Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

xGreed - Source Port of the game "In Pursuit of Greed"

So I have just tested the port by myself, and the screen just keeps flickering in-game. Is this my device's problem or is it a bug (considering that this is in alpha state)?

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

So I have just tested the port by myself, and the screen just keeps flickering in-game. Is this my device's problem or is it a bug (considering that this is in alpha state)?

I had the same effect going on, I'm assuming this is how it works until higher resolutions are implemented.

2 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

29 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I had the same effect going on, I'm assuming this is how it works until higher resolutions are implemented.

Is it version 1.0.1.19 or 1.0.1.20?

1 hour ago, Master O said:

@jval Could you also do a competent sourceport for Rise of the Triad?

https://github.com/videogamepreservation/rott  (link to its Sourcecode).

I had some thoughts about ROTT in the past, but I discarded the idea. ROTT is too much more complex compared to GREED and it needs a dedicated developer for such a project. Since I have other projects running it wouldn't work.

18 minutes ago, jval said:

On 7/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, jval said:

1.0.1.20 here too. Windows 8.1, Intel/NVIDIA integrated video card.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, jval said:

ROTT is too much more complex compared to GREED

I never realised that, how does it come to be? Greed appears to have some rather advanced features like elevators and sloped floors, making it closer to Doom and Co.? Or is this something engine-wise? Like fog and lightning effects?

4 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

1.0.1.20 here too. Windows 8.1, Intel/NVIDIA integrated video card.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:52 PM, InDOOMnesia said:

I thing I know what's wrong, probably because the CPU can not draw the whole frame in 1/70 sec. I'll try to fix this....

4 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

I never realised that, how does it come to be? Greed appears to have some rather advanced features like elevators and sloped floors, making it closer to Doom and Co.? Or is this something engine-wise? Like fog and lightning effects? 

ROTT has many multiplayer modes and more variety in enemy think/AI. Also ROTT source code, in terms of source code lines, is 4x times the Greed source code (and 2x the size of Doom source code). 

On 6/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, jval said:

xGreed is a source port of the game "In Pursuit of Greed"

logo-256x256.png

General

"In Pursuit of Greed" is a 1995 FPS game developed by Mind Shear Software and published by SoftDisk.

The game engine is based on the "Raven Engine", a successor of Wolf3d engine, featuring floor and ceiling texture-mapping, variable heights and slopes.

xGreed is based on the original DOS source code and an unfinished source port for Windows, that was released by the developers of the game.

To run the game you will also need the game data, that can be downloaded at the above link.

Downloads (latest version 1.0.1.20 - 20200626 - Alpha)

Current project status

The current project status is alpha. A lot of things are not tested or not working. This first release intents to gather feedback for further development.

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Image15.png

Image17.png

Image16.png

What's the status of this now?

I've been running the game in DOSBox with GlovePie for a shitty mouselook implementation but would obviously appreciate something better.

Will wait for your response to decide if it's currently worth downloading at this point or not.

Cheers.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, jval said:

xGreed is a source port of the game "In Pursuit of Greed"

General

"In Pursuit of Greed" is a 1995 FPS game developed by Mind Shear Software and published by SoftDisk.

The game engine is based on the "Raven Engine", a successor of Wolf3d engine, featuring floor and ceiling texture-mapping, variable heights and slopes.

xGreed is based on the original DOS source code and an unfinished source port for Windows, that was released by the developers of the game.

To run the game you will also need the game data, that can be downloaded at the above link.

What files specifically are needed?  The readme does not specify.  Just the SHR files and the movie folder?

9 hours ago, Malice said:

What's the status of this now?

I've been running the game in DOSBox with GlovePie for a shitty mouselook implementation but would obviously appreciate something better.

Will wait for your response to decide if it's currently worth downloading at this point or not.

Cheers.

The game is playable but not thoroughly tested. Mouse is not supported (yet).

15 minutes ago, Master O said:

What files specifically are needed?  The readme does not specify.  Just the SHR files and the movie folder?

No, the GREED.SHR file is a compressed file used by the original install. XGreed needs data that the DOS installer produces:

• GREED.BLO file (data)
  • All *.mod & *.s3m files (music)
  • You can optionally copy the MOVIES folder of the original CD with the *.fli files (animations).

27 minutes ago, jval said:

No, the GREED.SHR file is a compressed file used by the original install. XGreed needs data that the DOS installer produces:

• GREED.BLO file (data)
  • All *.mod & *.s3m files (music)
  • You can optionally copy the MOVIES folder of the original CD with the *.fli files (animations).

