from the pictures). However I don't want to insist, I just wanted to point this out.

Might be a silly question, but I seem unable to create different save folders like in Crispy. I tried to launch Woof! with both -savedir foldername and -save foldername but neither seems to actually do anything.

Is it just a case of it not being implemented yet? It's a minor issue, but it's a nice QoL for someone like me that has 10+ .wads in progress at the same time.

P.S: this source port replaced prboom+ for me, it feels really good, it has pretty much everything I could wish for, thank you Fabian, from this to Crispy and prboom+ it feels like your name is attached to everything about "modern" Doom. Here's hoping that you receive an Espi award soon.

Edited by rzh

12 minutes ago, rzh said:

Might be a silly question, but I seem unable to create different save folders like in Crispy. I tried to launch Woof! with both -savedir foldername and -save foldername but neither seems to actually do anything.

Is it just a case of it not being implemented yet? It's a minor issue, but it's a nice QoL for someone like me that has 10+ .wads in progress at the same time.

No, we don't have a -savedir parameter yet.

1 minute ago, fabian said:

Got it, thanks for the quick response!

57 minutes ago, fabian said:

What? I just tried and the command "-save" works perfectly to indicate a different directory (like in mbf)

// set save path to -save parm or current dir

basesavegame = M_StringDuplicate(D_DoomPrefDir());       //jff 3/27/98 default to current dir
  if ((i=M_CheckParm("-save")) && i<myargc-1) //jff 3/24/98 if -save present
    {
      if (!stat(myargv[i+1],&sbuf) && S_ISDIR(sbuf.st_mode)) // and is a dir
      {
        if (basesavegame) (free)(basesavegame);
        basesavegame = M_StringDuplicate(myargv[i+1]);
      }
      else
        puts("Error: -save path does not exist, using current dir");  // killough 8/8/98
    }

Edited by fran

9 minutes ago, fran said:

What? I just tried and the command "-save" works perfectly to indicate a different directory (like in mbf)

Oh my, sorry! I literally just checked for -savedir and didn't even realize we already inherited the -save parameter from MBF. :D

1 hour ago, fran said:

// set save path to -save parm or current dir

basesavegame = M_StringDuplicate(D_DoomPrefDir());       //jff 3/27/98 default to current dir
  if ((i=M_CheckParm("-save")) && i<myargc-1) //jff 3/24/98 if -save present
    {
      if (!stat(myargv[i+1],&sbuf) && S_ISDIR(sbuf.st_mode)) // and is a dir
      {
        if (basesavegame) (free)(basesavegame);
        basesavegame = M_StringDuplicate(myargv[i+1]);
      }
      else
        puts("Error: -save path does not exist, using current dir");  // killough 8/8/98
    }

So if I'm reading this correctly, in order to work I have to create a folder and put the entire path as a launch parameter?

22 minutes ago, rzh said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, in order to work I have to create a folder and put the entire path as a launch parameter?

That's right, from my testing it works like this:

woof -file scythe.wad -save .\scythe

Speaking of command-line, Batch files for Woof haven't ever worked for me at all ever since I first got the port. Shortcuts do work though, and all other ports seem to work fine. Any suggestions?

Let's say, "woof.bat" on the same folder as woof.exe, with the following contents:

woof(.exe) -file Valiant.wad

or

woof(.exe) -iwad doom2.wad -file Valiant.wad

As implied, the parentheses mean that I tried both with and without the ".exe" extension. The command-line shows up for a brief moment, and nothing happens.

It's weird, it works perfectly fine for me, this is what I wrote for Lunatic

woof.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Lunatic.wad -complevel 9

10 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

It's weird, it works perfectly fine for me, this is what I wrote for Lunatic

woof.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Lunatic.wad -complevel 9

'-complevel 9'? Does Woof know how to treat those numbers?

2 minutes ago, Alaux said:

'-complevel 9'?

Yes, it's a boom format map, so I use complevel 9. For valiant I think it's complevel 11

2 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Yes, it's a boom format map, so I use complevel 9. For valiant I think it's complevel 11

I was asking because as far as I know Woof only has 4 complevels, unlike PrBoom+ which has many more for specific versions and is the one to use said numbers, although now that I check Woof's readme it apparently can also work with numbers instead of names.

