Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okej5722

Your doom head-canons?

12 hours ago, Coopersville said:

Doomguy died at the end of E1 to get into Hell.

I subscribe to this too, I love it. That "trap" I consider to be the Phobos anomaly itself, and it's fun wondering how the UAC was interacting with or utilizing it.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:54 PM, Doomsdλy1993 said:

I like to think that in the demo recordings in the doom games the people playing, who eventually die, are actually the dead marine corpses you find in those levels.

I actually thought the same thing as I kid!

I like to think TNT and PLUTONIA are canon, and that Eternal isn't. Don't get me wrong, Eternal has an amazing story, but kinda killed the unique feeling by adding too much fantasy elements, hard to image stuff like Maykrs in Classic Doom or even 2016, because it was just all about a badass marine stopping the demon invasion.

I ignore all the lore from 2016 and Eternal. I prefer to view the Doomguy as a heroic marine, rather than a vengeful god.

I believe that Doomguy is beyond dead. Like obviously he dies in E1M8 and goes to Hell a lot. But I mean that he's a revenant, an undead.

I believe that the original DOOM canon ends with Quake 3 Arena where he is sent off there. His skin is obviously a beige white males skin but in certain light it looks close to pale and has me imagining that he's a lot less alive than he once was, which I think fits perfectly with the rest of the edgy and insane loonies in Tier 6.

Plus if he dies, goes to Hell, then comes back I'd assume he'd be an undead anyway.

• WADs that are in my headcannon
    • Doom Zero
      • takes place between Doom 64 and Doom 2016 in some sort of limbo realm that mirrors the reality Doomguy was familiar with
    • No Rest for the Living
      • could've taken place during the events of Doom II? Like an interquel?
    • Final Doom
      • Alternate timeline where Doomguy says "fuck no" in response to returning to Phobos, preventing Doom 64 from ever happening and triggering the events of TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment
    • "The Way id Did" styled WADs appear as Doomguy's nightmares (mentioned in Doom 64's lore)
      • Master Levels for Doom II
      • Doom 1 and 2 the way id did
      • Double Impact
      • No End in Sight
      • Switcheroom
      • Romero's E1M4B and E1M8B
      • maybe Final Doom in this timeline?

Ultimate Doom + Sigil

Doom II: Hell on Earth + The Master Levels + No Rest for the Living

Final Doom

Doom 64 + The Lost Levels

Doom + VFR

Doom Eternal + Ancient Gods

Pretty simple, one story straight through. The first four games take place in one universe, Doomguy stays in Hell, emerges in a different universe in Doom 2016.

Doom 3 sucks monkey ass and I hate it. Bad shooter, bad horror game, bad everything. 

On 11/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, TenenteZashu said:

Another headcanon of mine (even though it's more of a suspicion) is that in Doom 64 the devs accidentally swapped CacoDemons and Pain Elemental sprites

It is suspiciously like that isn't it? I have wondered if the cacodemons started off as pain elementals. But as the arch-vile and revenant got cut, they needed a tougher enemy. So they used that previous pain elemental as the cacodemon and decided to make an amped up new version of the pain elemental, which is the horror we have now.

I like to think of it as if it were the Zelda timeline in a way.

So it goes:

Ultimate Doom—>Sigil—>Doom II—>No Rest for the Living
Sigil 2 is going to dropped by Romero someday so I think it would be placed somewhere there. We’ll have to wait until Sigil 2 releases.

Now here is where it begins to split up into 3 different timelines for Evilution, Plutonia, and Doom 64. I consider them the “split” b/c each one has different endings that don’t tie into each other. Why is there a timeline split? Uhhhh, idk demon magiks is what happened, too much teleporting that doomguy does around levels has messed w/ quantum physics and fucked up the space time continuum. (Also b/c I like to be neat and assign every respective wad to the iwad).

TNT:Evilution—>TNT:Revilution—> any other wad that uses the tnt.wad as a base iwad

Plutonia Experiment—>Plutonia 2—> any other wad that uses the plutonia.wad as a base iwad

Doom 64—> Lost Levels in the Rerelease—> literally any fan made wad in here, this includes Doom 64 for Doom 2 which could be some sort of Revenge set up by the demons w/ Archviles and Revenants appearing now. 

With this timeline split somewhere along the lines Doom ‘16 + Eternal takes place in any 3 of them. Any of the other timelines I guess it never happens and he just retires or dies. 

doomguy uses rollerblades, thats why he is so fast and cant jump
(i know you can jump on rollerblades but what if he falls and gets hurt, that would suck)

I fit Absolution in as the third and final episode of FD. (think of them as separated by a few years.)

Doom 3 and Doom RPG are prequels to 2016, but they take place in a different universe than the mainline games.

(Though I see the Doomslayer as classic Doomguy, Doom 3 marine and the RPG protags are all unique characters, and lack his superhuman abilities.)

TNT and Plutonia don't feature Icons as the final boss, it was only used in the released version due to technical limitations and lack of time/ability. In both of those games, the final encounter was with completely unique monsters that have never appeared in a finished game. (Though I see the Gatekeeper as a supersized version of the Guardian from Doom 3)

My main headcanon is that TNT and Plutonia have different protags unrelated to each other and doomguy. Both wads also take place at the same time parallel to one other

10 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Is it because of all the puzzles?

I actually love puzzles, platforming, and the game forcing you to use more than 1 weapon. I have nothing against the gameplay, just too much fantasy elements.

8 minutes ago, StrangerRanger said:

I actually love puzzles, platforming, and the game forcing you to use more than 1 weapon. I have nothing against the gameplay, just too much fantasy elements.

