Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnusualBug

Which Doom Map Software is best for 2021?

Question

Hey, I'm just a guy who loves playing with mods with GZDoom, that I decided to make my own Doom map and sprites! But, I don't know where to find or to start that uses  Doom mapping software. Which one is easier and customizable for just an average joe who want's to get into the modding scene? What is the current Doom Mapping Software that everyone uses?

Edited by Gothic Croc

13 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Gothic Croc said:

This is the CURRENT doom builder that the staff is focusing on, right?

Yes. Either download the latest version from here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ultimatedoombuilder

Or if you use the installer (make sure to not install into c:\Program Files) you should use the updater (Help -> Check for updates) to make sure that you have the latest version (which at the time of this post is R3844).

Pinky was used as splashscreen for DoomBuilder2. That is loong history. After it was the gzdoombuilder followed by gzdoombuilder-bugfix and ultimate doom builder. And when we have the UDB, there is completely no reason to use the older ones.

And to understand the guides and UDB better: Check out YouTube. ChubzDoomer has a great series of tutorials that will get you on your way quickly, DavidXNewton also has made some very helpful videos and if you search for specific stuff you'll find more. Enjoy your mapping experience!

8 hours ago, ramon.dexter said:

Ultimate Doom Builder.

huh, if I remember correctly, wasn't there a big pink angry demon as the banner for the start up of the software? Did it got a big update?

4 hours ago, ramon.dexter said:

Pinky was used as splashscreen for DoomBuilder2. That is loong history. After it was the gzdoombuilder followed by gzdoombuilder-bugfix and ultimate doom builder. And when we have the UDB, there is completely no reason to use the older ones.

SO WAIT. I'VE BEEN USING OUTDATED SOURCE BUILDERS THIS WHOLE TIME?! That explains why the update dates ended at 2017. Oh man, I'm so left behind.

So I just go get UDB (Ultimate Doom Builder) from here? Right? https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=66745

This is the CURRENT doom builder that the staff is focusing on, right?

3 hours ago, boris said:

Yes. Either download the latest version from here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ultimatedoombuilder

Or if you use the installer (make sure to not install into c:\Program Files) you should use the updater (Help -> Check for updates) to make sure that you have the latest version (which at the time of this post is R3844).

Thanks! I got that. I'll be sure to look up guides!

23 hours ago, A Handsome Fridge said:

And to understand the guides and UDB better: Check out YouTube. ChubzDoomer has a great series of tutorials that will get you on your way quickly, DavidXNewton also has made some very helpful videos and if you search for specific stuff you'll find more. Enjoy your mapping experience!

thanks! For everything! I think I got what I needed!

Hmm... This one uses Doom Builder. Isn't Doom Builder and UDB the same? What are the differences?

Edited by Gothic Croc

On 11/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, boris said:

Any specific reason for that directory remark?

59 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Any specific reason for that directory remark?

Because regular users don't have write permissions to this directory. That means that to use the updater you have to run it with an admin account. It's just less convenient.

19 hours ago, Gothic Croc said:

Hmm... This one uses Doom Builder. Isn't Doom Builder and UDB the same? What are the differences?

Well that depends. A lot of people say "Doom Builder" for short when in fact they mean something else. Especially nowadays.

The original "Doom Builder" dates back to an era when Windows XP was the most recent version of Windows. In fact if you go to the actual Doom Builder site: http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads, you'll see this:

• Windows 98, 2000 or XP. (Windows Vista is not supported)
• Your operating system must be up to date.

Your OS must be up to date, but Vista is too modern! :p

Then there was Doom Builder 2, which was a complete rewrite from scratch. As you can see from the activity on the Doom Builder site, its development stopped back in 2012.

From there, there have been a few forks as other people took Doom Builder 2 and decided to update it themselves. To make a long story short, Ultimate Doom Builder is the only one of these forks that is still actively developed.