Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MidnightMage

Angry Quilt 2 - for Ultimate Doom (Development Thread)

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

- Square 14 and 15 needs desperately of some ammo.

There's a reason why the berserk is in the square. The first (finished) version of the square was originally a Tyson map and

Thanks for reporting it, didn't playtest the whole wad too much into it. Might working on it tomorrow, or when I finished with my WIP city map.

12 hours ago, Noiser said:

@MidnightMage, here's a few things I noticed, it may be good to give it a look before a release:

- Square 14 and 15 needs desperately of some ammo. Depending of the route you took, you can lose everything and not be able to progress.

- The Spider Mastermind on Square 16 can get stuck if you press the switch that elevates the bridge. Maybe you could put the switch on the bottom of the lava pit (so you will need to kill the spider to raise the bridge). Another idea is changing the bridge with a lift on the side of the blue door area. 

- Square 16 can get flooded with barons from Square 15 if you open the wooden doors earlier (on Square 11). That's actually very cool imo, but it may not have enough ammo to deal with them. Not sure if this is really a problem to be honest (as you can just enter on Square 15 by the other side), but it may be good to give it a look.

- This is more personal than ever, so feel free to just ignore it - but I think the Cyberdemon on Square 12 can be a bit unfair sometimes. If you are coming from Square 11, he can rocket you in the face before you can even see him (some extra time to react should be enough to solve it, imo).

I actually found myself dealing with extreme ammo starvation by this point as well. Perhaps a couple cell packs, rocket boxes, bullet boxes could be added to one of the central areas. For some reason, I like the idea of adding this to square 8 as it's kind of the restocking area to get health and ammo between tough fights.

I actually have seen the spider mastermind in 16 get stuck several times as well. I like the idea of having to kill the mastermind to hit the switch.

As for square 12, I actually find this to be a particularly lethal use of the cyberdemon. I'd leave it, as it's not a required route but optional.

I can make these adjustments or let others do them if we'd like to retain the only modify your own square rule.

Thanks for pointing these issues out Noiser.

2 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

I actually found myself dealing with extreme ammo starvation by this point as well. Perhaps a couple cell packs, rocket boxes, bullet boxes could be added to one of the central areas. For some reason, I like the idea of adding this to square 8 as it's kind of the restocking area to get health and ammo between tough fights.

Having played this a few days ago, I can say the Baron Count in...15, I think? is high enough to require far, far more ammo than you might have the stock for if you're coming from Walter's square, as he throws quite a lot at you and there's nothing really to replace it with. The concentration is such, it seems like you're expected to use the BFG, but you'd have to be better at finding secrets to have a chance if you're not coming from Peccatum's square.

1 hour ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Having played this a few days ago, I can say the Baron Count in...15, I think? is high enough to require far, far more ammo than you might have the stock for if you're coming from Walter's square, as he throws quite a lot at you and there's nothing really to replace it with. The concentration is such, it seems like you're expected to use the BFG, but you'd have to be better at finding secrets to have a chance if you're not coming from Peccatum's square.

I agree that ammo should be added to one of the central squares.

I added lots of barons since I was told that the player had the BFG at this point in the map so the zombies I already had on there were not going to cut it.

I could add more ammo and more health to the castle/fort if you all think its needed.

4 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

Would it be enough if one of you guys just add ammo to square 8 or do I need to add ammo and/or health to square 15?

7 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

For some reason, I like the idea of adding this to square 8 as it's kind of the restocking area to get health and ammo between tough fights.

I think it would be safer if you put it on the squares that doesn't have ammo (or the far adjacent areas like Square 16). Square 8 already have tons of goodies, adding more will make all the areas next to it too easy - including my own. 

Edited by Noiser

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

I think it would be safer if you put it on the squares that doesn't have ammo (or the far adjacent areas like Square 16). Square 8 already have tons of goodies, adding more will make all the areas next to it too easy - including my own. 

so do you think I should add ammo and/or health to square 15?

and what specifically should I add?

maybe 4 backpacks and 4 medikits?

I could then also change the secret backpack to something more helpfull like an invulnerability sphere

So I can upload a new version where

I've added the following:

3 more backpacks

1 invulnerability sphere

3 more medikits

1 berserk

7 more health bonus

7 more armor bonus

in addition to the existing items...

1 bfg

1 stimpack

1 plasmagun

1 shotgun

1 rocket launcher

1 health bonus

1 armor bonus

1 blue mega armour

1 chainsaw

1 chaingun

1 shotgun shells pickup

1 box of ammo for pistol and chaingun

1 box of shotgun shells

1 backpack

1 medikit

should I post this version?

EDIT... here it is...

AngryQuilt2v34.wad

the BFG in my square still requires the player to find the secret which I think is fair since the BFG is available elsewhere on the map as well and now there is PLENTY of ammo up for grabs on my square (4 backpacks in the open)

also the plasmagun remains available in my square without needing to find secrets

---

just played the map and given the insane ammo shortage in the map overall it seems my edit was very nessecery.

Edited by CBM

I haven't seen the latest update from Peccatum Mihzamiz but I'd imagine a lot more ammo placed in this square would help with the difficult struggle of the final 2 squares. As I remember, CBM's square was pretty damn frantic and I too ran out of ammo with the Hell knights.

I'm open to suggestion on what squares would benefit the most from added ammo and implementing these changes. Feel free to post suggestions and I can adjust as needed.

Hey, I think there is a softlock on Square 9 after getting the blue key.

