Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
egap98

Sands Of Time Reveal Trailer (ZDoom half TC)

For the past few months me and my friends have been working almost nonstop on a kind of half TC for ZDoom compatible source ports. Today, we published the reveal trailer. let us know what you think! 

Looks promising. I'm loving the dual revolvers, though the hitscanner death gives me a bit of pause. I would certainly be willing to give this a try when it is ready for playtesting if you wanted some feedback.

Very well done trailer!

That outdoors area 50 seconds in looks very BTSX inspired.

Excited for it's release!

19 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Very well done trailer!

Excited for it's release!

that map was made by the other map author of the wad, Nights108. great guy, he makes some awesome maps.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, ZeMystic said:

Forgive the bump (I was pointed towards this a little while ago but only now had a look at it), but it looks a little more than merely "inspired". That straight up looks like a mirrored+retextured copy-paste of the opening area of BTSX E1M01, all the way down to the midtextures that sit out a ways from the ledge, that rock ledge with the large tree, and the little waterfall at the start of the cave. The geometry looking noticeably more complex than everything else in the trailer would be odd on its own, but it's doubly so when the area's shaping looks so familiar.

Edited by AD_79

1 hour ago, Tarnsman said:

For reference

BTSX E1M1

2NlDxut.png

This Trailer

ysGvvf6.png

it's not an exact rip off, they added an extra tree. it's basically a whole new level now.

Hey now - every newcomer's got their "inspiration folder!"

I, for one, can't wait for their upcoming 10-Chapter Memoir!

I see you guys pointing out the BTSX thing...

Yeah, I heard, I did go and edit the map, I seriously apologize, you can analyse all my other maps in the wad to death, I swear there's nothing else (outside the blatant Wormhole thing but everyone and their grandma imitates Wormhole at least once)

This gives me some Hell2Pay type vibes except with much less custom monsters than Hell2Pay. That's not a bad,  but its not necessarily a good thing either. The commonality to Hell2Pay is that the texturing looks passable, but not inspired; the enemies may fit the idea flow, but the mixture seems off by using Western Doom or whatever that monster pack was. The other major difference is that Hell2Pay was released in 1995 and used some literal state of the art Dehackery of the time period such as 3D enemies converted to sprites and horizontal laying liquids actually having depth instead of just being an animated floor.

So the highlights for Sands of TIme: That  Train level looks awesome as HECK! (Another trope of Hell2Pay was it had really good level design, but texturing was ugly as sin.)

More Hell2Pay comparison: Hell2Pay had a written narrative that was show on each Level end screen intermission. Lets just say that it was a decent thought, but on the whole it was barely noticeable. Sands of Time is giving this vibe pretty strongly even by the Trailer. By contrast Mars War of 1998 and Hellbound of 2013 give very graphic story drive via map delivery and only Doom 2 standard use of written story.

I  quite hope I am wrong in this comparison based off of a video trailer, but that is what immediately jumped to my mind.

ok so. i've been really distraught about this. as someone who hasn't played much BTSX, i didn't spot this. if i had before i would've let nights do that. i'm sorry for not noticing it earlier.

That is... an extremely silly thing to do, not gonna lie. To not only plagiarise a full section of someone else's map and do essentially nothing to disguise it but flip it on an axis, but to do this with one of the most high-profile megawads of the past decade and take literally the first room of the first map that literally everyone who played it would recognise.

Hell of an ungracious thing to do to your project leader, as well.

22 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Forgive the bump (I was pointed towards this a little while ago but only now had a look at it), but it looks a little more than merely "inspired". That straight up looks like a mirrored+retextured copy-paste of the opening area of BTSX E1M01, all the way down to the midtextures that sit out a ways from the ledge, that rock ledge with the large tree, and the little waterfall at the start of the cave. The geometry looking noticeably more complex than everything else in the trailer would be odd on its own, but it's doubly so when the area's shaping looks so familiar.

here's an apology for what happened regarding this. we're sorry. nights has said it won't happen again, and we would appreciate everyone's support at the moment.

12 minutes ago, egap98 said:

here's an apology for what happened regarding this. we're sorry. nights has said it won't happen again, and we would appreciate everyone's support at the moment.

Not to say I necessarily DESERVE support but all I can say is I’m extremely sorry and, again, feel free to analyse every other map I make ever to death, but there’s still nobody to blame but me, I ask all of you reading NOT to accuse Egap of this, they’re pure and good

Because it makes me feel better before I sleep, here's a screenie of the new, (not stolen), improved map, compare it to everything in your wad folder, it's nothing quite like any of them, and again, sorry

Screenshot_Doom_20211110_005313.png

Hi there, I'm one of SOT's devs, and I'll like to say my piece on the BTSX map thing.

Obviously, I agree to everything said by Jimmy and Egap. I do not condone Nights' actions here, it's downright scummy of him to do this, let alone show it in a trailer announcing the entire project. Of course, Nights' has been given a warning for this and it seems like he wouldn't do this ever again, if he does, he will be kicked off. This doesn't represent us at all, and we won't let this happen ever again.

Thanks for the people who pointed this out.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:20 AM, kalensar said:

This gives me some Hell2Pay type vibes except with much less custom monsters than Hell2Pay. That's not a bad,  but its not necessarily a good thing either. The commonality to Hell2Pay is that the texturing looks passable, but not inspired; the enemies may fit the idea flow, but the mixture seems off by using Western Doom or whatever that monster pack was. The other major difference is that Hell2Pay was released in 1995 and used some literal state of the art Dehackery of the time period such as 3D enemies converted to sprites and horizontal laying liquids actually having depth instead of just being an animated floor.

So the highlights for Sands of TIme: That  Train level looks awesome as HECK! (Another trope of Hell2Pay was it had really good level design, but texturing was ugly as sin.)

More Hell2Pay comparison: Hell2Pay had a written narrative that was show on each Level end screen intermission. Lets just say that it was a decent thought, but on the whole it was barely noticeable. Sands of Time is giving this vibe pretty strongly even by the Trailer. By contrast Mars War of 1998 and Hellbound of 2013 give very graphic story drive via map delivery and only Doom 2 standard use of written story.

I  quite hope I am wrong in this comparison based off of a video trailer, but that is what immediately jumped to my mind.

in the trailer we purposefully show as little of the story other then what's outlined in the trailer although i will tell you that the story plays a MASSIVE part in this megawad, here's hoping the story is up to your standards! let us know of anything we can do to improve the texturing though! we're always looking for advice.