Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

The UnMaking: 40 visions of madness for Doom 64 (VERSION 2.6!)

For a sneak peak at some of the action, here is a music video featuring a new track I made for the UnMaking: ReMade! Just as the UnMaking conversion started about a year ago, this track was started about the same time. It was the beginning of my efforts to learn how to compose ambient music using the Doom 64 soundset in MIDI. It's definitely unusual, but perhaps unusual in the way the UnMaking is!

6 hours ago, Azuris said:

How is the Difficulty compared to the Original?

I would say about one or two difficulty levels higher than the original. So I would adjust your difficulty based upon that!

Oh and for anyone who doesn't have the Steam version of Doom 64 to play this, it's on sale for pretty cheap ($1.50 in the US) at the moment! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148590/

I'm very excited to play this. Something I am curious of though: will the final version come with gameplay demos?

10 hours ago, Azuris said:

How is the Difficulty compared to the Original?

I think @Immorpher is probably right that it's a notch or two more difficult. The bonus maps are a slightly different story and were made to be especially nasty.

11 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I'm very excited to play this. Something I am curious of though: will the final version come with gameplay demos?

I really wanted to have demos but at present I'm not aware of any way to record them.

1 minute ago, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

I really wanted to have demos but at present I'm not aware of any way to record them.

There is a dem_record command, but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I'd say maybe ask in the KEX Discord.

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

There is a dem_record command, but I'm not entirely sure how it works. I'd say maybe ask in the KEX Discord.

As far as I know from talking with them, this port doesn't have demo functionality but I could be mis-remembering things.

When the walls fell...

If you are looking for short abstract review that will fit overall atmosphere then it will be such: "Before we have had Malevich's square. Now we have@Ryath (aka scwiba)'s sphere."

I've already played original title on "I Own Doom!" before and reviewed it here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2251688. If you have previosly used my instruction to play 64 EX with wad via Steam, https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2251688, then you can simply roll things back by files check, i.e. Steam cache. After just run the #INSTALL UNMAKING.bat.

So. Currently was stick to "The Lost Levels" only on same "I Own Doom!" where we have, basically, four levels. First slot goes for intro, second for the hub and last one for bonus arena (it seems) with three difficulties to pick.

tu_tll_1-jpg.249664tu_tll_2-jpg.249666tu_tll_3-jpg.249668

tu_tll_4-jpg.249672tu_tll_5-jpg.249673

* Due to the specifics of how the hub is built and Doom 64 in particular, it is possible to return to previously completed levels. Useful in case you want to try to replenish ammunition in such an unusual way.

* I recommend starting the passage from the hub with the Sun - this will allow you to get a double-barreled gun and a BFG. Without the second it will be hard to deal with things in the final on the blue planet. It is also better not to spend ammo on cyberdemons. To leave the level you need:

1. Press three switches.

2. Pick up the rune.

3. Find a yellow or red skull in the maze and open the passage to the exit with them.

* On Saturn in the orange location you can get a mega sphere. For this:

tu_tll_6-jpg.249676tu_tll_7-jpg.249677tu_tll_8-jpg.249678

1. Start moving from the point shown in the screenshot. Move straight, then left.

2. Move slowly until a ledge is visible to the left in front. Jump onto it.

3. Again, move slightly to the left and move towards for the sphere.

tu_tll_9-jpg.249679

All monsters can be destroyed on the "white bridge". The megasphere that can be found there, in turn, can be left behind for further use.

* The final location will have a rather tough battle in 4 rounds. The main strategy is to ensure that you do not attack the boss, but the waves of enemies that appear do. To do this you can run into the center, it works as a teleport, or cut circles behind the backs of enemies (works better), no matter will it be spiders, mancubuses or cyberdemons. For completing the level the destruction of all enemies is not necessary, although along the way, to simplify the passage, you will still have to get rid of some of them, although the boss can help with this. In my case at the end there were 2 cyberdemons left - I'm ran out of cartridges completely and it is quite problematic to finish them off with the fists only (but some folks on doomworld for sure can).

tu_tll_10-jpg.249685

Pros:

+ Atmosphere.
+ Sound design.

+ Variety of themes for new levels.

+ Original final boss.

Contras:

* The concept is not bad, same as the levels, but they are might be inferior in terms of interest to a number of those available in the main campaign in my opinion, where I've marked with short notes in pros 13 maps of 33 available.

Edited by UnknDoomer

Couple important notes:

The current patcher doesn't work if Doom 64 was installed through the Bethesda launcher. I think the steps under "If an error occurs..." in the instructions file should still work though if you don't mind patching manually.

I'm also getting reports of a couple softlocks in Map37 and 38. I'm working on a fix but until then you can use noclip via the console to free yourself.

5 hours ago, Immorpher said:

As far as I know from talking with them, this port doesn't have demo functionality but I could be mis-remembering things.

Well damn. Somebody better get working on a DOOM64-RE fork with demo recording then!

