Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

Doom Font Creator

This looks amazing, but the one kicker is that it needs an "actual" imported font.

For the project I'm working on, I got all the glyphs saved, but they're individual images, not an actual font, so I'm still kinda stuck with mine.

9 hours ago, KILLA DIO said:

I'm trying to run on windows 10 and this will only run in the background, anybody know how to fix this?

8 hours ago, Rexen² said:

I noticed the same issue on win11.  

Maybe it's a problem with the build-in Doom font registration. Do you have already a font named "Doom" in your system?

May I suggest support for some bitmap font formats, notably ZDoom's old FON1 and FON2 formats? It'd allow to use the fonts found here.

For those of us less informed around Doom fonts, can I ask a couple of questions:

• What does a Font Sequence and Number Sequence do? Is that for individual characters for things like the text screens?
  • Does this support existing Bitmap Fonts (e.g. like these)? I find the added artistry and visual depth of Bitmap Fonts fit Doom far better than monotone ttf fonts.

10 hours ago, jval said:

Maybe it's a problem with the build-in Doom font registration. Do you have already a font named "Doom" in your system?

No fonts named Doom, Idk what it could be

I have the 'not-opening' issue on Win 11 - so I checked for a DOOM font. There is nothing in my fonts folder, though if I look in modern Win settings, I find this page - it can't be removed, but I can use the font in Word for example. Not sure if it was somehow created by the app, I might have had some Doom font long ago, but I think I removed it...

image.png.fd614cf1366b3e92950332038216a8b6.png

50 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

I have the 'not-opening' issue on Win 11 - so I checked for a DOOM font. There is nothing in my fonts folder, though if I look in modern Win settings, I find this page - it can't be removed, but I can use the font in Word for example. Not sure if it was somehow created by the app, I might have had some Doom font long ago, but I think I removed it...

image.png.fd614cf1366b3e92950332038216a8b6.png

This is the build-in Doom font. It is installed using Windows API (AddFontResource) and removed when the application terminates (with the RemoveFontResource) According to Microsoft the font will be present in the current session and it will no longer be available when restarting.

6 hours ago, Bauul said:

For those of us less informed around Doom fonts, can I ask a couple of questions:

• What does a Font Sequence and Number Sequence do? Is that for individual characters for things like the text screens?

Yes, the font sequence(s) is the font used eg for player messages and the number sequences are used e.g. for weapons in statusbar. Font sequences generates all fonts as patchs from ASCII character #33 thru ASCII character #127 (all English language printable chars) and the number sequences create only the digits (0 thru 9).

6 hours ago, Bauul said:
  • Does this support existing Bitmap Fonts (e.g. like these)? I find the added artistry and visual depth of Bitmap Fonts fit Doom far better than monotone ttf fonts.

Damn, this needs OCR technology. Challenging but... There are some solutions that could help me but with commercial license (and high price).

7 hours ago, Gez said:

May I suggest support for some bitmap font formats, notably ZDoom's old FON1 and FON2 formats? It'd allow to use the fonts found here.

The font format seems well documented, I thing is pretty doable.

SLADE 3 has code to view the fonts (it just creates an image with all the characters in a row), if you need further code reference.

For generic bitmap fonts, something that may be interesting is this: https://bmf.php5.cz/

2 hours ago, Gez said:

For generic bitmap fonts, something that may be interesting is this: https://bmf.php5.cz/

I spent a good 30 minutes this morning trying to re-find this website to post here!  No wonder I couldn't remember it with that URL.  But yes, I agree, it's these kind of fonts, rather than Truetype fonts, that I feel fit the Doom aesthetic best.

22 hours ago, Gez said:

SLADE 3 has code to view the fonts (it just creates an image with all the characters in a row), if you need further code reference.

Seems that there is no code there (or I look at the wrong place)