Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2021 - On IdGames!

Hey, I revamped my submission for this project, Present Threat. I just wasn't happy with how the ending turned out, so I gave it (and other aspects of the map) a much-needed do-over.

Download

Present Threat 2.0 is visually near-identical to its original version, so you get a lone Picture:

qoGtHlL.png

The map's info is the exact same as the previous release, though I'll copy-paste it here for convenience's sake.

-- MAP INFO --
Map Name: Present Threat 2.0 (Director's Cut)
Format: Doom II - requires a limit-removing port!
Tested in: dsda-doom, Crispy Doom, GZDoom
Compatibility: Doom v1.9 (-complevel 2)
Supports all three difficulties.
Supports singleplayer and co-op.

Changes:

Spoiler
  • Replaced the epic (fake) Zelda's Adventure 'Overworld' MIDI from VGMusic with a different, more fitting (and also fake) CD-i Zelda MIDI. Specifically, it's the 'Dungeon Theme', composer unknown.
  • Covered the west wing's outdoor areas in snow, because it's WINTER! (And also because there's a shitload of snow outside as of typing this.)
  • Tweaked some areas' difficulty. The first part of the western/eastern wings are easier, while the revenant arena is slightly harder.
  • You can now telefrag the central spider mastermind with the left teleporter, saving a lot of time and ammo.
  • To compensate for this, the BFG is now a secret as originally intended. Also, the huge ammo hoard that you get before the final battle has been cut down. 
  • On UV/NM, you'll be warped to an interesting area when trying to pick up the invulnerability.
  • Added *experimental* co-op support. There might be a bug or two exclusive to it, though I can't think of a spot where it might happen.
  • Various tweaks and fixes.

2.0's new textures (the MUN_SNW and MUN_HEL ones) were created by me, apart from one which came from the Doom unused asset dump. 

This is a run and gun map for strong limit-removing ports (Crispy Doom or something similar being the minimum, this is not designed for lighter ports or something like Doom32.exe.)  The enemy count is moderate but there's lots of fodder.

32gjRfu.png

Download - Hangnail v3

Download - Hangnail v1

Name: Hangnail
Modes: Singleplayer
Format: Limit-removing with MBF sky transfers
Testing: Crispy Doom, Eternity, GZDoom
Skill Levels: All implemented
Jump/Crouch: No
Freelook: Okay but not intended
Pistol Start: Designed for
Rendering: Software preferred but hardware okay
Music: ivy.mid by stewboy
Textures: Doom 2
Sky: THKSKY15 by Mechadon, Mek's Box o' Skies v3

Sorry for the late release on this--I was busy over the holidays and came back to find my hard drive failing.  It won't affect the map since I always back up my work but it will complicate my ability to make edits before time is up.  I think I should be able to manage small fixes but testing might be an issue for me.  I'll see how things go with my repairs.  That's what I get for finishing a map for an all year project in late December!

Anyway, feedback from anyone is appreciated.  I should be able to watch videos if you feel like recording but I doubt I'll be able to watch demos until January.  Please let me know if you find bugs, softlocks, texture issues, etc.  I don't remember where balance was on this but hopefully it's presentable.  Let's hope I uploaded the right version.  Thanks, y'all.

Edited by Salmon : updated file version

I fell off the face of the earth this last year but I've made it back just in time to not miss the DMP deadline! I'll be knocking out a 2hr speedmap today so I'll edit this post once it's ready for feedback.

Hello!

Similar to @xvertigox, I am back (though in my case it's "back-ish") to patch together my approach to a small(!) vanilla-compatible map. 

It'll possibly be a bit gimmicky. And surprising.

I am determined to make it the fun kind of "gimmicky and surprising"..

No promises, though.

Ok, my map is done and ready for testing and approval. I attempted to do a 2 hour speedmap but I failed spectacularly. To prepare I had drawn a quick layout sketch and selected a theme - overgrown, abandoned techbase. I started work on the map and it was going ok. I didn't really get stuck and was able to keep placing down lines freely and at a good pace. Unfortunately, at around the 1h10m mark I looked at my map and the detailing I was doing and suddenly realized there was no way I could finish this in the allotted time. I had completely misjudged how I would need to work in this two hour period. I'm not upset at all that I failed as it was my first solo speedmap attempt and I learned a few valuable lessons along the way.

For my second attempt I decided to drastically cut down my time limit and set it at 30 minutes.  This decision was in no small part because @Dubbag had very recently linked me Half-Moon. I played a few of those maps and got a sense of how much I would be able to extend myself in 30 minutes. I made another sketch for the map which I ended up completely ignoring.

I was able to sit down and get a map done start to finish in 30 minutes. It's by no means a good or pretty map but it is a map. I hope that this is appropriate for DMP. My understanding of the project is it's basically 'anything goes' within reason. To be honest, I did clean up the map a tiny bit after I had completed the 30 minutes. There were no visual changes, things placed or moved - it was just a few line action changes to stop monsters opening up essentially the whole map at the very start.

As for the map itself, it uses 32in24-15_tex_v2. I've seen that other maps in DMP use the same texture set which is why I chose it. I actually originally chose cc4tex but I learnt that 32in24-15 is an updated version of cc4tex.  There are no custom monsters or weapons but there is a custom midi (full details incl. credits here). The map is called Avoid The Noid. If you want more info on this check the spoiler at the bottom.

