Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

Mars3D - Source port of the game 終極戰士 (Mars - The Ultimate Fighter)

1 hour ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

oh wow, what a surprize =)

xGreed can be switched to use 640x400 as resolution?

xGreed releases work only in the original 320x200 resolution. There are 2 branches in the repository with attempts to use 640x400 or 1280x800 resolution but I had some issues and they are still incomplete:

6 minutes ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

The boss when invisible at e1m7 in mars3d should be use underwater warping effect of background instead of fuzz

Thanks for reporting, I know the issue, but I don't know yet how to deal with it. I used the fuzz effect as a temporary solution to keep-on developing.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:48 PM, Redneckerz said:
  • Music isn't play when starting any of the episodes.
  • One of the weapons (The stickbomb) 's sprite appears unusually large, covering half of the screen. I am not sure if this was also in the original, but at the moment it literally blocks your crosshair, haha.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, Kinsie said:

Pretty impressive so far. Worth noting though that when using GLMars3D.exe and submerging myself in water, my view is completely covered with a flat aqua color.

Time for update to address some of the issues reported, and some others:

Here is version 1.0.3.740:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mars3d/files/Mars3D_1.0/Mars3D_1.0.3.740_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mars3d/files/Mars3D_1.0/Mars3D_1.0.3.740_src.zip/download

Changes:

• Fixed OpenGL underwater rendering reported by @Kinsie. I had noticed the problem in my NVidia GTX 1050, while in build-in Intel GPU was working fine.
  • For more flexibility to the above problem, I've added the "gl_underwater_pp" console variable, takes values 0, 1 & 2 (for default, safe and disabled underwater distortion effect in OpenGL). The safe method is (very) slow, but it is 99,99% working. All modes tested and working in GTX 1050 & Intel HD 630.
  • Fixed grenade launcher weapon sprite as reported by @Redneckerz, also the "fire" sequence has been smoothed compared to the original game.
  • Fog strength in OpenGL can be configured individually for normal rendering, underwater rendering and white fog sectors. (Menu/Options/OpenGL/Fog)
  • Fixed problem with the boomerang disk projectile, now it does not dissapear after hit ceilings.
  • Fixed problem with the flying drone, now it falls to ground when destroyed. I had forgot to unset the MF_NOGRAVITY flag in death sequence.
  • The extra Episode 2 & 3 maps now have music, as reported by @Redneckerz It will reuse music from the first episode, since no more (appropriate) music tracks are available in game data.
  • Fixed raise state sprite sequence for floor turret drone (MT_DEFENDER). It was using the wrong sprite
  • Hint messages now work. Unreachable hint without proper translation in E1M4 set to invisible and disabled. In addition the hint messages are not solid, in order not to disturb the gameplay. I've also made them transparent.

Screenshot of working OpenGL underwater effect in NVidia GPU.

Spoiler

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211205-100458400.png

Screenshot of the new Fog menu in OpenGL:

Spoiler

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211205-100519538.png

Screenshot of corrected position of the Grenade launcher:

Spoiler

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211205-141224925.png

8 hours ago, jval said:

Actually there is a working source port around:

Would it make sense if (I assume they share the same DelphiDoom core) to bring the improvements to the software/GL renderer over to XGreed???

Hi!

Force Aspect Ratio: Auto doesn't work correctly. To avoid stretching, Force Aspect Ratio must be set manually to 16:9 in 1080p.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, jval said:

Oh, you a re great, so many soft you have created for doom and doom-type games, now i will start my experience in... "RM3DVOX"(Renaissance Mars3D VOX), may be?? or "RDMVOX", "RMDVOX" (Rennaisance Delphy Mars VOX)? are there any other sourceports for this game?

Interesting game. Anyone know the story behind the engine? Is it actually Doom based?

30 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Interesting game. Anyone know the story behind the engine? Is it actually Doom based?

No, IIRC it's an original engine that used Doom modding formats to save time (ie. not having to write their own tools), similar to Amulets & Armor.

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Would it make sense if (I assume they share the same DelphiDoom core) to bring the improvements to the software/GL renderer over to XGreed??? 

No they do not share the same engine core, XGreed is based on the original source code of Raven, it's closer to Wolf3D, it has nothing to do with the Doom Engine.

10 hours ago, Kityn said:

Hi!

