Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Community Project] Thirty Monsters Challenge [See you in the other thread!]

4 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Just few more questions: Can i add custom music (i will include it into map's wad file) and can i choose custom sky from used resource pack?

Can't see why custom music wouldn't be allowed at the very least.

@LGmaire: Nice map, feels like a very condensed version of a regular map. A few specific comments:

• I didn't like the see-through walls in the last fight. At a distance you can't see anything behind them so in my first playthrough I couldn't tell that there were still chaingunners remaining, or where the arachnotrons were (until they shot and killed me). I don't know how much the translucency depends on graphics settings. I'm pretty sure I'm using the dsda-doom defaults.
  • Pretty minor, but I never noticed the yellow key on top of the crates because there's nothing drawing your eyes up there. So when I teleported onto it I didn't even realize I picked up a key, and after the archvile fight I went "Where do I go now? Oh, I got a key somewhere".

Woke up and wow, I didn't expect to have a full-megawad-and-then-some worth of mappers in so little time. Turns out Noise's plan worked after all!

...I'm not giving it back :p

Guess it's time for a little update. I'm not a man of a lot of words so I'll make it quick:

a) I updated the OP with info about naming your files. People who already submitted maps don't have to rename them, it's just to make it easier for me when we get multiple submissions.

b) First deadline is March 21st, beginning of spring. I know this is far away, so expect me to keep tabs on all of you often, just to make sure you haven't forgotten, that everything is fine in real life, so on. I won't do it often this holiday season (enjoy them!), but I will pick up the pace this January.

c) Speaking of these last two points, it's perfectly okay to submit multiple maps, as long as they are of good quality and come out before the deadline.

d) And it's perfectly fine to ask for help on how to make your maps the best they can be.

e) Of course new music is allowed. Why wouldn't it be? 🤔

f) After thinking about it, this thread will be our main base of operations - I want a good trace of our work that Discord isn't really adequate for.

I'll do a first check next weekend, save for those who already submitted and those who already told me they wouldn't be able to do much before January. Until then, I hope to see what y'all can do!

Got my map done over a few hours this afternoon. Not entirely happy with the name of the level, so I may change it if I come up with something better.

Map Name: Overgrown Fortress

Author: finnks13

Theme: An overgrown black marble castle, set into a hill.

Music: Path of Destruction by Mark Klem

Difficulty Settings: Partially Implemented (will explain in notes)

Ports Tested: dsda-doom v0.21

Description: A very small map inspired by Swift Death, has a very hectic opening though it shouldn't be too challenging once you've gotten on top of things.

Notes: Tried to make sure there's enough ammo to complete the map pretty comfortably in the way I've intended, though I do tend to be a bit stingy but I didn't want to add any more for this first version. Only differences in difficulty settings at the moment is that the green armour is replaced with a blue armour, and the medikit on the pillar is replaced with a soulsphere on HMP and HNTR - there are no enemy changes. Since the megawad is being split into episodes, I reckon this would probably work best as an early map in a later episode.

Download: 30mc_finnks13_v2.zip (EDIT:15/12 - Updated the link to v2)

30.png.4653305cc7caa862e6e6ff25c662957f.png

Edited by finnks13 : Updated download link to v2

On 12/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, SCF said:

@LGmaire: Nice map, feels like a very condensed version of a regular map. A few specific comments:

• I didn't like the see-through walls in the last fight. At a distance you can't see anything behind them so in my first playthrough I couldn't tell that there were still chaingunners remaining, or where the arachnotrons were (until they shot and killed me). I don't know how much the translucency depends on graphics settings. I'm pretty sure I'm using the dsda-doom defaults.
  • Pretty minor, but I never noticed the yellow key on top of the crates because there's nothing drawing your eyes up there. So when I teleported onto it I didn't even realize I picked up a key, and after the archvile fight I went "Where do I go now? Oh, I got a key somewhere".

Happy to hear that you enjoyed the map, I do agree with your point about the yellow key, I'll try to move it somewhere else so the player can see it better.

For your point about the see through walls in the last fight, the ones where you can't see the arachnotrons are intentional, so you have to move around both in that room and outside where the arachnotrons are. But I didn't consider that you wouldn't be able to see the chaingunners well, may gonna have to remove those since they were put there for decoration, and I even tried to make them move visible before, I'll try again and see how it goes!

Thank you for the feedback! :)

On 12/12/2021 at 7:07 AM, Biodegradable said:

@LGmaire Simple, but rather vicious at points. This little map has some teeth! It's intriguing and good fun. Really nice texture and detailing work too.

Thank you very much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it yourself.

Also I edited my post with the .zip file because I updated the map thanks to the feedback I got.

30mc_LGmaire

Edited by LGmaire

How to prevent player to use S1 line even thru solid sectors, represented in a way of small wall (this is floor, that upper than button), that hides it?
I do not want to player use cheesy methods to beat my map...
P.S.: Nevermind. Just restructured map on these POIs...

