Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

Wormwood ]|[ - The Horror (boom comp Halloween maps by Ribbiks and Me)

I was wondering if there was going to be one this year! I gave the first map a quick playthrough and it was... interesting. Expected nothing less, of course.

I'm so glad the Wormwood sets are continuing. They're some of my favorite releases. :)

Just finished it, fun stuff, I think Map02 was my favorite, but that final fight in Map03 is a definite standout. The arachnotrons in this wad are brutal.

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

Just finished it, fun stuff, I think Map02 was my favorite, but that final fight in Map03 is a definite standout. The arachnotrons in this wad are brutal.

"firespiders are fucking lethal" - me while playtesting, several times

Played it on HNTR in PrBoom+.

The beginning section did not have enough space to properly maneuver around the instant kill floor, I often got hurt while trying to go around it just because there wasn't a lot of leeway to turn, especially since there are lots of revenants after you. Plus, the section did not give any places to dodge behind, considering revenant shots are sometimes heat-seeking and follow you, making it very difficult to dodge.

For the most part, I could not get past the platforming section in MAP01. I've tried SR40s and SR50s, but they only worked half of the time. That gap between the 2 platforms was just too big to cross for the most part, and when I did cross it, I felt like I was doing something I wasn't supposed to do, and felt more like a fluke.

There were too many enemies in 2 small spots, and the whole area did not have enough space to maneuver around both them and the near-insta-kill projectiles, considering you don't have time to wait for their pattern to end since you have so many Knights and imps going after you. It's very easy to get trapped in a corner with enemies surrounding you. Also, I do not know what conditions must be met for the rocket launcher platform to lower down, as it would have been helpful against the hordes of imps. Looking at the map in an editor, it seems to be some sort of timer, but the duration before the rocket launcher lowers, I have no clue.

Edited by Nikku4211

3 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Also, I do not know what conditions must be met for the rocket launcher platform to lower down, as it would have been helpful against the hordes of imps. Looking at the map in an editor, it seems to be some sort of timer, but the duration before the rocket launcher lowers, I have no clue.

Yeah, the rocket launcher is time-based iirc. It just comes down after a bit to give you the means to clear up the HKs faster I think.

You can do it! Never give up!

Really awesome maps, but it seems like it's impossible to get max kills on map02 as the spinning blender teleport closets that are supposed to feed the green key fight will break when the monsters suddenly stop scrolling (the floors still scroll, but the monsters won't move on them any more unless you noclip into the closet and wake them up). I had a look in the editor and couldn't see anything that would break the scrollers, so maybe there's some kind of Boom cap on the number of things that can be scrolling at once or something.

1 hour ago, BoxY said:

Really awesome maps, but it seems like it's impossible to get max kills on map02 as the spinning blender teleport closets that are supposed to feed the green key fight will break when the monsters suddenly stop scrolling (the floors still scroll, but the monsters won't move on them any more unless you noclip into the closet and wake them up). I had a look in the editor and couldn't see anything that would break the scrollers, so maybe there's some kind of Boom cap on the number of things that can be scrolling at once or something.

Yeah, those teleporters suck. There's some weird effect where monsters on a scrolling floor freeze when they hit another monster, and then any other monster that hits them also freezes. They don't break all the time, but it's pretty annoying.

However! When you start the final fight, those teleporters should turn into crushers and get rid of anything that's stuck in there, so I'm reasonably confident max isn't impossible.

3 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

However! When you start the final fight, those teleporters should turn into crushers and get rid of anything that's stuck in there, so I'm reasonably confident max isn't impossible.

I had a quick look into this and figured out that I was able to exit without all kills because Boom generalised crusher actions are straight up broken in complevel 9. They were fixed in Eternity, ZDoom, and in the prboom+/dsda-doom default compat, but cl9 is too old to have the fix. So weirdly enough you can max the map in anything except actual Boom right now. :p

41 minutes ago, BoxY said:

I had a quick look into this and figured out that I was able to exit without all kills because Boom generalised crusher actions are straight up broken in complevel 9. They were fixed in Eternity, ZDoom, and in the prboom+/dsda-doom default compat, but cl9 is too old to have the fix. So weirdly enough you can max the map in anything except actual Boom right now. :p

oh, fuck.

These are such a lovely set. Thanks to you and Ribbiks both for continuing such a fun tradition, I'll be submitting demos to DSDA for sure. :)
Here's a silly pacifist of MAP02: ww302p143.zip

Wad has been updated to fix the teleporting monsters in map02. Link is the same. Sorry for inconvenience (and to desync your demo Maribo :/ )

Initially I just changed the crusher actions to be non-generalized, but ribbiks pointed out this causes a NEW issue where monsters that are stuck in the teleporter whirlpools can get unstuck warp into the fight while they're being crushed, which is not very good, since you can no longer get to that area. Ribbiks has very kindly rebuilt my janky last-minute teleporter system, and everything now works.

I played the remaining maps a bit later than I said I would, but here's a demo for map02, which is also really fun. There's some cool stuff not seen in the video/demo because it isn't necessary for max, like the haunted house you can never leave. I won't be recording map03 because it is hard.

ww302-644.zip

5 hours ago, Firedust said:

Is Ribbiks doing okay? It's been over a year since he last logged on :(

Yea afaik, he's been fairly active with putting out banger original midis on his youtube channel. Also, I can't wait to play this set tomorrow

Played this last night, a bit too late for Halloween on my end but I still quite enjoyed this.  Map03 in particular took some time to figure out and seems like it has many angles to consider for maxing.  Thanks for making this. :)