Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Black Ops (smooth weapons dehacked mod!)

Hi @VGA, I gave the SMOOTHED mod another try and it seems that it is necessary to add some of the states that Doom Retro added in between the regular MBF states and the empty extra ones. Also, it seems that Doom Retro messed up the barrel states (S_BARx) by introducing a third one.

So, would it be possible for you to reorder the DEHACKED patch so that it uses only regular MBF states (up to and including S_MUSHROOM) or the EXTRASTATES, but nothing in between that Doom Retro added?

But this is the Black Ops thread :D

The EXTRASTATES that Brad added are from 1089 to 3999:

https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/blob/master/src/info.h

And looking at the dehacked patch of SMOOTHED, I made sure to modify only vanilla frames and also utilise frames *from 1100 upwards*, avoiding the 13 that Doom Retro added above 1075.

If you open the bex of SMOOTHED with notepad you will see that I modify some states up to 725 and then from 1100 upwards. I did it that way to avoid all the MBF states that Black Ops uses and the 13 frames that Doom Retro uses above 1075 (for blood splats etc)

(That's why the Black Ops and SMOOTHED mods are compatible with each other and can be used at the same time for smooth weapon animations and smooth monster animations!)

In other words, I want to help but I already am not using the Doom Retro specific states in any mod. Maybe the problem is that your port doesn't have those 13 states between MBF and EXTRASTATES, so the ordering is all wrong? So if you add some blanks to bring it to be the same as Doom Retro, it will be fine?

Edited by VGA

On ‎30‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 8:09 PM, VGA said:

But this is the Black Ops thread :D

[...]

In other words, I want to help but I already am not using the Doom Retro specific states in any mod. Maybe the problem is that your port doesn't have those 13 states between MBF and EXTRASTATES, so the ordering is all wrong? So if you add some blanks to bring it to be the same as Doom Retro, it will be fine?

Is there a separate thread for the SMOOTHED mod?

What I have learned yesterday is that the DEHACKED patch expects that the sprite called "SP00" must be Sprite #145. With that fixed I get a little further, but then get crashes because of missing frames for sprite 147 when I kill an imp.

I am a moron! I was missing a single fscking comma in the sprnames[] array, so two consecutive entries were concatenated. Fixing this and adding Doom Retro's additional BLD2 sprite in between seems to have finally fixed this. \o/

I remember there were issues with A_RandomJump() being applied to weapon states, how do I trigger this? And I remember the cast ending being broken by this. Anything else?

4 hours ago, fabian said:

Is there a separate thread for the SMOOTHED mod?

What I have learned yesterday is that the DEHACKED patch expects that the sprite called "SP00" must be Sprite #145. With that fixed I get a little further, but then get crashes because of missing frames for sprite 147 when I kill an imp.

It's that thread. Good that you are making progress Fabian. Maybe you can put some code in Doom Retro to dump the whole states table to a text file, then do the same in Crispy Doom, and see where the discrepancies are.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Slightly off topic but I'm working on a pure vanilla version of the smooth weapons mod.

https://soulsphere.org/random/vsmooth.zip

Nice! But don't you run out of unused frames? Also, when you say pure vanilla-compatible, do you mean the patch can be applied on doom2.exe with DOS Dehacked?

(I tried to load it with Chocolate Doom and doesn't work properly, is it because I have an old version of Choco)

2 hours ago, VGA said:

Nice! But don't you run out of unused frames?

Working with the limited frames is certainly a huge problem with vanilla dehacked (there are only five free frames in vanilla Doom's tables). I've devised an assortment of different strategies to reclaim additional frames in ways that should be subtle or undetectable.

My version of the mod isn't finished yet - I used a different version of the Perkristian sprites, but I should probably be using yours instead. Notably there's no BFG yet, and the plasma rifle has a weird hovering chainsaw sprite when you play it in *ZDoom ports. But I think it makes for a nice proof of concept that shows that a vanilla port is possible.

The mod is intended to serve as a demo for my Python Dehacked library, which I haven't yet released (I'm planning to release them both together). One of its most interesting features is its ability to automatically identify which entries in the frames table are unused, and use the reclaim strategies I mentioned above to acquire extra frames on demand (they can acquire about 200 frames, but the more desperate strategies will be more noticeable to the player).

2 hours ago, VGA said:

Also, when you say pure vanilla-compatible, do you mean the patch can be applied on doom2.exe with DOS Dehacked?

That's the idea, yes. I haven't (yet) tested it with proper vanilla Doom under DOS, but mainly just because it's a pain to set up and Chocolate Doom is an authentic enough test bed.

(I tried to load it with Chocolate Doom and doesn't work properly, is it because I have an old version of Choco)

It should work fine with Chocolate Doom: "chocolate-doom -merge vsmooth.wad -dehlump" should work as intended.

