Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

2 hours ago, Mr Masker said:

Wasn't this released in early 2020? If it is then I don't think it's eligible for a 2021 cacoaward.

Since this was released last year and has not been in anyway updated since then, no, it would not be eligible.

Just finished Bloom, and it definitely deserves a spot!

Like, holy shit! Some of the sequences are so crazy, I couldn't believe that it was possible to do in Doom!

Spoiler

Like when after pressing a switch, the entire room gets corrupted Silent Hill style in the front of your eyes! 

Edited by unraveler

I want to mention the project RAMP.

I absolutely love playing all those beginners maps via the huge hub. I feel like playing a videogame like Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, Major Arlene said:

Since this was released last year and has not been in anyway updated since then, no, it would not be eligible.

Oops, my bad.

Most definitely Bloom by Bloom Team 666, just like @Shawny said. I really think it's one of the best Doom mods I have ever played! When I played the "incomplete" version of it before Halloween, I was running on the ceiling from how good it was! (and my husband did, too... pretty much)

I have not played the full version just yet, but I bet it's gonna be amazing, given how much thought and effort has been put into the previously released levels. Solid stunning work, both visually and gameplay-wise!

Another easy nomination for Snap The Sentinel. They rolled out their 'shareware' episode today. Much more polished than the 7DFPS prototype and about twice as long. There's even campaign co-op, a second, tougher loop and an Invasion style horde mode.

It's a standalone ZDoom game rather than a mod, but that still counts, right?

On 11/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, Dominic Tarason said:

Another easy nomination for Snap The Sentinel. They rolled out their 'shareware' episode today. Much more polished than the 7DFPS prototype and about twice as long. There's even campaign co-op, a second, tougher loop and an Invasion style horde mode.

Nice Sonic-inspired soundtrack.

On 11/11/2021 at 5:38 PM, Dominic Tarason said:

The Adventures of Square is not a mod, and it win a cacoward, twice in fact, so yeah, this one counts, too.
But since it was release after the nomination period ended, usually the first week of november, it probably enter for next year.

Seems like Square has a good contender to Snap out :D

3 hours ago, Master O said:

@ginc

I second this... this is one of the finest examples of UDMF mapping that I have EVER seen

+Ashes Afterglow is a no brainer. In fact I was surprised the first episode was only a 'runner up'. Time to fix it by giving the Cacoward to the second ep.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, Dominic Tarason said:

Historically it would fall under the Spaceship of Theseus award.

However, as GZDoom has become a more commonplace commercial engine, there's debate to be had about whether standalone games that use it really belong in the Cacowards, which is really about celebrating Doom mods.

My feeling is that free standalone games like Adventures of Square and Snap The Sentinel (which is free, I think?) sort of straddle the line enough that they could be considered relevant to the Cacowards, at least in their own category, while commercial releases (like Hedon or Selaco) probably wouldn't (for the same reason no-one would have considered Heretic or Hexen as eligible).