The Doom 64 re-release only supports the original N64 demo format, which is built around N64 controller inputs (including the analogue stick). Recording new demos is not implemented.

In more on-topic news, this mapset is great.

Some thoughts. One of the reasons I've mentioned Kairo is not just design similarity. This game has zero monsters or any characters, or, well, depends on terminology issue considering that, for example, the Japanese believe that non-animate objects can acquire a soul, well, in one way or another... The game is full of puzzles, sometimes very difficult. But it / she can also be pretty scary by combining the sound design and overall style / atmosphere (don't believe me? try to play it a little further...), which was underlined by @Immorpher just right.

So why am I writing this? @Ryath (aka scwiba), you can use this as a concept for a possible sequel that will be on opposite line of the street. There is a very small number of puzzle wads. And ever less one that combine horror / puzzle parts in clever, smart way, i.e. without modern "low cost" screamers and etc.

Some examples:

1. New Map - A Lost Soul?

2. The Given - A large, monsterless, puzzle map

+/- 3. Sacrament

+/- 4. Cries Of Doom (currently in progress)

* Overall topic

Edited by UnknDoomer

I played through some maps yesterday,  Like the layouts and concepts so far,  nice to see something different,  Its awesome it can be played on steam release as well,  may end doing a playthrough eventually,  been looking for new doom 64 maps.

16 hours ago, Kinsie said:

The Doom 64 re-release only supports the original N64 demo format, which is built around N64 controller inputs (including the analogue stick). Recording new demos is not implemented.

When you say "built around N64 controller inputs", that makes me wonder how far that rule goes. Because you can pretty much use most of the N64 equivalent controls on your keyboard, the only thing being analog strafing (since on the N64 you can't look while using the strafe modifier). That being said, I do wonder how it goes about handling analogue turning, if the demo reads analogue input itself or how much/how fast the player turns in-game. Given it's probably the former, it sounds like the best way to go about demo recording if possible would be to have a controller mapped to N64-compatible inputs and just play that way for demos. I wonder how the devs recorded the original demos anyway...

7 hours ago, OpenRift said:

When you say "built around N64 controller inputs", that makes me wonder how far that rule goes. Because you can pretty much use most of the N64 equivalent controls on your keyboard, the only thing being analog strafing (since on the N64 you can't look while using the strafe modifier). That being said, I do wonder how it goes about handling analogue turning, if the demo reads analogue input itself or how much/how fast the player turns in-game. Given it's probably the former, it sounds like the best way to go about demo recording if possible would be to have a controller mapped to N64-compatible inputs and just play that way for demos. I wonder how the devs recorded the original demos anyway...

Yeah, I mean it's built around N64 analogue stick inputs, from what I remember having it explained to me. Not something trivial to re-do recording of, at any rate :(

49 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Yeah, I mean it's built around N64 analogue stick inputs, from what I remember having it explained to me. Not something trivial to re-do recording of, at any rate :(

It wouldn't be hard to re-record that, but it would control like shit. The characteristics of the acceleration and such were built into the input processing rather than the player input data. Imagine shorttics but much much worse.

This conversation is a little beyond me, but if there's any way to record demos for this I'd be up for trying. Even if the controls were terrible and I was completely bumbling around, the recordings would come out better than the nonsense demos that are in the wad now.

Thought I would spam this win... Dreadful on the D64 discord got UnMaking running on the Nintendo Switch!!

Edited by Immorpher

20 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Thought I would spam this win... Dreadful on the D64 discord got UnMaking running on the Nintendo Switch!!

Let's goooooooooo!!! Here's hoping we see an anniversary update this march with this WAD as an addon 🤞

On 11/9/2021 at 1:16 AM, Edward850 said:

It wouldn't be hard to re-record that, but it would control like shit. The characteristics of the acceleration and such were built into the input processing rather than the player input data. Imagine shorttics but much much worse.

So, while we got you here: does the dem_record console command actually do anything?

15 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

So, while we got you here: does the dem_record console command actually do anything?

It's a kex network function (it records the networking pipeline), so not for Doom64 it doesn't as the network subsystem is never engaged.

New version is up to fix a number of softlocks and tweak some things in the bonus maps. The only original map I touched is 04 (thanks to @finnks13 for kindly breaking that one).

This new patcher should also look in the default places if you have Doom 64 through GamePass or the Bethesda launcher. If you have any issues with it, please let me know.

15 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I just hope someone does the same for other Doom 64 EX megawads, such as they are.

Now that I'm familiar with the conversion process I'm happy to help anyone who wants to port their stuff over. It's actually not too bad a job if you know what to look for.

Wooo new patch out! And for anyone who missed it in the last Doom Master Wadazine, here's the poster for the UnMaking!

On 11/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, OpenRift said:

I wonder how the devs recorded the original demos anyway...

There was some type of port on an N64 dev kit that could write back data to a host controller system. There's code for it left in the ROM IIRC.