Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Nobody

[MOD-HUD] Mortal HUD: for Vanilla-DooM & Smooth-DooM

This is a FANTASTIC looking minimal HUD, I wish someone would implement this in to like, DSDADoom or PRBoom+UM or something. 

12 hours ago, OpenRift said:

This is a FANTASTIC looking minimal HUD, I wish someone would implement this in to like, DSDADoom or PRBoom+UM or something. 

Thank you kindly!

I'm open to suggestions, not very familiar with PRBoom I haven't tried Mortal-HUD in PRBoom, I assume it should work, but if not and if someone does an alternative version for it, feel free to share, I will add it to the official thread.

Mortal HUD is also now available on ModDB:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/mod-hud-mortal-hud-for-vanilla-doom-smooth-doom

Mortal-HUD version for Vanilla-DooM is completed. The SmoothDoom version needs a final tweak to show the custom weapons icons, DooM/DooM64 custom weapons that SmoothDoom uses, not a big issue easy to add, apart from that its totally functional, all the features working. Done.

Edited by MORTAL

I appreciate that Doomguy's face is still intact. To me, seeing how bloody his face is has always been easier than looking at the number in the middle of a fight.

I always use alternative hud because of the mininal impact on screen, and this is just perfect for me.

Going to use it as my main hud from now on, great work man!

Damn, I finally found the Minimalist HUD I've always wanted to use for Smooth Doom. GZDoom's alternative HUD is fine, but Mortal HUD is way better. Good job

10 hours ago, Spineapple tea said:

I appreciate that Doomguy's face is still intact. To me, seeing how bloody his face is has always been easier than looking at the number in the middle of a fight.

Yeah that's the detail I always missed in many alternative Huds around, I also like to see the animated doomguy's face when playing, like in the classic letterbox hud, it feels more alive that way.

23 minutes ago, Soulless said:

I always use alternative hud because of the mininal impact on screen, and this is just perfect for me.

Going to use it as my main hud from now on, great work man!

Sweet! thank you for the kind words.

I Updated the Mod, added code into the Mortal-HUD for SmoothDoom. Now equipped weapon icons shows properly.

37 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Damn, I finally found the Minimalist HUD I've always wanted to use for Smooth Doom. GZDoom's alternative HUD is fine, but Mortal HUD is way better. Good job

Thanks a lot Teo Slayer.

I updated the mod just right now, check if you have the last version, I fixed the equipped weapon icons not showing properly in SmoothDooM, now is working properly. If you can't see the weapon icon above the ammo counter that means it's the old version. Apart from that, the mod is finally finished, both versions for Vanilla-DooM and SmoothDooM.

Posted the mod in the Zandronum forum as well, waiting the forum mods approval.

I added another alternative option to download the Mortal-Hud from google drive.

Mortal HUD finally up in Zandronum Forum:

https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10452

If for some reason links are not available here's another download-source (Google-Drive):

Vanilla DooM Versions:

Mortal HUD Standard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J8e6VeHp2DOkfH2mR06wAM-8bNYBbOxF/view?usp=sharing
Mortal HUD Standard + Extra Counters: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2BuLngamrJFihjW0qpyTYVqAlUo9ZZf/view?usp=sharing

Smooth DooM Versions:
Mortal HUD SmoothDoom: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s-8NSc79LeU1NPDmSfqIOFI_rnZT5rNB/view?usp=sharing
Mortal HUD SmoothDoom + Extra Counters: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JdEyuwa59_EzaVMlwpuzg0LLEZD-GAZr/view?usp=sharing

Mortal HUD All Versions:
Mortal HUD (All Versions): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJuIlTyVcZa6uLGfGAA4xvZPPjRWp9fs/view?usp=sharing

On 12/23/2021 at 2:41 AM, MORTAL said:

Armor Numbers below 101- in green color, Armor numbers above 101+ in blue color.

Can I just double check, you don't mean you just color the numbers depending on whether they're above or below 101, right? Because blue and green armor persist all the way to 0 depending on what was picked up last.

4 hours ago, irukanjji said:

Are this compatible with DoomRetro ?

I can't tell, I haven't tried with DoomRetro

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Can I just double check, you don't mean you just color the numbers depending on whether they're above or below 101, right? Because blue and green armor persist all the way to 0 depending on what was picked up last.