I loved doing all of that in Darkdome! Switches everywhere! I don't recall very much platforming though...

Imagine if you could attach a rocket launcher to your head, now that would be quite the head cannon!

I'm actually very strict about canon. In my head only PSX Doom (original, not Final Doom) and Doom 64 were legitimate cannon games.

PC Doom (shareware and registered) was a tech demo they charged to play beyond the first free, everything - everything: Thy flesh .., Plutonia .., No rest .., whatever - else was either a cash grab product, a flawed port, a failed reboot, or a cash grab product with very little connecting them to each other - except maybe reused assets, engine code or Blazkowicz family.

Ok, Doom 16 and Doom Eternal were the legitimate cannon continuation of the PSX Doom - Doom 64 line, but they are too new for my head to be comfortable with putting "cannon" tag on them.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:42 AM, StrangerRanger said:

I like to think TNT and PLUTONIA are canon, and that Eternal isn't. Don't get me wrong, Eternal has an amazing story, but kinda killed the unique feeling by adding too much fantasy elements, hard to image stuff like Maykrs in Classic Doom or even 2016, because it was just all about a badass marine stopping the demon invasion.

Hmmm I understand when people say this, but I really like the techno-hell-heaven schtick motiff like in Diablo 3, Eviternity final boss maps and of course Eternal. As great as Doom 1 and 2 are, the only potential for keeping it straight survival/horror/phobos demons is more or less Doom 3. I  think the direction they chose speaks for itself

Doom Slayer is the logical evolution of Doom Guy - consider how badly they could have fucked that up. 

Edited by Kute

On 11/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, OpenRift said:
  • WADs that are in my headcannon
    • Doom Zero
      • takes place between Doom 64 and Doom 2016 in some sort of limbo realm that mirrors the reality Doomguy was familiar with
    • No Rest for the Living
      • could've taken place during the events of Doom II? Like an interquel?
    • Final Doom
      • Alternate timeline where Doomguy says "fuck no" in response to returning to Phobos, preventing Doom 64 from ever happening and triggering the events of TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment
    • "The Way id Did" styled WADs appear as Doomguy's nightmares (mentioned in Doom 64's lore)
      • Master Levels for Doom II
      • Doom 1 and 2 the way id did
      • Double Impact
      • No End in Sight
      • Switcheroom
      • Romero's E1M4B and E1M8B
      • maybe Final Doom in this timeline?

This checks out in my opinion. Double Impact and No End in Sight really feel part of the Doom (especially Doom 1) universe. And NRftL and Final Doom, they're definitely canon. Just side stories, something extra to flesh out the universe past The Marine's perspective.

When it comes to Doom, I always considered this timeline the "real" one.

The Ultimate Doom:

The Marine is stationed on Phobos for disrespecting his CO. The UAC is experimenting and demons invade. The base is overrun and zombiefied, so The Marine fights through them, travels to Deimos, then to Hell to stop the threat.

At the end of Inferno, demons slip through the portal to Earth, so The Marine, in Hell, fights through. He defeats the Spider Mastermind once and for all and travels back to Earth. Although, the sky in Thy Flesh Consumed implies it takes place on Earth, the structures are hellish and gothic. I take this to mean the section of Hell is some sort of Limbo, the uncanny sky reminding Doomguy of Home to torture him further. The story in the Doom games shows a lot of Hell and Humanity blending together from Demonic influence. So this warped reality theme fits, in my opinion.

Doom 2:

The Demons came through Doomguy's portal. Invading Earth, they kill millions, maybe billions. Due to many wad authors never hearing of a magical software known as "DeHacked"*, I'll assume you all are very familiar with Doom 2's story:

Starport, evacuation, corrupted city, descent to Hell, defeat of the Icon, rebuilding Earth.

No Rest for the Living:

Now, imagine during the starport and city sections of Doom 2, somewhere far off in space (perhaps on a Human colony), the protagonist of NRftL is attacked by Demons. He is forced to fight them back to from where they came. Maybe this resistance weakened the Demons enough to help The Marine to enter Hell? Who knows, but I feel it fits in their somewhere.

Doom 64:

As humanity is rebuilding, the UAC finds extreme radiation levels in an abandoned area. The Doom Marine, having been the only operative to survive the Demons (twice!), takes up the job. In the end, he stays in Hell, torturing the Demons for eternity. That way they can never return. This opens up the New Doom games timeline.

Final Doom:

Since Doomguy is occupied, the main happenings of the two games are allowed to exist. Two separate marines are sent on two separate missions: one to fight back the zombies that occupied the Lo Moon base, the other to take out the Demon Hive that poses a threat to Humanity.

The Master Levels:

I know these had a story in the .txt files, but I'm going to ignore them as they really don't help. Maybe Willit's Marine is retaking a base, Mustaine's Marine is teleported to a castle from long, long ago, Krevenmo's Marine is taken to the most desolate place the Demons can find, maybe Klie's Marine is taken to the ninth circle of Hell. The most painful possible existence. His maps sure reflect that. :/

Finally, Double Impact and No End in Sight feel like they happened at the same time as Doom 1, just far off in space. Some other backwater moon bases.

It feels silly to discuss story in such a gameplay oriented experience but I really feel the text screens add a lot to Doom. I think at least some discussion is merited.

*This is such a pet peeve of mine, even a basic story adds so much to Doom.

2 hours ago, Alfredo said:

Deimos stayed in Hell after Doom 1. And should be revisited in the future.

This is sick and wonderful.

Id needs to make this canon. 

My headcanon is that the original sketches John Romero did for the demons actually exist as sprites in some low level of hell & it will take centuries to find them