Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

Damn! I certainly didn't expect a horde mode to make its way into Quake.

Edited by Wavy

2 hours ago, Rexen² said:

Question, can PC users add custom crosshairs? Like say if I want a T shape one would I be able to add it?

Kind of. The crosshair is just a font character set in a cvar. You can change that cvar to any character.

I just checked Q64 in the PC version, and I'm also getting Reznor's music instead of Hodges'. If it helps, the Slipgate Complex is playing E1M2's music.

27 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I just checked Q64 in the PC version, and I'm also getting Reznor's music instead of Hodges'. If it helps, the Slipgate Complex is playing E1M2's music.

Yeah, I can confirm on the PC version it was doing that too at Slipgate Complex with the Quake 64 add-on, and E1M2 itself was playing the Reznor's introduction music for the game.

34 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I'm going to throw @sponge into a cactus.

Yeah it was inevitable if anything. Adding another mod broke Quake64's music playback. It's now being investigated.

Edited by Edward850

22 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Adding another mod broke Quake64's music playback. It's now being investigated.

This is not actually a feature request, but more of a technical question: is it possible for mods (and base game) to have their separate settings?

The update sounds amazing. Seriously cannot wait to give it a whirl.

Has there been any further tweaks to the thumbstick controls by any chance?

2 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

This is not actually a feature request, but more of a technical question: is it possible for mods (and base game) to have their separate settings?

Nope. Configuration is both user and system settings, the concept wouldn't make any sense on PC and we have no means to change that.

8 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

The update sounds amazing. Seriously cannot wait to give it a whirl.

Has there been any further tweaks to the thumbstick controls by any chance?

Auto aim should feel better now, which will probably help. If you're playing on the Switch the sliders work now, too.

13 minutes ago, sponge said:

Auto aim should feel better now, which will probably help. If you're playing on the Switch the sliders work now, too.

Just like with Eternal and 2016, I tend to play shooters less hitscan orientated without aim assist, as it hinders your prediction rockets etc.

Thanks for the quick response.

I've been meaning to ask, what's the closest available sourceport to Quake EX? I've heard FTE Quake is pretty close, but I don't entirely know what settings would be the closest apart from using the updated models.

16 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

I've been meaning to ask, what's the closest available sourceport to Quake EX? I've heard FTE Quake is pretty close, but I don't entirely know what settings would be the closest apart from using the updated models.

What about Quakespasm/Spiked or vkQuake? I remember the latter does support the updated models when I messed around with it using the remaster's data files.

1 minute ago, AmethystViper said:

What about Quakespasm/Spiked or vkQuake? I remember the latter does support the updated models when I messed around with it using the remaster's data files.

Quakespasm Spiked is what I've been using, but I'm not aware if it has the updated lighting or not. I might keep using it if I can't get FTE Quake the way I like it (and FTE also resets my desktop brightness, which is a bit of an inconvenience).

28 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

Quakespasm Spiked is what I've been using, but I'm not aware if it has the updated lighting or not. I might keep using it if I can't get FTE Quake the way I like it (and FTE also resets my desktop brightness, which is a bit of an inconvenience).

No other port has the shadow mapping. Not even Darkplaces (which uses stencil shadows, but even then I doubt has support for our light defs as of yet anyway).

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

No other port has the shadow mapping. Not even Darkplaces (which uses stencil shadows, but even then I doubt has support for our light defs as of yet anyway).

I see, I'll probably stick with Quakespasm Spiked then. Might be better to stick with it anyway, considering different modern lighting can impact performance on a laptop as low-end as mine.

I was watching the trailer they made for this update and something caught me off guard.

What is this music?
I dont think i have ever heard it before, at least not from quake.

Is this new offical music or is it just some stuff they made up for the vid.

3 minutes ago, Azuris said:

On Switch i had no Sound in Horde Mode, only Music.

I started horde mode on the Switch and had sound. I'll need more information on how to perform this issue.

15 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I started horde mode on the Switch and had sound. I'll need more information on how to perform this issue.

Edit 3

Ok, it is messy to trigger it and i can't reproduce it every Time.

But here the Steps (more or less) i did it four Times:

Activate Honey

Go to Multiplayer

Online Multiplayer

Match Browser

Go back to the Main Menu

Activate Honey again

Go to Multiplayer

Local Multiplayer - Start it

You should have Music but no Sound

Also no Sound in Singleplayer

It seems it has to be something by being in Honey, going online Multiplayer and changing back to Honey after it.