The armor numbers just displays armor percentage (no armor-class-absorption), numbers will be always visible in green-colored if armor percentage is 100 or less and blue-colored if the armor percentage is superior to 101, regardless of what armor you are currently wearing, blue or green.

What is showing the actual armor-class-absorption is the Armor Icon, which always shows the best armor-class you're wearing independently of the armor percentage.

GLBOXN5h.png

Can be seen as well in this video, armor percentage dropping below 100 and changing color while wearing blue armor (17:56):

Also a reference from the DooM-Wiki about armors:

SxSA3Wl.png

Which is exactly what happened in the video when I was trying to escape away from the triggered trap, so unfortunate.

Edited by MORTAL

So, in other words, if I pick up a blue armor, and my armor drops to 89%, the icon will still show blue armor but the text displaying the armor remaining will be green?

(Having trouble seeing the video/pictures due to my data)

hi! thanks for this, it has everything I ever wanted in a stock-styled fullscreen hud

just one suggestion, however: in its current state, the hud does not scale nicely when changing any of the hud scaling options provided by gzdoom

I've edited the sbarinfo.txt lump, changing the "resolution" parameter to "320, 200" values

this way I'm able to set an arbitrary scaling factor that let me have a nice chunky hud at every rendering resolution 

this is just a matter of personal preference, of course..

thanks and merry xmas!

2 hours ago, MORTAL said:

The armor numbers just displays armor percentage (no armor-class-absorption), numbers will be always visible in green-colored if armor percentage is 100 or less and blue-colored if the armor percentage is superior to 101, regardless of what armor you are currently wearing, blue or green.

Why don't you just have the color of the value reflect the class of armor the player is wearing? Feels a whole lot less confusing than an arbitrary color change at 101 that doesn't mean anything, especially when it's the same two colors as the armor classes, even though it's completely independent.

I love that minimal HUD.

Would it be ok to integrate it in to a project as the default HUD?

4 hours ago, MORTAL said:

Also a reference from the DooM-Wiki about armors:

SxSA3Wl.png

Which is exactly what happened in the video when I was trying to escape away from the triggered trap, so unfortunate.

how do you get Doom Wiki displayed as dark mode?

15 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

So, in other words, if I pick up a blue armor, and my armor drops to 89%, the icon will still show blue armor but the text displaying the armor remaining will be green?

Correct

13 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

hi! thanks for this, it has everything I ever wanted in a stock-styled fullscreen hud

just one suggestion, however: in its current state, the hud does not scale nicely when changing any of the hud scaling options provided by gzdoom

I've edited the sbarinfo.txt lump, changing the "resolution" parameter to "320, 200" values

this way I'm able to set an arbitrary scaling factor that let me have a nice chunky hud at every rendering resolution 

thanks and merry xmas!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion I totally overlooked the GZDoom custom resolutions. I tried your method and indeed the interface works, it increases the size of the HUD image & numbers using Zandronum which is not ideal, but I guess it may work perfectly fine with GZDoom as you mentioned. Gonna consider to upload a GZDoom version of the HUD.

Merry Xmas to you too!.

12 hours ago, CBM said:

I love that minimal HUD.

Would it be ok to integrate it in to a project as the default HUD?

Absolutely no problem with that, just give credits.

10 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

how do you get Doom Wiki displayed as dark mode?

I'm using a plugin integrated in my Brave web browser called "Dark Reader". Its also available for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

65PIOhU.png

https://darkreader.org/

Can be found in Chrome web store and in Firefox addons-mozilla.org as well.

12 hours ago, Bauul said:

Why don't you just have the color of the value reflect the class of armor the player is wearing? Feels a whole lot less confusing than an arbitrary color change at 101 that doesn't mean anything, especially when it's the same two colors as the armor classes, even though it's completely independent.

I do agree with that, makes sense. However I tried to implement this into another version for testing and can't make this to work this way, may be due my limited experience modding doom, but anyways I did more research about this; 

The issue is how DooM handles armor Items, BasicArmorPickup are an Item class (including the GreenArmor and BlueArmor-megaarmor) that don't remain in the player inventory as a normal item. When you pick up any armor, what the game does is to update once a value called BasicArmor and updates the armor icon as well. (can be seen in the image below, in yellow 0 armor, in green I give myself green armor, then updated the player inventory by using printinv command, showing the updated inventory after giving myself the new green armor, same can be seen below with the bluearmor); Both, green-armor and blue-armor uses this same internal class.

RNzM1TG.png

What this means is that the game doesn't add any actual item into the player's inventory and it doesn't keep track of the type of armor you're wearing. So there's no way to add a further function inside the SBARINFO lump to call this or keep track of the actual armor type to display the numbers in the color desired depending on if you're wearing green or blue armor.

This is also explained in another ZDooM Forum Topic:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=23437

0y9zngN.png

wkCrSPW.png

HUqg6oz.png

Here's another mention about this issue by another modder:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=23400

If there's a realistic and non-intrusive way to do this please illustrate me, but keep in mind that the main premise of the HUD is to not alter/overwrite any ingame resources that may conflict with other mods or wads, also to keep max compatibility with other ports.

Other alternative is to just ditch this feature of colored armor numbers and just revert back to the classic red-colored armor numbers.

Happy Christmas & Happy Holidays!

34 minutes ago, MORTAL said:

it doesn't keep track of the type of armor you're wearing

I'm no expert at all in the internal workings of GZDoom, but if that were true, how does this function work? Or am I misunderstanding this function?

In the Hud for Elementalism we do have a different color text for what type of armor you currently have on, and while I didn't write the script myself, looking at it I can see we use a function called armor.ArmorType to get the current type of armor. So based on that I guess it's possible?

But if not, I would absolutely agree with just reverting back to red numbers. Having blue or green will definitely lead to people presuming they have either blue or green armor equipped.

4 hours ago, Bauul said:

I'm no expert at all in the internal workings of GZDoom, but if that were true, how does this function work? Or am I misunderstanding this function?

In the Hud for Elementalism we do have a different color text for what type of armor you currently have on, and while I didn't write the script myself, looking at it I can see we use a function called armor.ArmorType to get the current type of armor. So based on that I guess it's possible?

But if not, I would absolutely agree with just reverting back to red numbers. Having blue or green will definitely lead to people presuming they have either blue or green armor equipped.

Thank you for your guidance, yeah I have been reading around and seems to be correct, as far I know that method requires ACS-Scripting which is one of the things that I was trying to avoid for this specific project, for two reasons: May conflict with other ports like ZDoom, PRBoom or others causing the whole hud mod to be incompatible with them. I'm not an expert about GZDoom internal coding either, so I also lack of experience tweaking ACS scripting which may be another potential source of more issues and endless frustration, the documentation seems to be veeery extense and in english, which is not my native language so that requires even more effort and even more unhealthy hours just to reach the same point, not worth to spend days or only god knows the amount of time just to find out how to change the colors in one numeric value, personal opinion of course, but seems to be so much for just so little in exchange.

Never dig into ACS Scripting, I tweaked some parameters, I played with the most majority of loops, I edited sprites, made custom images, implemented other huds for hexen or heretic, also doom huds with animated bars and other stuff, did some animations, mapped traditional-oriented maps, not overcomplicated script-loaded ones. That's the farthest I've ever gone and will go.

Nevertheless I'm afraid that the only way to implement this is by using ACS-Scripting, unless there's another workaround by using DECORATE, CVARINFO, SBARINFO, of which I totally ignore, which is saddening to say the least.

I updated the mod considering the last feedback (thank you for your suggestions), these are the changes:

- I reverted back the original red color to display the armor-percentage number.

- I added extra HUD versions with bigger icons, text and numbers. (Thanks to Delfino Furioso for the idea)

21 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

No longer an Issue, the armor-percentage now shows in the original red color, I do apologize if the old green-blue color switching function was causing confusion.

20 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

thanks and merry xmas!

I added extra HUD versions based in your suggestion. There's now 4 new downloadable versions using this new Resolution parameter at 320x200, thanks for the Idea!. To be honest, it looks good (Guess some people will like this alternative hud size, so I added this option as well):

BIG:

H189wLZh.png

NORMAL:

ZMhRXX3h.png

8 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Awesome! Very useful and fits in as perfect as a HUD mod can. I'll be adding this to my default loadout! Thanks for your work MORTAL :)

Glad to hear that! and thanks a lot for your encouraging words, :)

2 hours ago, MORTAL said:

I updated the mod considering the last feedback (thank you for your suggestions), these are the changes:

- I reverted back the original red color to display the armor-percentage number.

- I added extra HUD versions with bigger icons, text and numbers. (Thanks to Delfino Furioso for the idea)

No longer an Issue, the armor-percentage now shows in the original red color, I do apologize if the old green-blue color switching function was causing confusion.

I added extra HUD versions based in your suggestion. There's now 4 new downloadable versions using this new Resolution parameter at 320x200, thanks for the Idea!. To be honest, it looks good (Guess some people will like this alternative hud size, so I added this option as well):

BIG:

H189wLZh.png

NORMAL:

ZMhRXX3h.png

awesome

I will ofc include credits, how easy or difficult is it to change the weapons and ammo shown in the hud for custom weapons and ammo?

(I plan on using it in afterdawn and afterdawn uses the genetech weapons and ammo plus a few weapons from postal 2 such as the baton and the sniper rifle plus a homing version of the rocket launcher also all 10 weapon slots are used)

On 12/26/2021 at 9:26 AM, CBM said:

awesome

I will ofc include credits, how easy or difficult is it to change the weapons and ammo shown in the hud for custom weapons and ammo?

(I plan on using it in afterdawn and afterdawn uses the genetech weapons and ammo plus a few weapons from postal 2 such as the baton and the sniper rifle plus a homing version of the rocket launcher also all 10 weapon slots are used)

It shouldn't be too complicate to implement, you can use the already existing code, just have to change some definitions or add your own resources, for example:

IsSelected RocketLauncher
	{
	  DrawImage "STWSNUM5", -26, -43;
	  DrawImage "ICWEA5A", -122, -43;
	}

This part of code triggers when you select a weapon; in this case the RocketLauncher, if you want to add your own weapon here just replace the weapon class name.

• DrawImage "STWSNUM5" Color the numbers of the weapon slot you are currently using in red. "STWSNUM5" refers to weapon-slot 5, you can use any other like: "STWSNUM1", "STWSNUM2", "STWSNUM3" and so on. Also keep in mind the X and Y values, they are responsible to draw the colored number on the screen correctly, vertical-horizontal, in this case is -26 and -43. Check the other weapons defined into the code, all of em have their own X and Y values already set to drawn the active weapon colored numbers correctly above the selected weapon slot.
  • DrawImage "ICWEA5A" displays the actual weapon equipped icon above the ammo, if you add your own custom weapons you can make your own sprites to be shown, just replace ICWEA5A" with your own image name.
DrawNumber 3, AMMOCAPFONTY, untranslated, Ammo RocketAmmo, -36, -18;
  • This one makes your actual ammo for that weapon to be shown in the HUD small ammo counters. If you add a new class of ammo just replace RocketAmmo by the new one.
DrawNumber 3, AMMOCAPFONTY, untranslated, AmmoCapacity RocketAmmo, -8, -18;

This one calls the maximum-ammo-capacity for the specific ammo and shows that in the HUD small ammo counters as well. Same thing as above, just replace RocketAmmo with your new custom ammo, but keep in mind that AmmoCapacity takes the value defined by you to limit the max amount of ammo that the player can carry, with or without backpack bonus. You have to define this for any kind of new custom ammo you add into your code.

5 hours ago, MORTAL said:

It shouldn't be too complicate to implement, you can use the already existing code, just have to change some definitions or add your own resources

Cool! Thanks for the example.

super small?

try the "BIG" variant 

invisible?

check the "screenblocks" cvar value, it must be set to 11

(Mortal Hud is a replacement for gzdoom's Fullscreen HUD, it does not have a standard statusbar definition)

script errors?

are you sure that smoothdoom.pk3 has been loaded correctly?

check gzdoom's console output prior to the screenshot you provided and look for confirmation there

8 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

super small?

try the "BIG" variant 

invisible?

check the "screenblocks" cvar value, it must be set to 11

(Mortal Hud is a replacement for gzdoom's Fullscreen HUD, it does not have a standard statusbar definition)

script errors?

are you sure that smoothdoom.pk3 has been loaded correctly?

check gzdoom's console output prior to the screenshot you provided and look for confirmation there

Alright, Imma try that. Thanks btw!

Edit: Got it working, it was super small in the left hand corner of my screen. Had to look up "Hud" in options search and adjust "alternative HUD"

Edited by FlyingBearCrap