Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GodKreytr

Why is the new doom community so unfunny?

i was on a  discord server about doom, and they were super annoying, offensive and more (e.g transphobic, homophobic, anti-lgbtq, anti furries and what not)

they're also super annoying to deal with, some of them are just so immature to the point where they were probably children, which is highly likely.

anyhow, this is godkre signing out.

Encountering blind and stupid hate is something that happens when you spend enough time in most fandoms it seems.Unfortunately, there are some servers where riffraff congregate for varying reasons that can include complete permissiveness or else they're sort of advertised for their opposition to the mainstream doom community, a la Doomer Boards. There are plenty of other communities that don't tolerate the toxicity you're describing though.

Yeah, this just sounds like you stumbled into a server that's full of shitty people. There's plenty of other Doom-based servers out their that aren't full of garbage.

Often I see people saying the Doom community "has two jokes" or something to that capacity. What they'll be referring to is stuff like "thə l0nger teh icoom if sin is on marz ythe strinee it beecomes" or "game joornalis duficulty be licke no enimies an infinite hellth and amo" and the like. I always feel the urge to say that's only a portion of the modern Doom community and not the entire franchise's community as a whole but really what good would it do. Most of the time when I see this it's on Twitter anyways.

1 minute ago, Spineapple tea said:

What they'll be referring to is stuff like "thə l0nger teh icoom if sin is on marz ythe strinee it beecomes" or "game joornalis duficulty be licke no enimies an infinite hellth and amo"

You missed "Haha funny demon killer man leik cute pupper doggo haha rip and tear"

Because they're kids with internet access, most of the time kids with internet access aren't funny. I know I definitely was no exception, though more on the side of awkward jokes than just straight out being an edgelord.

15 hours ago, GodKreytr said:

they're also super annoying to deal with, some of them are just so immature to the point where they were probably children

They are, and that was also the reason why I stopped using Discord. I was on a lot of servers that sadly turned out to be disgustingly racist and really just was a bigger kindergarten for teenagers (As most of them were 14-ish at that time).

Just sad.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Unmoderated servers become a feedback loop of shittyness as anyone attempting to be productive gives up and leaves.

I could not have said it better myself. When you own a Discord server, it becomes YOUR responsibility to make sure people behave.

Can tell from experience that a lot of Doomers are very friendly, chill and open-minded people. Most members are also pretty LGBTQ-supportive (save for a few, but cares about those tbh). A few bad bananas shouldn't spoil the bunch, would encourage to not sign out just yet . w-

Sounds like you just found a bunch of shitty people. Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

Also try not to judge entire communities from a single discord server. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Unmoderated servers become a feedback loop of shittyness as anyone attempting to be productive gives up and leaves. This is universal and not at all unique to Doom.

*cough* REDDIT *cough*

it's not really just the new doom community, id say its mostly le dank memer kids xP

"*when the doom eternal music kicks in*

dudee doom is eternal XD

brootal hdoom O_o"

when i was younger i did my fair share of unfunny terrible jokes to sound cool and edgy that i now dread.

Yeah, this sounds like the GamerBro (TM) side of Discord/Doom which does not in fact represent most of the Doom community, or even the NuDoom community. There's annoying factions, sure, but as everyone has pointed out, this isn't representative of the whole community and isn't relegated to Doom, or even gaming. 

"Wait a second, what do you mean my 2 jokes about game journalists and the icon of sin aren't funny after 2 years of constant repetition" Well at least they got 2 more jokes, because they used to only have 1 joke.  Generally most of these communities came into existence after New doom became a pawn in the culture war because people needed a reason to harass journalists beyond girl make game about depression.  I doubt that most of them are actually good at the game let alone like doom.  

What I still do not understand is how people can call themselves Doom fans when quite a few openly trans persons have been helping shape the community and even the games. Like, it cannot be like having to overlook the fact that the person who made the games you love (e.g. Doug TenNapel) just so happens to have terrible opinions, right?

I was a newcomer and got trolled really harshly on ZDoom forums back in 1999 or so, for suggesting to correct a typo in their forum description. Never came back there since then. Some things are just what they are, not necessarily because their are anti-something. I'd even go as far as saying being labelled as anti-LGBTQ is the least of their problems.

Hate is universal and not Doom oriented, unmodded discord servers leave the gates open for opinions that should be kept indoors in respect of other people's opinions that can be threaded by the first ones. 

Just now, Vic said:

I was a newcomer and got trolled really harshly on ZDoom forums back in 1999 or so

This is about where I'll stop you- to be quite fair I don't really go onto the ZDoom forums but I'm sure that they're no longer having the same issues they had back then, judging by their Discord. AFAIK some of the moderation is LGBTQ and their Discord icon has been rainbow far and away past pride month (I'm assuming your last sentence is still referring to ZDoom forums, if not, apologies). the 90's were a way different beast and while it doesn't make what happened to you right, it's probably not a great indicator of how they operate now. I imagine Doomworld may have had some less than optimal threads and trolling back in that as well, as said before about new Doom, it's a product of the greater internet and the time period in which it operates. 

At this stage of my life I couldn't care less about ZDoom forums, but I wish them all the best nonetheless.

The point I'm trying to drive across is that certain places are _unfriendly_ in general and susceptible to the circle jerking effect, be it due to the lack of moderation or because moderators themselves are part of the circle. There's always going to be something they don't like about you: your gender, race, the fact that you like your grammar or something else. The best you can do to your mental health is staying away.

Oh crap, I misread the title: I thought we were talking about the Doom community as a whole, not just the Doom 2016/Eternal one.

Well, I suppose my point still stands, as Doom would not be where it is today without the contributions of so many trans persons.

8 minutes ago, Vic said:

At this stage of my life I couldn't care less about ZDoom forums, but I wish them all the best nonetheless.

The point I'm trying to drive across is that certain places are _unfriendly_ in general and susceptible to the circle jerking effect, be it due to the lack of moderation or because moderators themselves are part of the circle. There's always going to be something they don't like about you: your gender, race, the fact that you like your grammar or something else. The best you can do to your mental health is staying away.

Good thing there are a far greater quantity of friendly places than not c: