Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maribo

Walking in the Void: A Short Love Letter

Great post! It's definitely a really cool visual detail for sure.

I know you mentioned Sunlust already, but there's actually another map in it that does that: MAP06. Here's the screenshot of it (stolen from Decino's Sunlust walkthrough vid):

Spoiler

It's the part where you can kill the barons of hell by pressing the green button. It was a cool-looking room.

image.png.887d834cc9c59d4362a83a809feff8d8.png

I very much agree. Super cool feeling that it gives, it's creepy, yet peaceful. It allows the imagination to wander, it's especially impressive when done with only Doom 2 textures. Takes a lot of creativity to do that. 

I'll have to try and make something like this. I love when teleporters connect areas and in between there's dark void sections with nothing but candles. It's surreal and beautiful and brings in a calm (I'll try to find some screenshots to explain better). I'd love to do something like this in ZDoom, so I can cut or change the music, that way it really adds to the effect. 

Evidently, I've made dozens of void areas or maps. You're probably already aware of Farfarout and Axolotl. I'll shill give a few more examples c:

My first void map seems to be Abstract Zone, there's not much void seen in these screenshots but it's there (and instadeath!):

Spoiler

The second map of Fricassee here floats entirely in the sky. It also has a tiny section (not shown) where you run across a series of hexagonal platforms that lower into said sky. Be sure to not actually play in vanilla exe or choco because there's HOMs in that area that at the time I didn't know how to fix:

Spoiler

Both of my 64KB Challenge maps, but Shutter Trance takes the the cake: 

Spoiler

EZGaJSrXYAAxxdV.png.4c11fce0b3c59de2230fd734f87312a2.png

My Hexen map is the king when it comes to Xyzzy-Void maps at the moment:

Spoiler

But then...: 

Spoiler

And then...:

Spoiler

So yeah, you might say I'm fond of void stuff like this, too, but I'm starting to see it as more of a crutch for me to fall back on wrt mapping out an area now :P

Well thanks to Dusty, I was trying 'the void' for 3 hours the other day.  I definitely get this, it was quite relaxing in an odd way and not seeing a solid floor makes you play a little more carefully.  Sunlust still does it right though, a nice mix of pathways to guide you but gets that feeling of being nowhere, right.

So, I can get what this void-walking is although my vision of it is kind of different.

The voidwalking I have seen and which sadly I do not have examples of at reach right now, it's when there is a full void BUT you can walk on floating pieces of rock/stone and cross to another structure, kind of like cosmic/eldritch stuff which I have REALLY wanted to try but never had the chance.

Myself so far have not tried other kind of voidwalking, at most I have done "this map looks normal and then YOU GET TELEPORTED TO AN ELDRITCH REALM OF FLESH", which no idea if others have done.

To be honest I can not give my examples of voidwalking like the thread itself shows, at least not right now.

The last void thing I remember is a secret boss in Abysm 2

I wanted to mention Sign of Torment, but I see you've already done so yourself. One void map I recall is also MAP32 (I think?) from A.L.T., Memoris Spiritus I think it's called.

I like void theme when it uses a deep starry sky and a reasonable number of colors. I also enjoyed them more when they are difficult.

Hell Revealed map 26 is for me a long time classic . You can walk above the stars and take strange teleporters !

Spoiler

My favourite "void-themed" level is by far Dark Resolution 2008 map 10 by Death-Destiny. Not only because I love d-d brutal maps but the  midi renditon of Dream Theater's music bring a satisfying heroic feeling. However , you don't walk in the void in the map but the sky and the ominous darkness definitely create an otherworldy and hollow atmosphere

Spoiler

My favourite void aesthetics with rather different moods 

Spoiler

Alpha Major

TsNmDQp.png

Dimensions map 2

uA2Bzkg.png

Toilet of the Gods map 3

WIUCEMz.png

Sunder map 18

erHVfaO.png

You may also be interested in Null Space.

Also, if you don't mind GZDoom maps, there's good old Void (name says it all), and the more modern Void and Rainbow (name also says it all), Refracted Reality, and Lullaby.

8 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Both of my 64KB Challenge maps, but Shutter Trance takes the the cake: 

Hide contents

EZGaJSrXYAAxxdV.png.4c11fce0b3c59de2230fd734f87312a2.png

Ah, a GRAYTALL map.

Unsurprisingly, Fifty Shades of GRAYTALL is a good bet for void-ish maps given the texturing restrictions.

20 hours ago, BigMetalhead said:

Great post! It's definitely a really cool visual detail for sure.

I know you mentioned Sunlust already, but there's actually another map in it that does that: MAP06. Here's the screenshot of it (stolen from Decino's Sunlust walkthrough vid):

Reveal hidden contents

It's the part where you can kill the barons of hell by pressing the green button. It was a cool-looking room.

image.png.887d834cc9c59d4362a83a809feff8d8.png

This was actually on my mind when I was making the OP, but it was already pretty full of Ribbiks examples, so I opted to go with the more unique one in Sunlust. I do love this map though, I think it looks extremely cool.

18 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

[Stuff]

This is a gold mine, thank you for all of the examples. Farfarout has also been on my mind recently, because of the DWMegawad Club.... It honestly slipped my mind or I would have included it in the OP as well.

18 hours ago, lunchlunch said:

Surprised you went with the example of Zzul Base's secret map and not Dimensions MAP02: 'Walking In The Void', which I thought was what this thread would be about.

Originally I did intend to name that one as an example, but... I think I decided to just keep the name reference for the thread title and post the Zzul Bases map as an example, but the base one has a mystique to it that I was compelled to post... It's also completely possible that my goldfish brain just forgot to include dmn02.

18 hours ago, Archanhell said:

The voidwalking I have seen and which sadly I do not have examples of at reach right now, it's when there is a full void BUT you can walk on floating pieces of rock/stone and cross to another structure, kind of like cosmic/eldritch stuff which I have REALLY wanted to try but never had the chance.

Ohhh, I know what you're talking about. I really like this aesthetic in visual art and stuff. I can't think of any doom wads off-hand that do this but I'm sure there are some out there. Would also fit my vision of voidwalking. :)

15 hours ago, Roofi said:

[Stuff]

Yessss, I think HR26 was one of my first introductions to this aesthetic in Doom. I will definitely have to play that Death-Destiny map, I love D-D maps and that one has escaped me so far.

11 hours ago, El Inferno said:

My favourite void aesthetics with rather different moods 

Reveal hidden contents

Alpha Major

TsNmDQp.png

Dimensions map 2

uA2Bzkg.png

Toilet of the Gods map 3

WIUCEMz.png

Sunder map 18

erHVfaO.png

GREAT contributions, the lights in Alpha-Major are stunning and this is motivating me to get to TOTG soon.

10 hours ago, Gez said:

You may also be interested in Null Space.

Also, if you don't mind GZDoom maps, there's good old Void (name says it all), and the more modern Void and Rainbow (name also says it all), Refracted Reality, and Lullaby.

Ah, a GRAYTALL map.

Unsurprisingly, Fifty Shades of GRAYTALL is a good bet for void-ish maps given the texturing restrictions.

Thank you for these, I remember seeing Null Space in the memorable maps page, but I haven't given it a proper go until now. This is also a nice reminder of graytall.

Edited by Maribo