Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Senor Cacodemon

What graphic settings makes you pee'd off

What graphic setting make you angry of pee'd off, I'd say myself its got to be anti aliasing because the second I see pixels on the edge of a player model its going to 4x or 8x depending on the game.

Gzdoom texture filter post incoming.

One for me it's bad use of Bloom. It's look good on oblivion and as ultra light source in others game's.

The default GZDoom settings. It looked blurry.

I had to change them to make it more consistent with vanilla. It's not perfect, but it works for me. ...shrugs...

chromatic aberration and film grain, bleugh

tho just a little frustrated i have to turn them off every once in a while

Edited by sluggard

Why doesn't Half-Life give you the option to turn off texture filtering in the menus?! Valve, it's been 23 years! Nobody wants texture filtering in 90s games anymore.

31 minutes ago, OkDoomer174 said:

Why doesn't Half-Life give you the option to turn off texture filtering in the menus?! Valve, it's been 23 years! Nobody wants texture filtering in 90s games anymore.

Software rendering doesn't have it and GLQuake's texture filtering console commands still work, I believe.

And I'd argue Half Life's filtering looks pretty good, as the graphics were made with it in mind. It looks great at low resolutions.

Texture filtering. It just looks so blurry that it ruins the love that I have for Doom's crispy looking graphics. Glad that I can turn it off in the settings (why is it on by default again?)

Too much bloom is gross, like why does every damp piece of concrete have to gleam like the sun

Also fakey intentional pixelization for a contrived retro look is tacky and ugly 95% of the time 

Not a fan of actor-motion-blur, or whatever it's called

Y'know, like when a character moves and suddenly all the details on the model blur, but the shape of the model is intact?

I'm pretty sure Tekken 7 had it on by default, for example.

A lot of Ambient Occlusion settings look kind of tacky too.

Edited by Smouths

Everyone's saying it already, but yeah:  t r i l i n e a r  f i l t e r i n g

To bring a bit more positivity in: I love the effect of playing with a color palette and the classic gradient lighting that comes along with it.

5 hours ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

What graphic setting make you angry of pee'd off, I'd say myself its got to be anti aliasing because the second I see pixels on the edge of a player model its going to 4x or 8x depending on the game.

The whole point of AA is to reduce jagged edges. If you don't like jagged edges, why does AA "pee you off"?

Edge filtering, like hq2x or 2xSaI or what have you. People really hate seeing pixels so much that they'd rather see big nasty blobs that have no concern for whatever effect the artist was trying to evoke with the pixels, just "if there's a pixel opposite another pixel, make the interval smooth".

I also don't really like AI upscaling. It's sometimes better if the source material is reasonably high resolution, or if it's used as a basis for retouching, but I find that for low resolution pixel work (like Doom) it creates a more natural looking upscale that still doesn't really feel right to me.

6 hours ago, Crystal-Hawk_D00M said:

hdr/bloom.

I thought you said HDoom for a moment there. Could that count as a graphic setting that annoys people too BTW?

Motion blur, depth of field, and bloom, in that order. I absolutely can't stand any graphics filter/setting that obscures my view of the game. Motion blur has been around for quite awhile, as has bloom, and they've always irritated me; however the first time I noticed DOF was in Shadow Warrior 2. I could barely see enemies that were the equivalent of a hundred yards away, even while aiming down sights. That's not how this works in real life, if you're focusing on something, it becomes clearer and your surroundings get tuned out, regardless of distance. But of course a computer can't tell what your eyes are specifically trying to focus on, so it just sets a distance at which things appear blurry.

Turned it off, as well as motion blur and bloom, and enjoyed the game far more. But yes, I'm one of those people that always goes into the options when I first play a game and checks the video, sound, and control settings.

Others are situational, but I hate Motion Blur in any game I've played. It's just distracting and at times sickening. First thing I do when I play a game that has options one of the things i do is disable motion blur, all else is situational and whatever makes the thing run better cause I don't know what most of those things are anyways.

Yeah, gonna have to say texture filtering. It just looks ugly as shit in most cases.

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The whole point of AA is to reduce jagged edges. If you don't like jagged edges, why does AA "pee you off"?

Yeah I was gonna say, you must want anti-aliasing to be turned on, since that's what it does, it tries to smooth up the pixelation.

Yeah same, texture filtering.. makes things too blury.. though for some reason I liked it when 3dfx was around. ~ though at the same time it was probably on a CRT and perhaps looked better?