Force Aspect Ratio: Auto doesn't work correctly. To avoid stretching, Force Aspect Ratio must be set manually to 16:9 in 1080p. 

In my system at 1920x1080 resolution the "AUTO" aspect ratio matches the 16:9, here are 2 screenshots with "AUTO" and 16:9:

Spoiler

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211206-111713915.png

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211206-111717650.png

9 hours ago, GRAU said:

Oh, you a re great, so many soft you have created for doom and doom-type games, now i will start my experience in... "RM3DVOX"(Renaissance Mars3D VOX), may be?? or "RDMVOX", "RMDVOX" (Rennaisance Delphy Mars VOX)? are there any other sourceports for this game? 

Currently there are not other source ports (or total conversions) for Mars. But... during developing Mars3D, I 've found all the line & sector specials that the game uses, as well as all the editor numbers for enemies & static objects. All of these can be found inside the DoomBuilder config file (look at the first post). Also, the enemy logic is scripted in ACTORDEF, and all the scripts are inside Mars3D.pk3 file.

So, let's see what we have:

• All line and sector specials
  • All enemy and static object numbers (with their sprites)
  • Enemy scripting (in ACTORDEF, which is similar to DECORATE)
  • The English translated version of MARS.MAD file is already in WAD format (only the extension differs)

So, I assume it won't be so difficult to port the game to other advanced engines which support portals (for the underwater dive), Heretic/Hexen style flying (for jet pack) and DECORATE (GZDoom, K8Vavoom, Eternity). I don't know if there is support for FLC and Deluxe Paint animation video playback, or XMI music support to directly address the original data.

51 minutes ago, Kityn said:

Auto vs 16:19

What is the maximum screen resolution supported by your monitor?

5 minutes ago, Kityn said:

1920x1080 (16:9) and 1600:1200 (4:3). 

Thanks, that explains the different behavior. Since the 1600x1200 has bigger height than 1920x1080 (1200>1080), the engine uses the 1600x1200 resolution (the higher height) to "guess" your monitor aspect ratio and behaves like you have a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor.

2 hours ago, Kityn said:

1920x1080 (16:9) and 1600:1200 (4:3).

Such a strange combination! What resolution actually has the monitor display matrix? does it really has 1200 dots in height or this is a virtual resoluton that is actually rendered on 1080p height? can you print the model of your monitor? just the hardware interest)))

6 hours ago, jval said:

Currently there are not other source ports (or total conversions) for Mars. But... during developing Mars3D, I 've found all the line & sector specials...

Actually - is Your sourceport name is "Mars 3D"? I am talking just about the name of the port, so i could name my voxelpack optimally, matching some of first letters from port name. Didn't you think about the "DelphiMars" name?

1 hour ago, GRAU said:

Such a strange combination! What resolution actually has the monitor display matrix? does it really has 1200 dots in height or this is a virtual resoluton that is actually rendered on 1080p height? can you print the model of your monitor? just the hardware interest)))

Actually - is Your sourceport name is "Mars 3D"? I am talking just about the name of the port, so i could name my voxelpack optimally, matching some of first letters from port name. Didn't you think about the "DelphiMars" name?

It's "Mars3D", without blank space between "Mars" and "3D".

22 hours ago, GRAU said:

iiyama G-Master G2530HSU Black Hawk

It's a virtual resolution but this monitor does support it out of the box (no drivers needed). Only 60 Hz, though.

p.s. offtopic, i like to extend my previous post, with this:

ShadowCaster:

i have shadowcaster floppy version for PC-98 , maybe it can be helpful too, because there is tries to disassembly PC version, ,aybe pc-98 can be dissasembled ?

i have demo it contains exclusive level,

i have floppy version

i have cdrom version

i still searching pc-98 cd-rom version.

all resources is extracted http://raven-05.narod.ru/ inclding pc-98 music 

the engine is called raven-engine you already familiar with that by in pursuit of greed source porting .

the partial shadowcaster source files can be found in rise of the triad source code.

the engine itself something between wolfenstein 3d and doom .

Slade doom editor support shadowcaster files.

map format is closer to wolf3d rather than to doom.

both wolf3d and doom, and raven-engine, and rott , and in pursuit of greed has source codes.