That info needs to be added to the readme file as well.

8 hours ago, jval said:

The game is playable but not thoroughly tested. Mouse is not supported (yet).

Thanks for the update.

Will wait until mouselook is implemented as I can't stand to play this with just the keyboard.

Keep up the great work.

Edited by Malice

found a bug. 

When you quickly skip intro movies and start new game you end up resulting two music tracks playing together in  game.

Also i think you know its refreshing screen some part of screen flickering with black color.

P.S. wanted to try RADIX and get error "W_GetNumForName(): EnhancedEPCWeaponPicture not found!"

Wanted to try Dragon game , i downloaded every archive, there is no compiled binaries here

On 6/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, jval said:

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Image15.png

Image17.png

Image16.png

To avoid stretching, the 320x200 (and 640x400) resolution should be displayed in the 4:3 aspect ratio due to non-square pixels.

13 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

found a bug. 

When you quickly skip intro movies and start new game you end up resulting two music tracks playing together in  game.

Thanks, I'll look at this.

Also i think you know its refreshing screen some part of screen flickering with black color.

It's an issue I'm trying to solve.

P.S. wanted to try RADIX and get error "W_GetNumForName(): EnhancedEPCWeaponPicture not found!"

RAD needs the v2 Remix edition of the game (RADIX.DAT must be 20,474,683 bytes for register and 11,150,057 for shareware)

The EnhancedEPCWeaponPicture is present only in v2 Remix edition.

Wanted to try Dragon game , i downloaded every archive, there is no compiled binaries here

Oops! I had uploaded the source code as binary too:)

Fixed, try this file: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dragon-game/files/Dragon_1.0/Dragon_1.0.2.6_win32.zip/download

11 hours ago, Kityn said:

To avoid stretching, the 320x200 (and 640x400) resolution should be displayed in the 4:3 aspect ratio due to non-square pixels.

Next version will come soon and will have customizable pillarbox effect.

1 hour ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

did there a 640x400 i can download and try? link me please

Not yet but I'm working on this. I hope for a new version soon.

Version 1.1.3.34 is out!

Downloads:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgreed/files/xGreed%201.1/xGreed_1.1.3.34_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgreed/files/xGreed%201.1/xGreed_1.1.3.34_src.zip/download

What's new:

• Added Launcher application (LaunchXG.exe).
  • Fixed menu keyboard responding.
  • Fixed intro keyboard responding.
  • 640x400 display mode. The game will play only in this resolution, no more 320x200 display.
  • Optionally it can use mouse, mouselook and WASD movement controls. Sorry, no joystick support yet, I can't find my joystick to test :D.
  • It can access episodes 2 & 3. Use command line parameters -game2 & -game3, or use the launcher. 
  • Fixed blood spawning (violence must be enabled in the menu). Limit blood sprites to 200 in level (as the original game).
  • Fixed problem with crashing the first time that displays Save/Load screens.
  • Fixed saved game description entering. Now the backspace button works.
  • If flic animations not found will search for intro screens inside GREED.BLO.
  • Screenshots. Use the "print screen" button on your keyboard. Screenshots are saved in PNG format in a separate folder.
  • Cheats! All the original and some new... :)
  • Fixed light in blinking/glowing areas.
  • Added FASTMM memory manager.
  • Save defaults to a readable ini file, not more binary cfg file.
  • Fix sprite drawing glitch. Now it doesn't display a gray-blue pixel in the bottom of each sprite vertical line.
  • Fixed viewheight calculation in slopes. Now walking on slopes is smooth, not like moving on stairs.
  • Fixed music not stopping after loading another track.
  • Fixed end screens drawing and responding.
  • Fixed music and sound volume control.
  • Fixed heart-bit flicker.
  • Quit game at the correct map depending on game (1, 2, 3 or demo).

• Fixed song selection for episode 2 & 3.

• 4:3 display in widescreen monitor. Use the launcher to set (default). For advanced users: You can edit the "xGreed.ini" file and change the value of "vid_pillarbox_pct" variable. This variable controls the strength of the pillarbox effect. Default value is "17" (17% stretch).

• A lot of other tiny corrections and fixes...

Screenshots:

20211212-160135610.png

20211213-172029185.png

20211213-181627881.png

Launcher:

LaunchXG.png

On 4/19/2021 at 11:02 PM, Malice said:

Will wait until mouselook is implemented as I can't stand to play this with just the keyboard.

Done!

On 12/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, WhiteMagicRaven said:

found a bug. 

