Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

Quick question regarding dual monitor setups (HDMI + DisplayPort)

I'm currently looking into purchasing a second monitor for my desktop PC, mainly for the purpose of improving my streaming setup. So far, how I've been doing it is running whatever game I'm streaming in windowed mode and having the chat off to the side on the same screen, which has worked well enough, but I have been wanting to migrate to a more "professional" setup for a while. Part of the reason is that I intend to also start streaming my mapping more actively (and possibly also some music production), and using Display Capture for capturing the respective programs off of one monitor while shoving OBS and stuff over to the other is likely to make things that much less painful to set up.

Anyway, my GPU has one HDMI port, to which my current monitor is hooked up, and three DisplayPorts that I can hook additional monitors up into. I did some googling and was able to discover that DisplayPort works for daisy-chaining monitors. My question is, is it a good idea to use a HDMI-to-DisplayPort cable to hook up the second monitor, or would I be better off using a cable with DisplayPort connectors on both ends? The monitor I'm looking at does have both HDMI and DisplayPort connections, so I'm guessing the latter would be the more sensible choice in my case.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. You can not daisy-chain from your HDMI monitor into the 2nd monitor, the whole chain has to be DP. Also note that the monitor (and GPU, but I don't think that's a problem nowadays) has to support daisy-chaining (it has to have an DP out). So the sensible way is to just attach each monitor with one cable directly to your GPU.

4 minutes ago, boris said:

the sensible way is to just attach each monitor with one cable directly to your GPU.

I did figure as much, and that is how I intend to do it. What I was getting at is whether I should use an HDMI-to-DisplayPort or DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable to actually connect the second monitor to the GPU. Obviously it depends on the connections available in whatever monitor I end up getting, but I was mostly wondering if the former would be a sensible option even in the case that the monitor has a DisplayPort connection.

Hope that clarifies my train of thought adequately.

If possible you should always use cables that have the same type on both ends. Otherwise you have a (possible much) higher risk of running into compatibility problems.

37 minutes ago, boris said:

If possible you should always use cables that have the same type on both ends. Otherwise you have a (possible much) higher risk of running into compatibility problems.

Alright, that settles it then. Much appreciated. c: