Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shibboleth

Do you like other retro games (other than DOOM)?

Hey there,

I just wanted to ask if people here play other retro games than DOOM. I'm personally quite fond of anything made between 1977-1997. To me, it was always the sweet spot for retro.

I'm a fan of Konami's classics personally (Castlevania, Contra, Parodius, Gradius, Salamander), and other DOS games I like include Quake (of course), the Commander Keen series, Wolfenstein 3D, Prince of Persia, among many others.

I'm a fan of the Atari 2600, MSX, C64, and Turbografx-16. 

So, how about you?

Edited by Mike Grueman

if we talking about games released in the 90s, then yeah, I played quite bit of them. Like 3D Realm's Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Monolith's Blood, earlier id software games, etc. If you ask me which is the one I most played then the answer is Blood and Quake.

I still regularly play 28+ year old arcade and console games and am building my own arcade machine so yeah you could say that. Some examples include speedball 2, final fight, double dragon, aliens vs predator, streets of rage series, sonic series, wonderboy 3, mortal kombat and street fighter 2.

Yes, many :)

2D Games especially from the Super Nintendo Era, they're more polished than Games before and even most of Difficult ones are fair.

Older Titles often where unfair and even made Worse to the western Release (taking out Continues/Lives or easy Mode).

The same for 3D Games, early 3D Polygon Titles where clunky and ugly.

The Appeal of many 90s Games is their Gameplay Design, Genres where more define and not so often overlapping.

No Skill Tree in Resident Evil, as an made up Example :)

(and no, i like new Games also very much)

P.S.

Parodius is great, one of the rare Shoot'em Ups i am good in :D

oh hell yeah man, one of my favorite series is Metroid. I knew about it even before Doom. Metroid Prime 1 my second favorite game of all time after Doom. I also love Castlevania and Megaman X. X2 was HUGE part of my childhood.

It depends. I'm 32, grew up in the 90's and had all the respective Nintendo consoles, but I'd be hard pressed to sit down with them today. My preferred retro gaming console is actually the Gamecube because of the controller and graphical fidelity. And I only play Doom in sourceports nowadays. 

I would say I do. Most games I play these days are from the 90s and before. Not because I have a particular affinity for them, I mean I do like them and there's ton of stuff, but because I am poor and emulating those games is free.

I mean, yeah. The SNES is one of my favourite consoles of all time depite the fact I didn't even grow up with it.

...that, and the fact I own all mainline Nintendo consoles except the Wii (<- I just use the vWii on the Wii U for Wii games).

I'm also a fan of the C64. I was able to obtain a C64 Maxi at the start of last year. Far more better and intuitive than using a C64 emulator.

My favourite RTS is a 1997 release called Total Annihilation, so ja. Game's older than I am, yet so chock-full of innovative ideas, many of which are largely or completely unique to it. Namely, it was the originator of the now largely-extinct "flow economy", which would only ever recur in TA's spiritual successors (like Supreme Commander and Planetary Annihilation), as well as being (afaik) the first RTS to feature a fully-3d physics system, modelling things like shell trajectory and momentum, which gives the game a uniquely tactile feel. Like Doom, it has maintained an active modding scene ever since its release, which continues to experiment with the game's mechanics to this day.

Incidentally, the first game I ever played, Worms 2, is also a 1997 release, though my main interaction with that franchise was via 1999's Worms Armageddon, which is pretty much the same game mechanically, but with waaay more features and a fullscreen GUI for match setup. While I haven't played the game in years, it is telling that my first exposure to the medium was via an (at the time) ten year old release.

Depending on one's definition of 'retro', Rome: Total War may count as well. I've sunk more time into it than the rest of the TW franchise combined. Again, this is at least partially due to the game's still-active modding community, though the majority of my playtime was probably still spent on the base game. RTW is easily the most campy and ridiculous in the franchise, and I love that about it. No attempt at historical realism was made, to the point that the armies of Ptolemaic Egypt are clad and equipped in Bronze age fashion, despite the fact that in IRL said faction's army was drawn exclusively from the Greco-Macedonian ruling class and equipped in a similar fashion to the other Diadochi forces. Readability and a sort of pop-culture awareness was prioritized above accuracy, which makes the game by far the most vibrant and stylish of the TWs.

There are many other games which I greatly enjoy which could probably be described as either "retro" in some capacity or at least "retro-inspired". To me, there is no specific appeal behind the concept, strictly speaking, though I'll admit to loathing the design sensibilities that have underlined most mainstream titles for the last 10-odd years (e.g obsession with fidelity over aesthetics, integration of superfluous RPG mechanics, overabundance of cutscenes, emphasis on Hollywood-inspired cinematic effects etc etc etc). My general preference for somewhat older releases is almost entirely incidental, a result of past (and present) hardware limitations on my part and the fact that many of my favourite genres are dying out / have succumbed to genericization and stagnation.

Yeah, I personally find old game better than most of the mainstream crap being released today, today games are made for money not for passion, the popular games are made by large companies filled with micro transactions and the such, there is the indie scene which games are a hit or miss in the fun department.

Anyway old games I played and still enjoy to an extent.

- GTA vice city and san andreas

- Tomb raider classic series (1-3, I personally didn't like revelation much)

- Super smash bros melee (it's still my personal favourite of the series)

- The classic sonic games on genesis

- Gex the gecko 3D games on ps1

I'm probably forgetting some others but those games I mentioned are games I played and are still fun.