As it doesn't resets something properly.

Maybe it can be also triggered by changing to Quake 64, but i couldn't replicate it until now and maybe it was just a coincidence.

Will play around more and see if i can cause a 100% Way and not a 90% one :)

Edit 4

Yes, the way above works every Time, have done a Video if you want, will upload it later.

The classic Quake Background should stay without playing the Demo after you return from online Multiplayer, so it seems it doesn't reset proper to the standard Quake and than you reactivate Honey again over that State.

Edit 5:

So here is the Video, more or less at the one Minute Mark i got to trigger it in the Way described above, i am sure you can skip the click on the Match Browser.

I could not replicate it on the PC.

Sorry for the grainy Video, the Zoom on my Smartphone isn't the best :)
But it will do its Job.

Oh, and that Noice near the End is my Door Bell.

That Controller Check is really annoying on the Switch.

Edited by Azuris

I was able to replicate this bug without needing to activate Honey. So doing this also works:

• Go to Multiplayer

• Online Multiplayer

• Match Browser

• Go back to the Main Menu

• Go to Multiplayer

• Local Multiplayer - Start it

I'm guessing the bug occurs due to the grey Bethesda.net box that appears before the "Connecting to services" box when selecting online multiplayer.

That wouldn't be my first thought but weirder things have happened. The variable here seems to be the Switch controller applet, I'm wondering if opening that (which is a blocking operation) is causing some kind of issue with the audio thread that it's failing to recover from.

44 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The variable here seems to be the Switch controller applet, I'm wondering if opening that (which is a blocking operation) is causing some kind of issue with the audio thread that it's failing to recover from.

Yeah, that'd make more sense. But I'm no Switch developer (or a dev in general), so hopefully you and everyone else apart of Quake EX can fix this.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

That wouldn't be my first thought but weirder things have happened. The variable here seems to be the Switch controller applet, I'm wondering if opening that (which is a blocking operation) is causing some kind of issue with the audio thread that it's failing to recover from.

That was also my naive Thinking, that the Controller Pop Up interupts some Processes.

Maybe it is even a Bug in the Switch itself.

After starting the Switch yesterday after those Tryouts, i had absolutly no Sound on the Switch.

Going to standby and wakening it up again solved it.

Quake wasn't active when starting the Switch, so guess it was also not open when puting it into standby (was in a hurry after the Door Bell :) )

Will try if i can replicate even that.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, zzzornbringer said:

do you know this feeling? you have a rough idea and you just mess around a bit. and then you check it out ingame and immediately you feel, man, this looks way better than you could ever imagine. i mean, look at that. the rotation, the texture, how the light hits it. it looks like a texture that's meld with the wall. 

shot000.png.7b8fe4dabc236196a7e59274b34daf3b.png

I know that feeling alright.

Quake mapping can be absolute magic when all the stars align - regardless of whether you're putting together a Dark Souls vista of a windswept cliffside palace, or a rotting, half-sunk wooden shack - and you've articulated the "why" of it perfectly. I was actually a little giddy reading your post.

For such early times (I know this post comes months after) you seem to be doing everything right, and I hope to see more stuff from you.

2 hours ago, onetruepurple said:

For such early times (I know this post comes months after) you seem to be doing everything right, and I hope to see more stuff from you.

thanks. actually i completed a deathmatch map a couple months ago, but went to discord to post screenshots and stuff. i don't know if this works if you don't use discord, but here is the post and a couple of screenshots:

https://discord.com/channels/464531227509260291/888068648349102171/897909491574657024

download:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/888068648349102171/897909491331366993/reqdm1_1.7z

works with the re-release. bots work as well, but they're not the smartest.

shot042.png

shot043.png

shot046.png

6 minutes ago, zzzornbringer said:

works with the re-release. bots work as well, but they're not the smartest.

Did you make a nav mesh for them? They can't navigate at all without one.

52 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Did you make a nav mesh for them? They can't navigate at all without one.

yes, i did. in theory they should even be able to use the elevator, but they never do. it's been a while though and i made many iterations. also, anyone can enable cheats and modify the nav mesh to fix what i was not able to fix.