Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Senor Cacodemon

Whats your opinions on marauders

I hear alot of my friends saying that they hate marauders and that they are just annoying but I tend to disagree. I think marauders add difficulty and makes it feels rewarding when you kill them with your godly arsenal. So I just came here to ask if you would agree with my friends, or with me.

It's one of the more memorable enemies at the moment of all the Dooms Enemy rosters. Maybe like the Number 6 in a Top 9 of all enemies in Doom.

Hope they re-introduce the Maurader in laters game with a new style of attack. But remind me how some shield stoping you can frustate players.

Marauders are awesome. Took me a long time to even start getting the muscle memory down to take them down consistently, and I'm still not great at it.

Before getting to that point though, they can be incredibly annoying. But in a good way that inspires you to keep trying.

Not as bad as people made it out to be and i like that the wolves now have a sound when they spawn.

I do think Doom could use something more for a true "rival" character, even if the lack of it is tied with the same reason why possessed soldiers don't carry literal guns that exist in the gameplay context or it's something to do with the power fantasy of the Slayer.

He's balanced.  Davoth is another story, though.  Yes, he's just a big marauder, but I can't stand how you have to wait for the one specific melee attack, and not the other one that looks similar but his eyes don't glow.

3 hours ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

I hear alot of my friends saying that they hate marauders and that they are just annoying but I tend to disagree. I think marauders add difficulty and makes it feels rewarding when you kill them with your godly arsenal. So I just came here to ask if you would agree with my friends, or with me.

In the standard game, they are not threatening in the least.

Like has been said, at the green light, just SSG in their general direction, then ballista shot. If he manages to harm you, dash to a zombie and chainsaw.

I was terrified of this guy because I got to the game late and had seen all the memes - but he's nothing.

With that said, I've never done a master level, fighting 2 of them while having to do other stuff could definitely be trouble. I'd imagine you can't just lead with the SSG because you'll always be hitting the other one, spawning the dog? IDK. 

Just like Archviles before it, they're loathed by people who want the game to be a mindless slugfest where you spam ssg to win and put no thought into target prioritization. I really dig them.

they were amazing before they were nerfed to shit.

37 minutes ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Just like Archviles before it, they're loathed by people who want the game to be a mindless slugfest where you spam ssg to win and put no thought into target prioritization. I really dig them.

They really take over the “Oh frick!” monster slot that the Archvile held in Doom 2 and that, well, nobody has really held since. I enjoy the way one appearing completely changes the dynamic of the fight.

I wish Archie had also been this fun in DE but making him more of a support monster does make sense.

It's a lot of fun keeping them at bay by alternating dodges and opportune staggers, and it's very satisfying when it gets safe enough to juggle a few more weapons into them. I was also a bit relieved to find they weren't the "showstopper" of difficulty that they were made out to be, the game seemed to communicate fairly well on how to take them down.

If you guys find his deleted content, you will see the Marauder had some design for combo attacks and deflects projectiles with his Axe rather than just instantly spawns an Argent shield. I wonder what he could have been.

He does serve a purpose but when you get use to him he isn't too big of a deal. The spirit from the DLCs is more of an issue for me, even if it can be stunned with plasma mod.

Could never bring myself to hate the guy. He's different from the other enemies in that instead of having a particular weapon, mod or ability that counters them, beating him is more about timing and positioning, which I thought was an interesting thing to bring to the table and fits well enough with Eternal's focus on movement. I appreciate that Id stuck to their guns on the design of his combat, while still giving us some QoL things like the wolves howling to announce their arrival and the Looney Tunes-ish stun effect so newer players know exactly where the time window is to deal damage.

Things change a bit when you start throwing buffs on him that mess with his combat balance, given how finely he rides that line between hard-but-fair and just plain frustrating. But even then I dunno, things like the totem-buffed Marauder in Blood Swamps being too fast for his own good is more funny to me than anything.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:18 PM, Faceman2000 said:

They really take over the “Oh frick!” monster slot that the Archvile held in Doom 2 and that, well, nobody has really held since. I enjoy the way one appearing completely changes the dynamic of the fight.

I wish Archie had also been this fun in DE but making him more of a support monster does make sense.

I still find the arch-vile the most dangerous mob in the game

2 minutes ago, Koko Ricky said:

People who hate the marauder tend to also struggle to kill them. When you get the timing down, it's a satisfying fight.

Correct