Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neigh Winny

Doom 64: Ethereal Breakdown Discussion Thread

I've said this kind of unofficially, but I'll put it here to make it official: I'm down for at least one map. I can also assist with Remaster compatibility issues since I have some experience in that area.

Kinda feel like the title is a little wordy though.

I will be submitting a map for this as well and learning how to map for Doom 64! As I learn, I and the co-organizers are writing this guide to help others: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h7bbxzU1xEHg2gSbi_GDlV1VOqTQpzfecNon5Q_wv5w/

If you are familiar with Doom Builder, it's not much different, it just now has gradient lighting on by default. The guide above explains how to set it up and getting some macro scripting going as well. We're here to help, whether this is your first map (like me), or super experienced like @Ryath (aka scwiba)!

Here's a preview of a map I have been working on: https://youtu.be/WfnvHlNHSrM

Ill be releasing Reloaded at the same time so I'll not be submitting a map.
BUT... if anyone needs any help/advice Im willing to share my knowledge... for what its worth lol.

If we can submit maps already in progress, I might see about taking a slot. I can probably finish this map in 3 months.

29yrAUx.jpeg

13 hours ago, Neigh Winny said:

Ports: Doom 64 Remaster and Doom 64 EX

We chose these ports since they are the most accurate, official, and easily accessible ports.

Bro they're the only ports lmao

55 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Bro they're the only ports lmao

As opposed to the Retribution / CE adaptations, as they were under consideration too.

1 hour ago, Megalyth said:

If we can submit maps already in progress, I might see about taking a slot. I can probably finish this map in 3 months.

Indeed you can! It will be awesome to have your map!

15 hours ago, Neigh Winny said:

The progression will be episodic. At the end of each episode the player collects a Demon Key which will give them access to the next map. All maps will need a death exit to reset the player's stats, so every level will be pistol start. Make whatever kind of crazy stuff you can think of, literally go wild.

So no fully-powered Unmaker?

29 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

So no fully-powered Unmaker?

Not until the final map at least, because of how the remaster loses demon keys upon death. But the finale map should have it since the player will be entering it with 3 keys. We haven't decided yet on what the finale will be or who will map it!

1 hour ago, BlueThunder said:

I have no mapping experience at all,  but I have been wanting to give it a try.  I would like to give a map a go if I could.

You are more than welcome to! This is my first time as well!

8 hours ago, Megalyth said:

Go ahead, man! Anything is appreciated! :)

The storyplot is very similar to my idea of canceled "Fusion of Realities", but that means I like it.

Since the "Brain is the last Battlefield", I think I do have some ideas for a such map. Count me in.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, Neigh Winny said:

All maps will need a death exit to reset the player's stats

How do you do a death exit in Doom 64? Is it the same as Doom 2?

21 hours ago, Immorpher said:

As opposed to the Retribution / CE adaptations, as they were under consideration too.

Technically I guess he is right, those aren't ports. I don't know if DZDoom counts as a port or not.

27 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I am not sure if its the same as Doom 2, but you can do crushers or self-teleporation to kill the player and set up a script for a level exit. In particular @AtomicFrog and @Ryath (aka scwiba) have made them in Doom 64. Once I learn myself, I will update this document on how I do it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h7bbxzU1xEHg2gSbi_GDlV1VOqTQpzfecNon5Q_wv5w/

56 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Technically I guess he is right, those aren't ports. I don't know if DZDoom counts as a port or not.

{
Teleport_Stomp(1);
wait;
Teleport_ToDest(1);
Wait;
Exit;
}

You can also do it with an instant death crusher that lowers instantly.
However... if the player hammers the 'use' key it can cause the map to restart... instead of taking them to the next with no weapons.

23 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Ah that is true, though I always thought of those more as TCs than source ports.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

My understanding on what a 'port' is... is that its the original game ported to a different platform. And any differences are covered up to make it look and play as much as the original as possible. 
So that would indeed only cover Remaster and EX.
However I throw the term port about like a lot of people do. Id refer to Brutal Doom64 as a 'port' with extras lol.

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

As far as I know it's pretty much the same, I did it once a long time ago. You teleport the player to a room where he gets crushed or at least make him cross a macro that ends the level right after he's brutally murdered.

:P

16 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

The storyplot is very similar to my idea of canceled "Fusion of Realities", but that means I like it.

Since the "Brain is the last Battlefield", I think I do have some ideas for a such map. Count me in.

You know, the plot is actually inspired by your "Fusion of Realities"; so it's actually really cool that you decided to join in on the fun!

I'm excited to see what you have in store for this mapset

image.png.2b34ec9cfc4288fe946a950fd1c02718.png

Thanks to @jdagenet I have a more logical understanding how switches work in the remaster now. They behave slightly different than classic Doom and Doom 64 EX, but they work like how the original Doom 64 switches worked. Interestingly Doom Builder 64 does not show the original Doom 64 switches properly, so you have to test them in game to really see, but there is a logic to it. I have added my understanding to it in the WIP mapping guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h7bbxzU1xEHg2gSbi_GDlV1VOqTQpzfecNon5Q_wv5w/ 

Ok, you know, I've forgot why I've actually abandoned my previous D64 mod. Now I've remembered. Last 2 days I was just fighting with sourceports which randomly crashes while I was trying just to setup the test areas of my map. This is too much annoying for me, so I'm out, sorry. Hacking Doom 64 is tough shit and I hate it. Actually, I never was a good mapper, so this project don't lose anything important. Just telling this to not wait for me.

5 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

Ok, you know, I've forgot why I've actually abandoned my previous D64 mod. Now I've remembered. Last 2 days I was just fighting with sourceports which randomly crashes while I was trying just to setup the test areas of my map. This is too much annoying for me, so I'm out, sorry. Hacking Doom 64 is tough shit and I hate it. Actually, I never was a good mapper, so this project don't lose anything important. Just telling this to not wait for me.

If you change your mind, we'll still welcome a map before the deadline! Getting complicated with scripting can cause some funky problems for sure. I know scwiba might be able to help with that. Either way it is awesome to have the consideration of such a long time modder! :)

@Immorpher  I have been messing around with it in the evenings when I have time, been pretty fun so far. Learned how to make doors which can been confusing at least it was for me with my first,  wasn't sure about switches but your guide seems pretty easy to follow so I will have to try that next.