Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MagnuM

"1984"

You know the book by George Orwell. If you think about it, it could be possible considering if Bush likes playing Napoleon.

Hahahahahah what the hell

Napoleon is in ANIMAL FARM, not 1984. Do you even know what you're talking about? Anyway, Animal Farm is a satire of the events of the Russian Revolution and the rise of Stalinism, so you might as well say that George Bush is acting like Stalin.

Radford's 1984 film version of 1984 is one of the 5 best movies ever.
however, I think that is OT here. :)

since we're talking about animal farm anyway, there was a really good tv movie adaptation of the book a few years back ... it was really great except for the new ending

i liked charlotte's web

it was sad when the spider died

Linguica presents a point: If you're gonna cry Orwell, it helps if you've read Orwell.

One of the things about the 'Net is it makes Orwellian thought-control extremely difficult. When every news source is telling a different story, and you can freely access international sources for different takes, a patient person can find the truth in the sum of all bullshit.

Arioch said:

since we're talking about animal farm anyway, there was a really good tv movie adaptation of the book a few years back ... it was really great except for the new ending

Is that the bit where in the battle for the farm, the elves arrived to help fight off the enemy? I don't remember that happening in the book.

Animal Farm was one of the lamest books I've ever read. I don't care much for books with hidden meanings and allusions to other occurrences, i.e. Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, The Crucible. I despise all three of those books.

Cyb said:

i liked charlotte's web

it was sad when the spider died

True, but it was some pig. :)

Goat said:

Animal Farm was one of the lamest books I've ever read. I don't care much for books with hidden meanings and allusions to other occurrences, i.e. Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, The Crucible. I despise all three of those books.

Yeah, I mean, God forbid you have to THINK ABOUT THE MEANING, right? Wouldn't want you thinking, something bad may come of it.

i saw tom brokaw quoting george orwell on television a week or so ago. i thought that was great.

1984 is my all-time favorite book. I've reread it like 15 times aleady. However no, what Bush is doing does not indicate an "Orwellian" agenda. Napoleanic may be more correct, but not in such simple terms.

Ct_red_pants said:

I don't think so... I do see a Deus Ex kinda Future though...

yea thats wha im thinkin.

Linguica said:
Hahahahahah what the hell

Napoleon is in ANIMAL FARM, not 1984. Do you even know what you're talking about? Anyway, Animal Farm is a satire of the events of the Russian Revolution and the rise of Stalinism, so you might as well say that George Bush is acting like Stalin.

*cough* Um... are you sure he means Napoleon the pig or does he mean Napoleon the man? The statement could probably be taken either way.

At any rate, reading this has reminded me of all these great books that I haven't read in a while. I might have to go back and read some of them again.

Goat said:

A truly moronic statement. Well done.

Goat said:

Just out of curiosity, what books would you prefer instead? Im not trying to find a reason to make a stab at you or anything, I'd just like to know.

Goat said:

Curiously, I agree with you.

EllipsusD said:

*cough* Um... are you sure he means Napoleon the pig or does he mean Napoleon the man? The statement could probably be taken either way.

Because Napoleon the man has nothing to do with 1984 the book.

Alientank said:

I was born in 1984 :D

Word. 1984 is pretty much my lucky number. It was a great book to.

*1984 SPOILER*
I've been thinking about that book and I wonder if the whole Emmanuel Goldstein thing wasn't created by the government. I mean, he used to be a Party member. Thing is, the government could quite possibly control the entire world. Oceania, Eurasia, and East Asia could all just be sections of the same governemnt that they use to keep the people in order. I mean, as long as the people have an enemy, they will have something to be AGAINST and thus the opposite of that will be what they work FOR. Naturally, this would be the part of the govenment they live in (i.e. Oceania). The wars are just created by the government because otherwise the people would grow bored and start thinking more and overthrow the government. So as long as they have a war, its okay. Throw a few rocket-bombs into the cities every once in a while and have some parades to keep it real, and there you go. Instant loyalty.
*END SPOILER*

BB is watching you!

When you think about it, a lot has happened since Orwell wrote the book(1948) that supports the theory...
* England has become America's lapdog; Oceania's "Airstrip One".
* Europe is trying to unite itself and getting friendly with Russia, which may lead to a Eurasia-like supercontinent.
* China and Japan now live in peace; EastAsia.
* The monitoring of civilians with camera's has increases exponentially.
* Mass-propaganda is still policy today.
* Wars are being fought to divert attention from real issues (Afghanistan and gulf-war II).

Orwell couldn't not have known all this at the time.
Sure it's a stretch, but it's entertaining brainfood...

Goat said:

Hey now, LotF was a pretty ok book, The Crucible was pretty cool (sort of), and I don't think I ever got around to reading Animal Farm (sue me).