Edited by RastaManGames

6 hours ago, dac said:

c) Speaking of these last two points, it's perfectly okay to submit multiple maps, as long as they are of good quality and come out before the deadline.

I think I may do feel like making another map or two. I don't have that much to do.

@finnks13: Damn, that map was really mean. You're being assaulted from so many angles at the beginning, having to dodge the pits, hide from the archvile (with very limited ways of doing that), and take out the hitscans all while dealing with the roaming enemies.

Some feedback:

- The water pit in one of the corners isn't damaging, so it's a softlock if you fall down there

- The pop-up shotgunner on the stairs doesn't fit very well. If you run up quickly he'll appear behind you, so I was getting confused at how there was an enemy I missed and kept dying to him. There's already so much else to pay attention to.

- The archvile can attack you at the chaingun spot even though you can't see him, because the pillar is barely low enough. I don't know if that's intentional, but it was pretty annoying

- I have no idea how you're supposed to do the final fight properly. I found that if you hide in the corner (where the shell box is), the enemies generally can't hit you at all, so you can chaingun the revenant that teleports in front of you and then take out the rest slowly. But that's not a very interesting way of doing it.

Edited by SCF

47 minutes ago, SCF said:

@finnks13: Damn, that map was really mean. You're being assaulted from so many angles at the beginning, having to dodge the pits, hide from the archvile (with very limited ways of doing that), and take out the hitscans all while dealing with the roames enemies.

Some feedback:

- The water pit in one of the corners isn't damaging, so it's a softlock if you fall down there

- The pop-up shotgunner on the stairs doesn't fit very well. If you run up quickly he'll appear behind you, so I was getting confused at how there was an enemy I missed and kept dying to him. There's already so much else to pay attention to.

- The archvile can attack you at the chaingun spot even though you can't see him, because the pillar is barely low enough. I don't know if that's intentional, but it was pretty annoying

- I have no idea how you're supposed to do the final fight properly. I found that if you hide in the corner (where the shell box is), the enemies generally can't hit you at all, so you can chaingun the revenant that teleports in front of you and then take out the rest slowly. But that's not a very interesting way of doing it.

Thanks for playing my map, and the feedback! Definitely could change the shotgunner - it's a bit of a remnant from when the map contained much more of that, but I could change it to a pinkie maybe. The archvile attacking you in the chaingun cubby is intentional, because I didn't want the player to use that specific corner for cover (it could be unnecessary though, I'll do some more testing to see if that corner becomes OP). I'll fix that softlock you mentioned, dunno how I managed to overlook it.

For the final fight, the best strategy I've found is to jump back to the main area and take out the revenants with rockets while on the staircase, using the pillar and parts of the castle wall as cover from the archvile. The mancubus and hell knight normally start infighting if you do this and once they're all dead, clearing out the rest of the enemies isn't too hard - though that corner strategy sounds interesting and I'll have a look into it. That being said, I may also end up altering the final fight because I'm not 100% happy with it.

17 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

The archvile attacking you in the chaingun cubby is intentional, because I didn't want the player to use that specific corner for cover (it could be unnecessary though, I'll do some more testing to see if that corner becomes OP).

FWIW, that's the first strategy I tried, and it didn't work for me because the hell knight, caco and imps can all hit you from above your view. So it's probably not too strong even without the archvile attacks, but I also gave up on it pretty quickly.

I've started my map. Probably be a week or two until its playable.

Spoiler

doom03.png.add7c9bef765facc608baaf5698efaa6.png

doom04.png.1592cdd9a57b94def609eb102738c0ac.png

Map Name: Trapped In Remnants.

Author: RastaManGames.

Theme: Ruined base buildings on the floating piece of outside area with marble demon teleporters.

Music: Lee Jackson - Gotham.

Difficulty Settings: Implemented (i tried to make each walkthrough different).

Ports Tested: "DSDA-Doom" (all works fine), "GZDoom" (there is no problems too) and "Crispy Doom" (sad, but it's crashing immediately after attempting to start on this map).

Description: This map was heavily inspired by "Strange Aeons" PC. It's a pieces of natural environment floating in void, that was teared apart. There is also few ruined buildings and demonic portals, that gonna send enemy reinforcements straight into the battlefield.

Notes: If it possible, I'd like to see a "SKYHX1C" sky on my map. Also that was pain in the butt to align natural textures. After all, please, forgive me for texture mess. It was my first experience with custom texture pack. I never touched even "OTex.wad" neither "CC4-Tex.wad"...

(File was removed to resolve some space on my DW account...)

Edited by RastaManGames

30mcORI.zip

Map Name : Caco By Caco (map order not relevant)

Author : Origamyde

Theme : Egyptian (Misri Halek without pyramids)

Music : Camel by Camel - Sandy Morton

Difficulty Settings : Fully Implemented

Ports Tested : DSDA-Doom / GZDoom

Description : "Doomguy goes to Egypt for the holyday. Chaos ensues, and he is now forced to battle against an onslaught of thirty fierce demons. To think he just wanted to visit the Valley of the Kings once in his life..."

Notes : There are much more cacodemons on the Ultra-Violence difficulty setting, hence the name of this map.

261381349_2021-12-1316_17_05-30mcORI.wad(MAP01)-UltimateDoomBuilderR3863(64-bit).png.b43c31454d0fcb73a4c867fa84a2a458.png245919445_2021-12-1316_15_18-30mcORI.wad(MAP01)-UltimateDoomBuilderR3863(64-bit).png.1da5f2417d41da627676fdbf3bbac168.png1750854587_2021-12-1316_17_35-30mcORI.wad(MAP01)-UltimateDoomBuilderR3863(64-bit).png.8c7c563ee700fd5a5b4b043b98566668.png

Is there still open space?.. Because that sure went places since I last looked when there were 7 sign-ups.

30mcalexsa2015sa.zip

Map Name: Spider Testament

Author: Alexsa2015sa

Theme: Ancient temple ruin with several disjointed wings.

Music: -, I no music, I too deaf

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: PrBoom+, DSDA-Doom, GZDoom, ZDoom

Description: A three-key hub map. Population mostly high-tiers, but no cyber, mastermind or barons.

Notes: The level is both on large side (some of it is probably spiders) yet over 25% of level is literal empty space; I more or less speedmapped the hubspoke layout and it sprawled from there, until I ran out of steam.
a) Theming is shot to Doom Hell; if I spend time I can do better, but in a pinch I always get a mess. At least you cannot get lost for now?
b) Difficulty is very uneven. It needs lots of cutting the unused space and gluing things tighter probably to improve things, but I need a break and there's like, 4 months anyways? The final fight is not too much hard, probably. I think. As UV -fast player who dies every other minute and does not mind saves. So uh, take that with a grain of salt, but UV should not run out of ammo here normally.
c) Techbase part is worst in my own view since even -fast it can be done with no damage, in entirety, easily. Turrets don't have sight of important points and even then roaming monsters bodyblocking you infight easily.

d) A screenshot, I guess, of the only really detailed part of the map:

Spoiler

screen_1312.png.27f093e54546932df9d9cb321df00ffc.png

21 minutes ago, alexsa2015sa said:

Is there still open space?.. Because that sure went places since I last looked when there were 7 sign-ups.

We have as much space as we want, although at this point it's best to do what you did and come in with a map. If you want to make more then there's still space!

Map Name: Misjudging the King

Author: Bloodbath Giraffe

Theme: Green techbase

Music: You Ain't The Boss O' Me - Jimmy

Difficulty Settings : Implemented

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom, Prboom+ and GZdoom

Description: Green Techbase with fast pace action and lots of cool lighting effects. Play time is about 3 minutes

Notes: Made this map in about 3 hours and had a blast using boom format for the first time. You will need to warp to map 25 to play the map

30mc_BloodbathGiraffe.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20211213_144615.png

Edited by Bloodbath Giraffe : spelling

Map Name: Blueberry Castle
Author: DynamiteKaitorn
Theme: Castle
Music: Hearts of Fire (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow)
Difficulty Settings: Yes. Lower difficulties contain weaker enemies in different areas.
Ports Tested: DSDA + WooF 7
Description: Blueberry castle is a tasty little brick building that used to be home to Lord Apricot before his untimely demise.

Now the demons of hell are using it as a holding base.
Notes: In general, this shouldn't be too hard to finish. Also, expect some MBF trickery. ;)

Screenshots! (links to postimg since it doesn't use up my attachment limit)

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jile13vnslmbhuj/30mc_Dynamite_36_v1.wad/file

30mc_lokbustam.zip (has no difference between Crate_Processing.zip, promise)

Map Name: Crate Processing

Author: lokbustam257

Theme: Techbase

Music: Bobby Prince - "The Healer Stalks" (aka MAP02 music)

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Ports Tested: LZDoom 3.88a, Eternity Engine 4.02 Forseti, DSDA-Doom 0.21.3

Description: Just a small little techbase map. Nothing spectacular. Pretty easy even in UV.

Notes: guys, I'm very sorry to say, that this map was actually Boom-compatible- In my opinion, the default sky fit the map quite well. Oh and please enable your transluency. If UMAPINFO has an option to force enable it, then maybe we should just put that in.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211214_175140.png.01d327700e92f9416ac30f3d9ce84778.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211214_175220.png.d3d4e4b605616f088a9446dcfa90fe3f.png

Screenshot_29.png.f4b2c9dbd768f64a45c700dafb4c0917.png

(the picture above taken from the early version of the map, but not too early, kinda like going between 0.98 to 1.00)

Edited by lokbustam257 : renaming the zip file

I would love to contribute a map to this collection. I'm in. I'll update the post in a few days with screenshots.

@dac What's the rules regarding creating a new texture from an existing patch in the texture file? I have a specific 8px high variant of one of the SHAWN textures I want to use to build a transparent floor trim like what are used in Ancient Aliens.