Well yes and they're too many of them. I like games from the NES, SNES, GBC, GBA (My personal favourite), N64, DS and of course DOS. I grew up playing retro games such as Super Mario, Megaman, Metroid, Pokemon, Castlevania and more. I love retro games and I prefer them more than the newer ones

I regularly play custom content for Quake II and Quake. I really like the games from the late 1990s/early 2000s. Recently replayed Heavy Metal FAKK 2. Some time ago I started to play that Turok 2 remastering on Steam, but stopped after that confusing and ugly subterranean level with the Cyclopes.

Although I don't really have that much time to play games more often, I still do play a little bit of the old stuff I loved from time to time, like the MMX games until 5, or the build engine trio. And of course, doom.

I sure do. Crash Bandicoot, Quake, Unreal, Descent (sort of), Tekken 3 - to name just a few.

Quake ( PC / Multiplayer )

Time Pilot ( Arcade / C64 )

Falcon Patrol II ( C64 )

Impossible Mission ( C64 )

UFO / II ( PC )

Fallout / II ( PC )

I play a tonne of older games. I like arcade brawlers a lot, I got the Capcom beat em up bundle on the Switch and all of those games are really fun. 

I do play some older NES games on my Retropie, and also StarCraft, but there's one forgotten FPS game that I really like, and that is "Chasm: The Rift". It's such a work of art. It looked outdated even when it came out, but boy the game is atmospheric as hell! And I actually enjoy playing it.

If it is a so called "boomer shooter" then I have taken an interest to it, there is also a lot of PS1/PSX games I really like and still play (for instance Oddworld and Ridge Racer Type 4).

Hell, most the shit I play is over 15 years old now.

I like modern games as well as older games (or retro games made in their style). I used to have an MSX as a kid, enjoying games like Nemesis (or Gradius as it was known elsewhere), Penguin Adventure and Maze of Galious, the latter being a game I still play every now and then (and if you happen to like Maze of Galious and games like Symphony of the Night, La-Mulana is great).

Then there are 90's DOS Games. Doom is the one that's aged best and I'm once again playing actively. Then there's Commander Keen series I could still play, Build engine games and Quake I and II to a lesser extent. And 1987's Dungeon Master (and its sequel, Chaos Strikes Back) are also close to my heart, and now that I mention it, so is Lands of Lore (and Eye of the Beholder series, but to a lesser extent again). TIE Fighter is still the best (space) flight simulator I've enjoyed, although that might be such a case that I shouldn't play, and just enjoy my fond memories.

Not that I have anything against modern games. It's just that ever since the recent pandemics started, I have found it hard to play anything contemporary. It probably has nothing to do covid, but just that there's been other stuff I've been into, and Doom is the first and so far the only game I've been playing. I still hold some 2010s games in very high regards. Dark Souls and Prey (2017) come to mind. I guess the problem with modern games is the presupposition that they consume A LOT of time, whereas Doom I can boot up and play for 20 minutes if there just isn't more time at the moment.

Yes, I really love the original Crash Bandicoot series for the PSX (other than Crash Bash) and the first Spyro game. I also like Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars. Really good games!

8 hours ago, Mike Grueman said:

I'm a fan of the Atari 2600, MSX, C64, and Turbografx-16. 

6 hours ago, Wavy said:

I'm also a fan of the C64. I was able to obtain a C64 Maxi at the start of last year. Far more better and intuitive than using a C64 emulator.

My Father intodruced my to the C63 with about 2 years, i had no clue what i am doing, but he let me mess around in Games.
i tried so often to have fun with Ninja Turtles (that one that also exists on the NES), but it was sooo bad.
Even in Kindergarten Age, Kids now what bad Games are haha

One Game i had more or less Fun with was Tower of Terror:

Donald Ducks here was the best for me with 4 Years about:

My Father having a full Beard, being a overweight (not brutally) and being spanish, had really much Resemblance to the Title Screen of Mario Bros from Ocean haha:

300px-MarioBros(Ocean)Titelpic.png

He was no Plumber, but working with Iron and having samy Cloths was funny for me as a Youngling.

Going on with Ninja Turtles, i was a big Fan at the Time and that Age and Turtles in Time saved the Love for the Frenchise!
Still one of the best Beat em ups i have ever played, i am glad i still have my (messed up) Copy (don't judge a 4-5 Year old one).

I even prefer it to the Arcade Version, it seems more polished in some really small Gameplay Bits.

To be a bit more out of my personal Love to the Super Nintendo (i own nearly 100 Games), i bought a Mister early this Year and played Neo Geo Games.
I like nearly every non Fighting Game, as Shock Troopers, what a fun Game!
They where also for "free" on Amazon Prime with their Game Launcher.

Pulse Star is also pretty cool and Twinkle Star Sprites.

Btw. Super Mario World is maybe one of the most played Games in my Life besides Doom 1.

JRPGs, Metroidvanias, Zelda-likes and platformers when I actually had the time. Final Fantasy V, most Castlevania, and Actraiser are among my favorites.

11 hours ago, Mike Grueman said:

I'm a fan of the Atari 2600

Ooh, that is some fine taste!

I have a large Atari 2600 collection - probably about 230 cartridges...

Recent years i mostly play games based on Doom, Build and Quake engines. I also like Stalker series (do they count as retro games already?)