Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arsinikk

Purple Rain (My First Map) [Vanilla Doom 2 + Dehacked]

I had a go of this (earlier build) a while back - can affirm that this is a very fun map to play!

Bit curious about the presence of an Unity version, though. Any noteworthy changes there?

Pretty awesome map, the traps and fights are pretty mean on a blind run and the secrets are well hidden, I like it. The hell knight fight could have a couple more cacos to create pressure but it isn't a big deal honestly, it's just fine as is.

Can't wait to see more maps from you, this is very good, especially for a 1st map.

Here's my uv max demo and recording of this map:

prplrain01m420.zip

ps: The 4:20 time was non intentional btw, but lets just say it was :)

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I had a go of this (earlier build) a while back - can affirm that this is a very fun map to play!

Bit curious about the presence of an Unity version, though. Any noteworthy changes there?

I have actually added a section to the post under The Mapping Process header talking specifically about the Bethesda Port... because the Bethesda Port is weird...

There are no actual changes to the actual MAP01 itself. It is mostly changes to the Dehacked and Sprites.

First of all, The Bethesda Port supports Dehacked... Kind of. If you use any of the values in the Misc section of Dehacked, the port will crash.

Secondly, to get this wad to work correctly in Vanilla Doom, I had to rename all the sprites (example: POSS = POS2), because Vanilla Doom doesn't like when you replace sprites unless all of them are replaced. So the only way to use the custom palleted sprites in the Bethesda Port is to use the actually name of the sprites (POSS).

Next, The Bethesda Port has the widescreen assets built into the wad, since The Bethesda Port doesn't allow for multiple WADs to be loaded at once. And while this is a small change, there is a major difference with how The Bethesda Port and all other source ports deal with the widescreen status bar:

unity-statusbar.png.1b812cf355d227bc56c38eeab6b19dd9.png

Lastly, there is really weird thing with The Bethesda Port that I ran into... It really doesn't like when you kill multiple Nazi enemies at once (even when they are replaced with different enemies in Dehacked). Open spoiler if you've played the map:

Spoiler

Originally I had the teleported corpses be Nazis, but it caused a weird visual bug in the Unity port:unity-bug.jpg.52c83ec09f9c894602c4b89094d880ac.jpg

33 minutes ago, Blip said:

Pretty awesome map, the traps and fights are pretty mean on a blind run and the secrets are well hidden, I like it. The hell knight fight could have a couple more cacos to create pressure but it isn't a big deal honestly, it's just fine as is.

Can't wait to see more maps from you, this is very good, especially for a 1st map.

Here's my uv max demo and recording of this map:

prplrain01m420.zip

ps: The 4:20 time was non intentional btw, but lets just say it was :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Funny thing is that originally I did have more Cacos during that fight... and ended up removing even more then there are in the final release, but later I thought there wasn't enough pressure on the player, so I added some back.

I guess I felt I wanted to be a little nicer on the player and make the next fight the hard one.

Thanks for playing my map!

I come here, twice already, with this face expecting Purple Rain,
Purple-Rain-Prince-purple-rain-33958288-

...and there is no purple rain, so my eyes start raining...
90774eb73d7defa43a678903e6e20053.gif
...but then i found one hell of a great vanilla map...
So i go to download it with this face...
4540ddf9b239ac739bca690958d765a9.gif

Now i need to finish my Prince tribute map.

On the map, great work, @Arsinikk.
I played it blind an i had a blast for sure.

I love all the kinda scripting on vanilla you made for this one.
I highly enjoyed it.
:)

Edited by P41R47

I agree with the others here, this is a very promising first map! The purple theme is really cool, don't mind seeing it used every now and again to add some flavor to a wad. Another thing I don't mind seeing every now and again is a map author who composes their own map midis. I personally love the midis here, they're energetic! And I'm a sucker for wads with bespoke soundtracks.

After UV Maxing this map, I gotta say I really like it. It's got a lot of character the way the voodoo doll scripting is used, and seeing them used in a vanilla compatible wad is a neat novelty that doesn't get used enough. Another thing that stuck out to me was the way secrets are hidden. The switches are embedded deeply into environmental details, which encourages you to pay extra attention to every detail. Reminds me of Grove, but I had a much easier time UV Maxing this map. Great job for a first map!

My stats for my first run:

Kills: 131/131

Items: 119/119

Secrets: 8/8

Time: 18:43

Edited by Moustachio

This map is real good. I like it. You should remove the rad suits from UV Difficulty. They make the damaging floors irrelevant and UV players are used to dealing with damaging floors so it shouldn't increase the difficulty too much.

5 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

This map is real good. I like it. You should remove the rad suits from UV Difficulty. They make the damaging floors irrelevant and UV players are used to dealing with damaging floors so it shouldn't increase the difficulty too much.

I respect your opinion on the rad suit in UV, although it was a deliberate choice on my part to utilise rad suits on this map. This map is a map01 out of a possible future mapset, so it is not supposed to be super difficult. Personally I tend to dislike damaging floors when they conflict with combat, and with these fights in particular, I did not design them to utilise damaging floors.

On the other note, the rad suit has been renamed to "Purple Raincoat", so this map was always meant to include rad suits.

