Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Has Blood Fresh Supply Been Fixed?/What Source Port For Blood Is Available?

...I never had any issues with Blood: Fresh Supply. Can you explain the story or what your problem was?

1 hour ago, HavoX said:

...I never had any issues with Blood: Fresh Supply. Can you explain the story or what your problem was?

Apparently it was pretty bad when it launched. I got it after quite a few updates and have no issues with it.

Blood Fresh Supply got a fair amount of patches fixing its biggest mistakes but it's sadly still not perfect. And it will never be since Atari will not let Nightdive patch it further. But for the casual player, Fresh Supply will do all right nowadays.

NBlood, BuildGDX and Raze are the source-ports out there.

If you want something more in line with EDuke32, go with NBlood.
If you want something more vanilla-ish, go with BuildGDX.
If you want something more in line with GZDoom, go with Raze.

So far, the only one that never give me any kind of problem to play mods with it is BuildGDX.
It doesn't support some of the gameplay mods for made for other source-ports, but well, thats why it is more vanilla-ish.

That was the basis, yes.

However from that basis it is diverging into its own thing. Currently the effort is on refactoring Blood (done) and Exhumed (ongoing) to use an actor-based system (like Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage... or Doom) instead of a big ol' mess of tables upon tables for each property.

10 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Blood Fresh Supply got a fair amount of patches fixing its biggest mistakes but it's sadly still not perfect. And it will never be since Atari will not let Nightdive patch it further. But for the casual player, Fresh Supply will do all right nowadays.

It's not that they won't let us, but at the time when they asked for the game title to be in their control, there was no feature on Steam that allowed for 3rd party depot control. That's now a feature, but there hasn't been any good window of time to organise getting that access and patching the game, which is now on our last generation codebase as well which makes things more complicated.

15 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It's not that they won't let us, but at the time when they asked for the game title to be in their control, there was no feature on Steam that allowed for 3rd party depot control. That's now a feature, but there hasn't been any good window of time to organise getting that access and patching the game, which is now on our last generation codebase as well which makes things more complicated.

Just fix what's left and there, all set. Atari can go screw itself. It's not their game. Imagine if a game had a game breaking bug that needs to be fixed asap and some company tries to stop you. Would you allow that? I certainly wouldn't. I'd go ahead and fix the game. Quality control comes first, and is a important aspect.

24 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Just fix what's left and there, all set. Atari can go screw itself. It's not their game. Imagine if a game had a game breaking bug that needs to be fixed asap and some company tries to stop you. Would you allow that? I certainly wouldn't. I'd go ahead and fix the game. Quality control comes first, and is a important aspect.

This is a completely rude and uncalled for response. Edward plainly explained why it hasn't happened. Development is a complicated process and a lot of the time things just aren't as simple as "just fixing it" due to either technical, timing, or publisher reasons. 

AFAIK, Fresh Supply contains everything One Unit Whole contained, including the original vanilla executable. It's just that there's also the modern Kex engine-based port bundled with it, but you don't have to use it if you'd rather use the original EXE in DOSBox instead. So there's no downside to getting Fresh Supply instead of hunting down a copy of OUW.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

If im being honest with you, what gamebreaking bugs have FS Edition?

I played front to back to get all the chivements and some mods compatible and it's played well, so, what's its buggin you?

28 minutes ago, Gez said:

AFAIK, Fresh Supply contains everything One Unit Whole contained, including the original vanilla executable. It's just that there's also the modern Kex engine-based port bundled with it, but you don't have to use it if you'd rather use the original EXE in DOSBox instead. So there's no downside to getting Fresh Supply instead of hunting down a copy of OUW.

So I can still run the game with Raze anyway? Sweet!

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

This is a completely rude and uncalled for response. Edward plainly explained why it hasn't happened. Development is a complicated process and a lot of the time things just aren't as simple as "just fixing it" due to either technical, timing, or publisher reasons. 

My apologies. I swear that I didn't intend for my post to be rude. As for D4's post, I was saying that in general. It's not for FS.

Edited by The Strife Commando

Just now, The Strife Commando said:

I didn't intend for my post to be rude.

You completely ignored everything he said including pointing out Atari were technically not stopping them on purpose like you seem to think and demanded that the team just fix it in spite of the fact that he explained that that was essentially impossible until relatively recently. A development team can't just stop active development projects with deadlines to suddenly return to patch something from two and a half years ago. Things need to planned and organized. This is basic common sense. Being demanding is rude and accomplishes nothing.

1 hour ago, D4NUK1 said:

If im being honest with you, what gamebreaking bugs have FS Edition?

I played front to back to get all the chivements and some mods compatible and it's played well, so, what's its buggin you?

The original release of the game did have some gamebreaking bugs, one that was particularly notorious was the inability to jump out of certain water pits, which resulted in awkward usage of noclip to escape from. Nowadays, there's just a few bugs here and there that just mean the game doesn't play exactly how it used to on DOS, like the physics and some damage values here and there don't quite match. Again, it's not a huge dealbreaker unless you are really, really into Blood.

2 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

The original release of the game did have some gamebreaking bugs, one that was particularly notorious was the inability to jump out of certain water pits, which resulted in awkward usage of noclip to escape from. Nowadays, there's just a few bugs here and there that just mean the game doesn't play exactly how it used to on DOS, like the physics and some damage values here and there don't quite match. Again, it's not a huge dealbreaker unless you are really, really into Blood.

That fits with my experience. I played it to completion after release and it was fine. I know some purists say some things aren't quite right. I only played it once years ago so can neither confirm nor deny. But i definitely experienced nothing game breaking and some minor visual glitches here and there.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

You completely ignored everything he said including pointing out Atari were technically not stopping them on purpose like you seem to think and demanded that the team just fix it in spite of the fact that he explained that that was essentially impossible until relatively recently. A development team can't just stop active development projects with deadlines to suddenly return to patch something from two and a half years ago. Things need to planned and organized. This is basic common sense. Being demanding is rude and accomplishes nothing.

I was encouraging that they can do what they want. I didn't know that they could have made a patch if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

I was encouraging that they can do what they want. I didn't know that they could have made a patch if they wanted to.

It is not that simple. He told you this and you ignored it and told him to just go ahead and do it.

You also have failed to answer the question, what problems are you having exactly? As I said, I played it to completion not longer after release and it was fine. I know there's a few minor issues raised by purists, but it's otherwise perfectly playable.