CyClones is on its own engine called steam, its raven in house engine, i think it rewritten engine from scrath, and it may have much more similarities to shadowcaster

i have: demo1 (exclusive level 1), demo2 (exclusive level2), floppy version, cd-rom version. all resouces from game.

Necrodome

i have: demo (2 versions 0.36 , 0.40), cd-rom (2 versions 1.0 and 1.0e later seems different that doesnot have TEN multiplayer option)

all resources , and my custom hex-edited version, that fixes mouse , because mouse didn't work in modern OS, also other fixes here.

the engine is called Vampire Engine and again its own ravenSoft engine, in theory can be heavy modified steam engine from cyclones game (the map geometries tells by its own that it very similar to what you see in cyclones), other games is Take no Prisoners and MageSlayer which is very good bu its own even more goodier when use dgVoodoo + ReShade, i think these 2 not needed a port =)

Edited by WhiteMagicRaven

The player in this port jumps lower than in the original, because of this it is impossible to get the red key on E1M2

1 hour ago, Kenon said:

The player in this port jumps lower than in the original, because of this it is impossible to get the red key on E1M2

Thanks you for that, fixed in 1.0.4.741:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mars3d/files/Mars3D_1.0/Mars3D_1.0.4.741_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mars3d/files/Mars3D_1.0/Mars3D_1.0.4.741_src.zip/download

What's new:

• The player can jump higher. This fixes the problem reported by @Kenon
  • The player can step-up higher (32 pt instead of 24).
  • Fixed problem with the "use_white_fog" console variable in OpenGL mode.
  • Default value for "use_fog" console variable set to true.

4 minutes ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

crosshair can't be tuned off

Thanks! It's a mismatch in the menu commands, instead of the crosshair, it turns on/off the fps counter display. You can still disable it by the "drawcrosshair" in the console: Press "~" to bring down the console and type "drawcrosshair false" and the press ENTER.

cross4.png

On 12/9/2021 at 8:05 PM, WhiteMagicRaven said:

crosshair can't be tuned off

Fixed, you can download here!

13 hours ago, Kityn said:

Spamming the Use key with a keycard: https://imgur.com/p5tpmdW

Thank you so much for this! Fixed in 1.0.6.743

The fix may not work when loading a saved gamed from previous release. (if it is saved during the keycard sequence)

Also changed the behavior of line special "136 - SR Door (Gold) Open stay (fast)". It will be xlated to special "137 - S1 Door (Gold) Open stay (fast)" when loaded from MAD file. The line special 136 to 137 fix will not work when loading a saved game from previous version. Line special 136 is still available for modding.

Edited by jval

Ep. 1 Boss:

- does not shoot "green balls"
- "blue balls" does not hurt the player
- there's no health bar

Also player's missiles are not homing and the ending movie does not play (black screen).

Compare wtih the DOS version: https://youtu.be/iUL7GMiTwWo?t=596

23 hours ago, Kityn said:

Ep. 1 Boss:

- does not shoot "green balls"
- "blue balls" does not hurt the player
- there's no health bar

Also player's missiles are not homing

All issues fixed in 1.0.7.744, thank you so much for mentioning them!

Fixes/Changes:

• The boss now will also shoot green (freeze) balls
  • Blue (shock) missiles now hurt player
  • Boss's health bar is displayed in HUD.
  • Bouncing missiles now bounce correctly in lower and higher textures.

Please note that the addition of the boss freeze ball may make lead to problems or even crashing when loading previous version saves.

and the ending movie does not play (black screen).

Please make sure that the ENDOVER.FLC file is located in the same or upper directory of MARS.MAD file.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

SSHOT-Mars3-D-20211225-203653452.png

Edited by jval

Thank you for the quick fix!

Further discoveries:

- when the exit button is pressed the intermission screen will show a previously closed menu as the background:

Spoiler

M3DEnd.png.d18a1a74e1d088ebcdcf7e75e4db1b91.png

- barrels cannot be destroyed by green balls. Is it a bug or a feature?

- when the exit button is pressed the intermission screen will show a previously closed menu as the background:

Thank you, fixed! The problem appeared only in OpenGL version.

- barrels cannot be destroyed by green balls. Is it a bug or a feature?

The barrels can not be destroyed by the green (freeze) missile balls intentionally. It's the behavior of the original game.

I've also noticed that in the original game the barrels can not be destroyed by flame gun, shock gun and disks, too. So I've made the appropriate changes.