Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vox

csDoom Master Server

I have set up a new csDoom master server (csdoom.voxelsoft.com), as the original csdoom.dhs.org seems to be down again.

Current master's server list can be accesed at:
http://www.voxelsoft.com/csdoom

Any server ops are welcome to use this master server as primary or backup. I've also hexedited a copy of the original launcher to use this master.

http://www.voxelsoft.com/csdoom/launcher2.zip

I may be releasing a new client soon.

- Vox

may be it is better to reregister current csdoom master-server domain name (csdoom.dhs.org) to your site, if you plan to permanently use it and support csdoom? try to contact with BahdKo - she hosts csdoom master server now

thx, yeah this master has been running for a while already now, ive helped nightfang fix a bug, but after that he's kinda disappeared. before i start talking of supporting csdoom it'd be nice to get familiar with exactly what the current official status of it is :)

another idea i had is to patch the csdoom server with multiple master server ip support for greater resilience, ive got a test that seems to be running fine

Yeh, strange though, they disable turbo cheat in Zdaemon and "Oh look now csDoom is popular" :P

woohoo! I for one am glad to see someone fixing the bugs for csdoom instead of just adding a bunch of new buggy features. Vox has been doing this for over a year now, although you might not have known that by looking at the site (what happened to the csdoom 1.3 download? and the bug fixes list :). This is a project that I wanted to start (except with .62 codebase) but never really got into it enough. So anyways, keep up the good work Vox.

csDoom masterserver is now too supported by Doom Connector. Both masterserver addresses are added in its list by default, but you can ofcourse enter a custom one too if you feel a need to :) The custom peer-to-peer csDoom games were already and still are supported.

Vox please keep me updated whenever you change something that makes it (in any way) incompitable with the last csDoom version, thanks!

Imp said:

no offense to anyone just stating my opinon:

Csdoom is the biggest heap of shit ever made.

If CS Doom would have not been released once, multiplayer
Doom would not be where it is today.

I don't know why you call this "heap of shit", that is
not an opinion, that is "shit" ... because it is pointless.

I havent really played csDoom, but AFAIK its much like ZDaemon. IMO ZDaemon having nicer features and works a little better.

Unfortunately all three C/S DOOM source mods share too much in common... all based on zdoom with the same basic features. Granted that skulltag is more specialized in what it does, but zdaemon and csdoom are practically the same thing. It would be neater if they offered distictive features. At the very least csdoom and zdaemon could have a different source mod base. Prboom is an excellent choice for the basis of a C/S engine, or you could simply use the raw source code, implement a good Windows/Linux-based sound code, add the network code, and presto, you'd have a pretty genuine port with C/S capabilities. Two (pretty much equal) median, popularity-oriented engines are a waste of time and energy, and they generate this sort of friction (e.g. Imp's silly post.) One is enough, while any others should specialize on other things.

Yes I agree, (you can see that in whats happening with the current situation between csDoom and ZDaemon) But in that case, the authors should always bring their engine (close) to perfection... (and IMO, they always should do so in any case :P hehehe)

The Experience said:

If CS Doom would have not been released once, multiplayer
Doom would not be where it is today.

I don't know why you call this "heap of shit", that is
not an opinion, that is "shit" ... because it is pointless.

so the creator of csdoom can modify a source code. basicaly all he did was change the name and wrote a launcher.

Imp said:

so the creator of csdoom can modify a source code. basicaly all he did was change the name and wrote a launcher.

Change a name? Explain.

1.) all ports are modifications of a source code... the Doom source code. i guess that make's all ports "heaps of shit".

2.) ..if you believe adding a client/server networking with client prediction to an existing codebase is soo damn easy then please do us a favor and write us a new cs port. The fact is, csDoom was pretty revolutionary for internet Doom multiplay. Sure it was just a mesh of quakeworld and zdoom, but it takes a lot more than just copying and pasting a few lines of code to come up with a csdoom...