Around the pillar you have 4 linedefs that raise the floor on Sector 865, but only one S1 switch to lower it (linedef 4018), meaning you can raise the floor again (if you go back to that square) and the player will get stuck forever. I think changing it with a SR switch will fix this.

However there's more - I don't know how to open the pillars blocking the way on the next square. Maybe I did something wrong, but I just can't go out. Assuming the player didn't went to Square 5 yet, he may not be able to leave.

1 hour ago, MidnightMage said:

I haven't seen the latest update from Peccatum Mihzamiz but I'd imagine a lot more ammo placed in this square would help with the difficult struggle of the final 2 squares. 

More ammo on his square will also affect mine :-(
I can put some extra goodies at the end of my area if you want. Square 16 may also be a good candidate for that (it's the last room before the CBM square).

Edited by Noiser

should I reduce the amount of ammo, health and/or barons in my square? (square 15)

btw square 11 has several good sniping positions where you can take out the barons in my square... if you have the ammo to do it

I'm open to suggestions, we need to make this level the best that it can be.

Edited by CBM

28 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Hey, I think there is a softlock on Square 9 after getting the blue key.

Around the pillar you have 4 linedefs that raise the floor on Sector 865, but only one S1 switch to lower it (linedef 4018), meaning you can raise the floor again (if you go back to that square) and the player will get stuck forever. I think changing it with a SR switch will fix this.

However there's more - I don't know how to open the pillars blocking the way on the next square. Maybe I did something wrong, but I just can't go out. Assuming the player didn't went to Square 5 yet, he may not be able to leave.

More ammo on his square will also affect mine :-(
I can put some extra goodies at the end of my area if you want. Square 16 may also be a good candidate for that (it's the last room before the CBM square).

I agree. I think changing the S1 to an SR will remove this softlock. I was thinking the pillars that blocked your path could be tagged to lower to the lowest floor when approaching from the other side. This would make this passage accessible.

Perhaps adding some additional goodies in your area Noiser might not be a bad idea, I was thinking possibly up where the imps are behind the columns. 

19 minutes ago, CBM said:

should I reduce the amount of ammo, health and/or barons in my square? (square 15)

btw square 11 has several good sniping positions where you can take out the barons in my square... if you have the ammo to do it

I'm open to suggestions, we need to make this level the best that it can be.

I would honestly rather just reduce the number of barons in your square but leave the ammo as is. All adjacent squares to yours are pretty much ball busters and theres a couple spider masterminds and an army of barons to fight through still.

I do agree that perhaps the switch in Walters square should be moved down lower as well to prevent the mastermind from getting landlocked on the exit bridge.

Anyone else find any other bugs?

number of barons reduced from 21 to 12 (0 on easy, 8 on medium and all 12 on hard)

number of medikits reduced from 4 to 2

torches moved to new areas where they wont hinder movement

moved some barons around, towers are now manned by barons

moved some backpacks so all backpacks are now in one of the rooms

AngryQuilt2v36.rar

hey guys, how about I throw some suggestion? Sorry if I sound obnoxious

How about we added MAPINFO, EMAPINFO, UMAPINFO (or perhaps DMAPINFO too) that will end the player's game when the player exit the map? If you need an example, I have one (that's complete) in my computer

Also, I think adding some bars (S or W floor lower) to square 14 entrance from 15 may be a good idea, what do you think?

I've already added the MAPINFO, we could add an EMAPINFO, UMAPINFO, DMAPINFO to I suppose although I'm not particularly versed in those.

Anyone care to add this to the current build? I will remove the softlock between square 9 and square 5.

@Walter confetti would you mind if I move the switch for the bridge in your square behind the mastermind, just so it doesn't trap the mastermind on that narrow bridge when the bridge raises?

19 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

I agree. I think changing the S1 to an SR will remove this softlock.

Oops - yeah, feel free to change that.

AngryQuilt2v36b.zip

The changelog:

-Added UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, and an alternative MAPINFO called MAPINFO2* in the wad file

-Tweaked the text a little so it appears properly in 4:3 aspect ratio (and I added some spaces if you don't mind)

*it doesn't do anything because the name is MAPINFO2, it's just MAPINFO with the current MAPINFO code. See this page for context

and maybe some map changes idk

Edited by lokbustam257

Don't add any map changes yet! I'm still doing some adjustments.

Thanks for adding the UMAPINFO, EMAPINFO!

I'll repost my edit shortly.

No worries on tweaking things! It'll make for a better end product.

Ok, here's an update with some minor fixes and added lokbustam257's mapinfo, umapinfo etc. and credit edits.

Edited by MidnightMage : free up space

Excellent! Thanks!

Has anyone else noticed anything that they'd like to change?

@SynDoom did you still want to make a titlepic? I used mine but I know you'd mentioned making one way earlier on in this thread.

I don't think there are any bugs left now as far as I can tell.

Great! Can't wait to see what you make.

Hope you don't mind, I added stairs in the inescapable nukeage. Feel free to remove them or whatever when you edit your square.

Just so we aren't waiting on this until the end of time.

I'll give Bobby til Nov 6th to make any changes. Then after that we can do a last round bug test and I'll post it to idgames. 

1 hour ago, MidnightMage said:

Just so we aren't waiting on this until the end of time.

I'll give Bobby til Nov 6th to make any changes. Then after that we can do a last round bug test and I'll post it to idgames. 

You've already given him quite a bit of time, its been an entire week since he replied last here. It might be more time effective to do some bug testing in the meantime since we might not even get an update from him. Its not my community project though, just throwing in my 2 cents :>