1 minute ago, Alaux said:

I was asking because as far as I know Woof only has 4 complevels, unlike PrBoom+ which has many more for specific versions and is the one to use said numbers, although now that I check Woof's readme it apparently can also work with numbers instead of names.

Here's the doomwiki page

Spoiler

imagen.png.5f1795eab2f2c152ae5cc850e9f167d4.png

4 minutes ago, Alaux said:

works as an alias for the differents complevels in woof

// [FG] support named complevels on the command line, e.g. "-complevel boom",

static int G_GetNamedComplevel (const char *arg)
{
  int i;

const struct {
    int level;
    const char *const name;
    int exe;
  } named_complevel[] = {
    {109, "vanilla", -1},
    {109, "doom2",   exe_doom_1_9},
    {109, "1.9",     exe_doom_1_9},
    {109, "2",       exe_doom_1_9},
    {109, "ultimate",exe_ultimate},
    {109, "3",       exe_ultimate},
    {109, "final",   exe_final},
    {109, "tnt",     exe_final},
    {109, "plutonia",exe_final},
    {109, "4",       exe_final},
    {202, "boom",    -1},
    {202, "9",       -1},
    {203, "mbf",     -1},
    {203, "11",      -1},
    {221, "mbf21",   -1},
    {221, "21",      -1},
  };

I thought there was another one that was more accurate to classic MBF than complevel 11 was, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was removed after Pooch became an option.

12 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I thought there was another one that was more accurate to classic MBF than complevel 11 was, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was removed after Pooch became an option.

There was no such complevel, we thought that users would not be interested in it. There are not enough demos/WADs to test complevel 11 properly, so perhaps Woof is still a little closer to MBF than PrBoom+. You can build Woof with the MBF_STRICT option.

Last night I was recording a demo where I actually play a level (not just testing) and I noticed straight away that Woof was not registering slow mouse movements. To be clear I am not talking about reduced turning resolution while recording. I am reporting ignored input while recording. I've checked on my system (Ubuntu MATE) and Chocolate, Crispy and DSDA all work properly while recording. They "snap" to the next view point after the mouse has moved far enough even though the mouse is moving slowly. Woof (and PrBoom+UM) don't update the view until the mouse is moving fast enough; no matter how far I've moved it. This makes small already difficult adjustments impossible while recording.

I'm not sure if I should just open a github issue asking for Crispy-Doom mouse code to be ported or I'm simply missing something. See, I had a far more drastic version of this happen in DSDA-Doom running in wine. I was running it in wine for the wad selection launcher. I fixed it in wine by lowering my mouse's onboard sensitivity and upping the sensitivity slider in the OS. But this has not helped Woof or PrBoom+UM.

Any ideas?

23 minutes ago, HackNeyed said:

I'm not sure if I should just open a github issue asking for Crispy-Doom mouse code to be ported or I'm simply missing something.

The Chocolate-Doom (and Crispy) mouse code was ported a long time ago. I cannot reproduce your problem on Windows. Maybe you changed cfg_mouse_acceleration and mouse_threshold in the config?

I guess we are talking about the angleturn accumulation code for which there is already a PR. 

5 hours ago, rfomin said:

The Chocolate-Doom (and Crispy) mouse code was ported a long time ago. I cannot reproduce your problem on Windows. Maybe you changed cfg_mouse_acceleration and mouse_threshold in the config?

No they are defaults (100 and 0). It's been years and a total switch to linux since I've done demos so I'll do more investigating. So far my system has this issue in Woof 3.0.0 and 1.0.0, ReBOOM from a few days ago as well as Eternity Engine from a few weeks ago. I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment. Clearly it is not just a Woof/PrBoom+UM issue. Thanks!

3 hours ago, fabian said:

I guess we are talking about the angleturn accumulation code for which there is already a PR. 

Hopefully that will fix it. I don't see the PR on git but I do see one for -shorttics, cool. Anyway I'll keep an eye on the commits as I often do and test when it's done. Thanks!

On 10/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, Alaux said:

Let's say, "woof.bat" on the same folder as woof.exe, with the following contents:

woof(.exe) -file Valiant.wad

or

woof(.exe) -iwad doom2.wad -file Valiant.wad

As implied, the parentheses mean that I tried both with and without the ".exe" extension. The command-line shows up for a brief moment, and nothing happens.

If you want to see what errors your .bat file throws up add "pause" at the end of it, this will prevent the CMD-line console from closing automatically.