I have some future maps in the works that will take in account damaging floors into their fights, but this map is not one of those.

I thank you for your input though.

1 hour ago, Moustachio said:

I agree with the others here, this is a very promising first map! The purple theme is really cool, don't mind seeing it used every now and again to add some flavor to a wad. Another thing I don't mind seeing every now and again is a map author who composes their own map midis. I personally love the midis here, they're energetic! And I'm a sucker for wads with bespoke soundtracks.

After UV Maxing this map, I gotta say I really like it. It's got a lot of character the way the voodoo doll scripting is used, and seeing them used in a vanilla compatible wad is a neat novelty that doesn't get used enough. Another thing that stuck out to me was the way secrets are hidden. The switches are embedded deeply into environmental details, which encourages you to pay extra attention to every detail. Reminds me of Grove, but I had a much easier time UV Maxing this map. Great job for a first map! 

@Moustachio , I'm glad you like the map. A few of the playtesters asked me why I decided to go with Vanilla Doom, instead of Boom or even Limit-Removing. My response would be that while Boom has amazing features, I find it more fascinating to push the original Doom Engine to its limit. In fact, the shutter room and the circle arena are each around 1-2 planes from VPOing, and so alot of testing was required on my part to make sure there was no way for Vanilla Doom to crash.

While voodoo dolls have been used to great effect, I haven't really found many wads that really dabble with environmental transformations. And after playing wads like Doom Zero and Going Down, having the environment change around the player, I think can really create interesting and memorable encounters.

I'm a sucker for secrets. In fact, for this map in particular, around half of the map is entirely optional. I despise bad and/or broken secrets, since I love secret hunting. I didn't want to make the secrets too hidden, but also not too easy to find. And I didn't want to rely on any doom secret cliches either.

Regarding the music, I'm very much a fan of the original doom 1994 soundtrack and I wanted to make midis that gave the same feeling as those tracks. I'm not sure if I've completely succeeded, but I'm sure that the midis do have their unique sound.

This map really messes with your head in a brilliant and fantastic way! Heck, some of the features used here I've rarely seen in other doom maps. This is AMAZING! :D

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

This map really messes with your head in a brilliant and fantastic way! Heck, some of the features used here I've rarely seen in other doom maps. This is AMAZING! :D

It uses the latest ''features''.
Linguortals and Mikoportals.

To create mind bending map tricks and interesting soft scripting.

Its a great example of a good map made with all what the vanilla engine can offer.

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

It uses the latest ''features''.
Linguortals and Mikoportals.

To create mind bending map tricks and interesting soft scripting.

Its a great example of a good map made with all what the vanilla engine can offer.

I would just like to clarify that this map does not use Linguortals nor Mikoportals.

Mikoportals are not supported in ZDoom/GZDoom, and I wanted my map to be able to be played in as many source ports as possible.

While the starting part using a barrel's blast radius to push a voodoo doll is the same as a mikoportal, my conveyors (which are honestly not really conveyors) are just a voodoo doll crossing 7 action linedefs at once.

7 minutes ago, Arsinikk said:

I would just like to clarify that this map does not use Linguortals nor Mikoportals.

Mikoportals are not supported in ZDoom/GZDoom, and I wanted my map to be able to be played in as many source ports as possible.

While the starting part using a barrel's blast radius to push a voodoo doll is the same as a mikoportal, my conveyors (which are honestly not really conveyors) are just a voodoo doll crossing 7 action linedefs at once.

well, i didn't notice the health drop on the damage to the voodoo dolls, so i thought you found another way to implement the mikoportals.
And the backpack illusion totally looks like a linguortal, how you achieved that effect?
I mean the one that can be seen through a hole.

In other words.
This is just achieved by the known engine features and not the recent discoveries.
That makes it far better than i thought.
:D

Edited by P41R47

13 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

well, i didn't notice the health drop on the damage to the voodoo dolls, so i thought you found another way to implement the mikoportals.
And the backpack illusion totally looks like a linguortal, how you achieved that effect?
I mean the one that can be seen through a hole.

In other words.
This is just achieved by the known engine features and not the recent discoveries.
That makes it far better than i thought.
:D

@P41R47 About the backpack window... it literally is just a window to the backpack:

Spoiler

825462714_Screenshot(313).png.e2cbf3dea081e58bf33ecf3ea21469e4.png

This is how the view looks like further in from the window:

1696081492_Screenshot(314).png.c5c683b50a2c14a8b9323b9fb7551e30.png

When the player enters the section, a sector in front of the backpack window view instantly raises:

Spoiler

18215537_Screenshot(315).png.e1545cc29140c201fdc610bd4531f356.png

Another thing to note is that the wall that you see through is transparent on the side of the window view, and an opaque midtexture in the actual backpack room (with the addition of being impassable):

312626187_Screenshot(316).png.7937b73c0210dc4033585fdd3c5a42ca.png

Honestly, I had a BLAST playing this. For your first map, you absolutely knocked it out of the park. I'll be watching your career with great interest ;)

12 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

detailed explanation

clever, my good man!
As i didn't heard the floor raising, thought it was another kind of trick.
So yeah, you triked me ;)