Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JacobHeverly

How To Make A Wad End After 1 Episode

I want to make a wad for Doom 2 that has 8 levels, which I'll basically make as an episode. How can I make the game end (Like the end text sequence) after 8 levels?

3 hours ago, Marn said:

Damage 20% and ends level

That would still send the player to the next map.

You will need to either use MAPINFO to set the nextmap after your last map to endgame or make a dummy map with no exit as suggested. Add something pretty to it though, like a thank you for playing texture.

20 minutes ago, Nevander said:

... or make a dummy map with no exit as suggested. Add something pretty to it though, like a thank you for playing texture.

@JacobHeverly

Take a look at how Brit11.wad was done.

12 hours ago, Nevander said:

You will need to either use MAPINFO to set the nextmap after your last map to endgame or make a dummy map with no exit as suggested. Add something pretty to it though, like a thank you for playing texture.

I am very inexperienced with things like this. Do I have to make 1 MAPINFO lump for a whole wad, or one for each level? Sorry for the dumb question, like I said I know basically nothing about this other than how to add custom textures, and how to change things like level names and level music.

For DOOM/BOOM format maps do what I linked to above.

For ZDoom, GZDoom, Eternity (Doom in Hexen format or UDMF) set a linedef with the action special to end the game,

ZmO2nBS.png

If you want to use MAPINFO to set other stuff as well, then check in MAPINFO/Map_definition 

There are other ways to accomplish ending a pwad, but for now the linedef method is simplest.

Edited by Kappes Buur

If you use a MAPINFO file all you have to do is to NOT have a "next=" line and the wad will end, going straight to the cast roll. I discovered that by mistake.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:56 AM, Stabbey said:

If you use a MAPINFO file all you have to do is to NOT have a "next=" line and the wad will end, going straight to the cast roll. I discovered that by mistake.

This is great, but it would be SUPER GREAT if you could provide a code example......?

35 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

This is great, but it would be SUPER GREAT if you could provide a code example......?

Here ya go:

Map map01 "Clean Machine"
SKY1 "sky3" 0.5
music "music01" 
//next "map02"

what I've done there is just // commented out next "map02"

Yeah. In most cases, in code, commenting something allows someone to see what's going on in the code for easier reference eg:

// this is an example of what will happen when this key is pressed..

And that line of code will be over looked..

But in this case, I simply // commented the line out so it would be the same as next "map02" not even being there.

However instead of removing the line completely, it remains, incase I decide to put that line back by only removing //..

Look at it as an on and off switch. ;)

On 12/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, JacobHeverly said:

Do I have to make 1 MAPINFO lump for a whole wad, or one for each level?

You only need to make 1 lump for the whole wad, and you throw every map/episode definition in there. The ZDoom wiki has a ton of helpful examples and documentation on writing your MAPINFO lump.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:46 PM, JacobHeverly said:

I want to make a wad for Doom 2 that has 8 levels, which I'll basically make as an episode. How can I make the game end (Like the end text sequence) after 8 levels?

I didn't see where you specified what port you were targeting, so for ports that don't support MAPINFO, an alternate method would be to end the wad on Map 11, Map 15 (with the exit being the secret exit line), Map 20, or Map 30, like these examples:

• Maps 04 - 11, with a Map 12 that just says "The End" or something and has no exit. Don't forget there will also be a text screen after Map 06.
  • Maps 08 - 15, with a Map 31 that is your exit-less "End" map. The exit at the end would have to be the secret exit so that you get the text screen before going to the secret level.
  • Maps 13 - 20, with a Map 21 that is your exit-less "End" map.
  • Maps 23 - 30. As this is the actual end of the game, it would automatically have a text screen and end screen with nothing else after it.

Remember, there's no rule that requires your mapset to start at Map 01. Some people will say that it is an inconvenience for players to have to specify a different starting map, but there are plenty of mapsets that do exactly this and are still played. This method will guarantee that you have an ending text screen. You could also use the secret exits to 31 and 32 to get up to an additional two text screens in the middle of your non-MAPINFO mapset.