Ah, OK, I just loaded the wad because I'm used to other ports, I will try it tomorrow. By using a different version, do you mean the black gloves?

Also, how do you solve the vanilla deh problem of only being able to change a code pointer if the original state had a pointer? Painstakingly jumping around frames all over the place?

I don't choose frame numbers myself - the library does it all automatically, including choosing frames which can have action pointers for frames which need action pointers.

The actual frames are configured using a variant of the DECORATE syntax - it was actually fairly simple to convert the DECORATE version of the smooth weapons mod: mostly just cut and paste with a few fixups.

18 hours ago, VGA said:

By using a different version, do you mean the black gloves?

No, but I'm not sure the sprites I am using are the best ones - I think the weapon sprites people are using nowadays have had some improvements based on eg. fixups from the minor sprite fixing project, and I'm not sure I have those. The fist sprites in particular look weird. 

I don't know if it's the mod's of Crispy Doom's issue, so I will post it here as well as on GitHub.

Using Black Ops with Crispy Doom you can fire the plasma gun until -2 rounds, status bar displaying it with a red minus at the bottom, lol. Other weapons don't seem to have this bug. Also, here's a demo involving the plasmagun that desyncs because of it (launch the BATs without and with Black Ops to see the difference).

DOOM0000.png

!KILLHIM.zip

Fabian fixed it in Crispy Doom so it will be fixed in the next release of that port.

Also, I released a new version that fixes another problem in Crispy Doom. First post has the download link :D

EDIT: Nope, that was my fault, no need to get the new version if you don't have problems with the chaingun.

Edited by VGA

I'm a bit lost with all the derived "smooth" Doom mod around so i wonder, if i want only the black gloves + smooth animation this is the file i neeInsert other media d right?

Yes this is a mod that only changes the weapons to be smooth and with black gloves. You can also load my SMOOTHED mod to also have smooth enemies, explosions etc

Hey VGA. I saw that you posted a modified version of black ops for Dimension of the Boomed. I wanted to check it out with the beta2 of DOTB, using doomretro 2.6.9. Unfortunately, it gave me some glitches. First one was that when using the fist, it freezes the animation and can no longer switch weapons. Second was that while using the shotgun, a frame from the bfg firing popped up and stayed on the screen. 

This is because DOTB has several Dehacked changes and there are collisions with the states used by both. Back when I created that version the changes needed were fewer, now it would be more difficult because Urthar has made use of more Dehacked states and there are even more collisions.

Hey VGA, sorry if i sound nitpicking and annoying, but are you change some of the weapons' behavior? I notice this because mostly in vanilla doom 2, mancubus and arachnotron dies in 3 SSG shots (if they get shot in close range), and also plasma gun fire 3 shot when start firing it and stop firing, (sorry bad english). So yeah..

The plasma firing a minimum of 3 shots is by design, so that the animation is complete. But the damage should be the same, can you test the SSG again? It should be the same.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, VGA said:

can you test the SSG again? It should be the same.

oh yeah, the damage is same as vanilla. Maybe it has to do with the RNG

12 hours ago, MechanicalSanity said:

Is there a none black version that is still compatible with your smooth enemies mod?

What about that zip that @fraggle posted earlier on this page?

hey, it's been a while since this mod has been active, but I wanted to know if there's a way you can make a version of the brown gloves 👍

Oke so 👍

On 2/11/2022 at 2:59 AM, Delfino Furioso said:
On 2/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, Guganha said:

this is cool man but i wanted one that was fully compatible with the WeaponsMatchingPlayerSkin mod
And only Black Ops seems to be compatible, but I don't like these gloves very much, they take away all the vanilla feel during gameplay

On 10/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, liPillON said:

since this thread has been bumped: did anyone tried adding fast weapon switching to BlackOps? 

BlackOps is achieved by Dehacked. Basically if you are editing with Dehacked then you have to replace existing frames with other frames to get your desired results. It can achieve some cool effects, but it is bound by equivalent exchange protocols unlike the ZDoom or MBF family of engines. BlackOps uses the mostly defunct Frames and puts them to good use to achieve the extra frames it needs to mimic Smooth Doom Weapons, Basically, Its at its limit for what it can achieve with weapon effects as is, roughly speaking. 

DEhacked style mods can also interfere with other mods and maps that also use Dehacked. Specifically this happens when the 2 different dehacked files clash because both files are trying to access the same frames used in both mods. Example being is that BlackOps is incompatible with Ultimate Doom 2 due to this very problem because the megawad and Blackops both access the SS Nazi frames to make each other work for their respective hacks. 

Edited by kalensar : update

yeah I know how dehacked works and what problems might arise by stacking dehacked patches on top of others

What I meant was "tried editing BlackOps to add fast weapon switching"