Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alephany

How light works in UDMF?

Question

I'm trying to change the brightness in a room by using voodoo dolls. But all it does is flicker for a brief moment and goes back to the original brightness. So my question is how to keep it at a certain brightness until crossing another linedef?

9 answers to this question

On 12/12/2021 at 7:55 AM, Alephany said:

I'd rather not, I'm a beginner mapper. And I think it would greatly help me understand how Doom works like this.

Why make things more difficult for yourself than they need to be?

23 hours ago, Alephany said:

Problem Solved.

This thread will exist in posterity, and someone may find it in the future. Can you explain how you solved the problem?

Using voodoo dolls in UDMF is harder to set up each time than having a bit of scripting knowledge ready to go, imo. The latter pays for itself after awhile.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, Alephany said:

I'd rather not, I'm a beginner mapper. And I think it would greatly help me understand how Doom works like this.

Voodoo dolls are largely used for crude "scripting" in the Boom map format and certain special effects in the vanilla format. If you're using UDMF though, there is 99.9% no need to set up or use voodoo dolls for any reason whatsoever. Like Boris said, you have access to actual scripting effects, which can do all of that and more. It's better to start using scripts than making things needlessly harder for yourself.

(Also just wanna point out, using voodoo dolls in general is not a beginner mapping technique. So if you're comfortable with working with voodoo dolls, you should be comfortable with scripting.)

On 12/14/2021 at 11:12 PM, Pegleg said:

This thread will exist in posterity, and someone may find it in the future. Can you explain how you solved the problem?

Basically, the room had Light Glow already so when I wanted to set the brightness higher or lower, it would do it for only a second then nothing. Just had to remove the "Light Glow".

23 hours ago, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

Using voodoo dolls in UDMF is harder to set up each time than having a bit of scripting knowledge ready to go, imo. The latter pays for itself after awhile.

21 hours ago, SMG_Man said:

Voodoo dolls are largely used for crude "scripting" in the Boom map format and certain special effects in the vanilla format. If you're using UDMF though, there is 99.9% no need to set up or use voodoo dolls for any reason whatsoever. Like Boris said, you have access to actual scripting effects, which can do all of that and more. It's better to start using scripts than making things needlessly harder for yourself.

(Also just wanna point out, using voodoo dolls in general is not a beginner mapping technique. So if you're comfortable with working with voodoo dolls, you should be comfortable with scripting.)

I'm not planning to stay on UDMF for future WAD/MAP(S). UDMF seems extremely hard to make distinct maps. I just happened to choose UDMF format after watching a video tutorial about Doom mapping. 

9 hours ago, Alephany said:

UDMF seems extremely hard to make distinct maps.

It's not. You're just not taking advantage of the amazing possibilities it offers with ACS.