Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Senor Cacodemon

Doom Burnout?

Really quickly before this starts, I would like to state that when I say burnout I mean getting a bit bored and not wanting to do the thing that you have been doing for a while. Alright now that that's the way allow me to say what I've been wanting to say. Do you epic gamers ever experience Doom burnout. I know their have been people here since the 90's but do you guys get burnout and how do you take it. I'm only asking because me personally love doom but is feeling burnout and I wanna know how to take it in. So what do yall do when you experience Doom Burnout.

sometimes you have to step away and let yourself miss it.  i've tried the "push through burnout" thing and it's only resulted in misery. 

I experience it with other games a lot, and I try to avoid it happening with doom. When I play a wad I tend to try to only play that wad till I complete it which is bad for burnout so I've been trying to play other things at the same time or split my playthroughs in half and do the other half later. This becomes a problem when I reach a hard level and feel like I am losing progress in cracking it if I stop playing it or when I am speedrunning a map and get to the point where I'm putting hundreds of attempts cause I got a good time but feel like I could do better. At that those points I tend to try to do more things in between like listening to music or watching videos cause my need to do the 1 doom related thing without diversion is sure to give me burn out if I press it. Sometimes it becomes hard to avoid though.

Burnout is just a natural experience with almost anything. Doom has been around since I was in Elementary school, and will ALWAYS be my favorite game of all time, but there are certain times i want to play the main games, play user made levels, create my own levels...and plenty of time where none of that sounds terribly exciting to me. Don't feel bad to stop playing or go do something else, I'm sure you'll be back to it when you're ready.

10 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

If you are able, try going for walks outside. I find it's great for feelings like this.

Walking is the best

I play other games for awhile.  Honestly there is nothing wrong with that every game gets old eventually.  I lost interest in Doom and such for the most part for some months but have been warming up again.

If your getting burnt out don't push yourself to keep doing something you don't enjoy, its a good way to stop enjoying a hobby. Find something else to do that you enjoy for a bit, because doom isn't going anywhere. Plenty of us here take breaks.

If I get burnt out of playing doom then I'll play minecraft or halo for a while until I get bored of either of those and then play the other and by the time I've gone through all three I'll be ready to play doom again. I don't play many different games.

It's been a long time since I've gone more than a week or 2 of not involving myself in doom in some way shape or form. I only experience doom burnout within the realm of doom. What does that mean? If I get a little bored of playing doom, I switch to mapping for it. If I get bored of mapping, I switch to playing. I just go through periods of playing doom or mapping for doom, but I never really burnout on everything involving it. I don't really play other games except for some funny chess games with a friend

I posted this in another similar thread a while back, so I'll just copy paste it:

On 11/14/2021 at 7:13 PM, Kinsie said:

Take a break and do something else for enjoyment for a week or two. Go for long walks before the weather cools down further! Veg out on the couch in front of some sports or one of the many movie streaming services out there! Whittle down, if you're anything like me, the increasingly precarious tower of books assembled on your bedside table before it collapses on you in your sleep!

For myself, I have long considered it useless to play anything at all, as it gives me no creative satisfaction. So I either draw my own maps or test someone else's, when I have time to of course.

Happens to me from time to time. Just give yourself a break for a few weeks (or even months). If you see a mod or a megawad that looks extremely cool, jump right back in.

It helps that, compared to many games that require a significant investment of time and attention, Doom is so easy to just pick up and play in addition to not requiring too much of one's attention. As such, I can listen to podcasts while playing Doom mapsets.

Edited by Rudolph

33 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

It is not like, say, the Mass Effect trilogy, where you have to power through hours of extremely tedious gameplay only to achieve slightly different outcomes in a couple of scenes here and there...

Lol wot? Take your derailing elsewhere please.

1 hour ago, Liberation said:

Lol wot? Take your derailing elsewhere please.

Sorry. I did not mean to derail the topic. I was just using an example of a video game (series) that did burn me out.

I have edited that part out.

I usually play some total conversion mods for a break or download about 20 mapsets and make my way through them over a long period of time.

When I get bored with a game but still want to enjoy playing something I'll move between different titles. Start a new campaign in some RPG maybe; come back to Doom when I am ready for fast-paced shooter action again.

Games are supposed to be entertaining, right? So if a game is not being enjoyable for the moment, just do another thing that fills that gap. Come back when you feel it again. As simple as that.

I've always had my periods of 0 Doom and then downloading a couple of wads to play days and days. Just do what you want.

No, I don't experience DOOM burnout. I experience DOOM ignition that increases exponentially. If I play 1 WAD, I'll force myself to play 2 more, then 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. All in one day, too. Of course, with my skillset that only takes about 15 minutes.

Nah, playing any game for too long will have you feeling bored. There are other games out there, no matter how much you like DOOM. Playing a WAD that you don't feel like playing is doing a disservice to yourself and the WAD.

Been playing Doom1/2 at least once a week, (usually far FAR more than that) since probably 2001, when I was six... I was so obsessed in my younger years, that I even included a clumsy .gif of a cyberdemon walking in one of my school projects... embarrassing!

I tend to get very obsessed w/ things, I'm the kind of guy that will find a pokemon card on the sidewalk, and then think of nothing but getting more of them - I usually go all in on something - moderation is not typically in my vocabulary... So no, I personally do not get burnout - I get bored on occasion though, and will 'switch up' what kind of Doom activities I engage in - I might not play SP for a long time if I just beat a megaWAD, I might not map for a while if I find I'm having a hard time w/ something, etc. etc.

I just bought a nice new computer, yet I still *usually* only play Doom1/2 related stuff, guess things don't really change.

14 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I experience DOOM ignition that increases exponentially...

Pretty much this, haha

I will always be a hardcore Doom fan - but I have to take a few months “off” of mapping, modding and YT video making here and there.

This year I was in charge of the “MID the way id did” soundtrack replacement, Ray Mohawk 2, and was heavily involved with Bourgeois Deathmatch development as well. Also made a number of Doom YT videos over the past year.

I’m itching for a little break.. but if my history is anything to go by, after 4 to 8 weeks I’ll be back to Doom full-pelt. Just gotta take some time away from the slaughter here and there so it never feels like a chore :)

I've been away from speedrunning for the better part of the year, coming back to it here and there. It's healthy to have some time away from it. That's not to say I've quit playing entirely though. I'm still playing casually and enjoying GZDoom mods. Also started recording casual playthroughs of shovelware WADs from D!Zone and stuff like that.

I am totally burnt out on Doom, I legit almost can't recover, I just find myself uninterested in playing or mapping or hell even watching stuff about Doom at all at this point.

There however may be other things affecting that, I find myself unable to engage with most things nowadays, find myself tired 24/7 ect ect you've heard it a million times before.