Fixed!

On 12/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, WhiteMagicRaven said:

I've set the DirectDraw blit sync to true, maybe this could fix the problem.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:10 PM, Kityn said:

Done!

On 12/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, WhiteMagicRaven said:

did there a 640x400 i can download and try? link me please

Done!

22 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

thank you very much, found other bug: in save game you can write save game name, but you can't correct it not by backspace not by delete not by arrows etc.

Fixed!

pressing on keyboard strafe and turn arrow blocks moving .

Did there is possible to turn off Y mouse looking completely?

Thanks a very great source port. =))) thank you so much!!!

2 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

pressing on keyboard strafe and turn arrow blocks moving .

Indeed, I'll try to fix this ASAP.

2 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

Did there is possible to turn off Y mouse looking completely?

There is a "hack" you can do,  open xGreed.ini with notepad, locate the mousesensitivityy variable and set it's value to -1. Save and run xGreed. Unfortunately, if you run the launcher it won't work, since the launcher will change the value to 1-20 range.

Thank you, will try =)

I think this blocking movement by un-ability to turn and strafe at same time or mouse turn and strafe comes from

Raven-Engine itself, this is also happens in shadowcaster.

P.S. Hmm i think when it will be fixed in xGreed probably it can be fixed in ShadowCaste by hex-editing of difference between xGreed with that problem and without.

Its like i done with Heretic 2 unofficial patch, i just compiled quake2 unmodified  and save their files, and compiled modified. Compared unmodified binary with modified and found difference, thd difference by unmodified quake2 i found in heretic2 also, and just pasted it into a modified quake2 part, and it works =)

Catch it =)? difficult sounds , but it easy.

P.P.S it works a mouse hack =) thank you

P.P.P.S hahah =)

i found

ControlMovement

function

and comment 

// check strafe

so it probably bug somewhere near this

Edited by WhiteMagicRaven

I just noticed that the original Red Shadow Software site with the full version of Greed and code is apparently down.

Riight, how could I forget (considering that IIRC it was I who asked to put them there). But it's still sad that the site is down, although Red Shadow Software appears to be active, or at least have been recently, with something like an Iron Seed remake or spiritual successor.

Here is version 1.1.4.40!

Downloads:

Executable: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgreed/files/xGreed%201.1/xGreed_1.1.4.40_bin.zip/download

Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgreed/files/xGreed%201.1/xGreed_1.1.4.40_src.zip/download

This is a release that gathers the last couple of days improvements I've had in my to-do list (at least the ones that I was able to implement, since I still don't have much experience with the engine), in order to provide a solid and modern experience of the game.

There are many important improvements in this release, but keep in mind that it is still beta-quality, so any feedback will help to identify and correct any bugs.

What's new:

• Mouse strafe. Hold the "Alt" button and move mouse left/right to strafe.
  • Smooth elevator, door & plat movement. Probably due to low CPU power at 1995, (and the usage of one byte fields to save memory) the elevators, the doors and the height-change effects were not updated in every tic, resulting in blocky movement. Now, the update is done in every tic, and as a result the movement is smooth.
  • Precise slope rendering. In order to save memory and CPU the original DOS game is using affine texture mapping for slopes. In many cases this gives us an ugly distortion of the slope texture. In higher resolutions the bad effect is more noticeable. In order to fix this I borrowed the technique that DelphiDoom uses in slopes software rendering (not code since they are completely incompatible) to give a fast and perspective-correct (to the eye) texture mapping to slopes. The new slope rendering is controlled by the "slopeprecise" ini setting and the default is true. It can be configured from the Launcher.
  • You can select the main data file from launcher, so there is no more the need to place the app inside the dos game folder. By selecting the main data file, the game will search and find the additional resources, assuming that the main data file is from a valid DOS installation.
  • Corrected background color in start screens.
  • Launcher accepts "-1" for mousesensitivityx & mousesensitivityy.
  • Mouse cursor in the menu. It can be turned on/off from the launcher.
  • Fixed bottom right pixel not drawn.
  • Changed jump key control to "E" in WASD mode.

Screenshots

Precise slope rendering:

20211217-121510967.png

Old slope rendering:
20211217-121648119.png

Updated launcher:

Launch-XG2.png

3 minutes ago, jval said:

Changed jump key control to "E" in WASD mode.

Not that I play this game, but I would personally recommend to have jump key bound to "space" in WASD mode. Space is what is used for jumping in almost all modern FPS games and E is used for use/open/press switch etc.