Download v1.2 (Skill levels added, coop starts and monsters added, separate DM map built and added)

Screenshots

Spoiler

yFj5RY1.png

cUfzMay.png

d0o98Dj.png

Avoid the Noid

Spoiler

The reason I chose the name Avoid the Noid was because in the 80s Dominoes had a marketing campaign all about 'the Noid'. The Noid was a creature that came over and fucked up your pizza if you waited 30 min. The idea being that you 'avoid the Noid' by buying pizza from Dominoes as they would deliver in under 30min.  You can see how this ties in to my map and it's 30 min mapping timelimit. The midi I'm using is from a NES game about the Noid called 'Yo! Noid'.

'Avoid the Noid' is widely regarded as a huge marketing blunder that ended up with drivers crashing while trying to deliver pizza and a schizophrenic man taking hostages because of 'the Noid'. I highly recommend doing some reading on this marketing campaign, it's quite interesting.

Map details

Spoiler

"Avoid the Noid" by vertigo
For Doomworld Maximum Project 2021

Advanced engine needed: Limit removing (works in Crispy but not Choc)
Map format: Doom 2
Music: Yo! Noid - First Stage Music - yonoidstg1.mid
New textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2
Map: MAP01
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Designed for
Deathmatch: Designed for
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Jumping: User preference
Crouching: User preference
Build Time: 30 min (+5min to make dm level)
Editor(s) used: Ultimate Doom Builder, SLADE3
Tested With: Crispy Doom, DSDA-Doom, Doomsday, Eternity Engine, EDGE, GZDoom

Description: You find yourself inexpicably plopped into an unfamilar building - your only recourse is to kill everyone and everything you possibly can.

p.s I spent longer writing up this post than I did on mapping o_O

Edited by xvertigox : Added v1.2

7 hours ago, Salmon said:

This is a run and gun map for strong limit-removing ports (Crispy Doom or something similar being the minimum, this is not designed for lighter ports or something like Doom32.exe.)  The enemy count is moderate but there's lots of fodder.

32gjRfu.png

Wow, looks great!

On 12/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, Biodegradable said:

@DoomTheRobot Yep, nothing out the ordinary arou-hey wait a minute!

Thanks for the playthrough! Really enjoyed seeing your reaction.

I have one question however: Do you happen to have "Earthquake shake intensity" turned down to zero? I noticed that the earthquake effect was not there in your playthrough and I'm unsure if that's because I made a mistake in the ACS or not.

7 minutes ago, DoomTheRobot said:

Do you happen to have "Earthquake shake intensity" turned down to zero?

Yeah, I keep forgetting to put it back on! heh

@Biodegradable thanks so much for taking the time to play these maps. In mine you actually found a way to bypass the biggest fight in the level through a secret (but still missed the megasphere in that secret :D ). I'm making some changes/fixes and will upload a new version.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:59 AM, Rymante said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Z50kbz.jpg

Z50J4b.jpg

Z50gio.jpg

Z50El5.jpg

My submission is ready!  Here are the important details :

MAP NAME - Hell of a First Day!

MAP FORMAT - Boom (use '-complevel 9' if using PrBoom Plus)

TESTED SOURCE PORTS - PrBoom Plus v2.5.1.4 & 2.6.1um  /  GZDoom v4.5.0 & 4.6.1

JUMPING & FREELOOK - Jumping should NOT be used, it will break progression or get you stuck depending on where you use it.  Freelook is not required to beat the map (it has been tested on UV & beaten with it disabled), but also shouldn't break anything so I'll consider Freelook a personal preference.

MUSIC - Stage 2 from 'Journey to Silius'

TEXTURES - cc4tex (Textures not included, must load textures seperately.  I can provide a list of all the specific cc4tex textures & flats I used once it's time to compile all the maps together.)

BACK STORY - You are a fresh recruit out of Space Marine Academy & have just been assigned your first post at a UAC facility.  You arrive at the facility only to discover everyone dead & the place is infested with demons & zombies!  You didn't even get to say hello to your new colleagues!  The door you came in through locked behind you, good thing you packed a sidearm & some magazines with you, since now you'll have to fight your way out & survive!  Hopefully the next job will actually land you a paycheck........

Adjustments have been made for all difficulties & for co-op play!

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Since the deadline is near I decided to take one more quick look at my map.  A small tweak has been made to the Yellow Key encounter so that the order you hit the switches in doesn't matter as much.  Nothing else has changed from the previous release.

Here's a link to the updated version > Hell of a First Day! v2

As before, the cc4 textures used are NOT included in the wad, so you'll have to load that resource alongside the map when testing.

Update?

I tend to post updates but since this is not my own thread I'll leave it at this one (and maybe updated it later if something changes).. this is not the "I'm done" post yet. It's just an update.

Spoiler

Outside

update.png

Go on and grab it! What could go wrong?

Inside

inside.png

Lessons (or rather, exercises) in texture mixing and aligning

Wrapped in a spoiler tag as to not keep you from scrolling past it ^^

Update: "Look, bub, that's rocketproof glass. Don't worry."

(Video Link: https://streamable.com/5qbfk1)

Edited by Zylinderkatze

So here is my Entry (lastly)

It is a Vanilla Compatible Map with Difficutlies build in and some Gimmick and Plattforming between the running and gunning and Arena Fights.

Pyramap1.2.zip

tempel.png.d15098f78281485c96d298883a5693e7.png

0.png.1a51016098dfa336f5eed222da761a5c.png

Spoiler

CHNG1.PNG.f3a2cd67b33ec9fdf572f81d6c2ac20c.PNG1.png.de46b81365419dc6c2d9cf3c73c6a246.png3.png.d385b2bee53944a8083a14ae00edf7b4.png4.png.9217706ad9db23b33593a7ea9a51fd44.png5.png.b2c95c704214dc60b6635517bb81fe93.png

2021122908204202.jpg.04b4eca7d040024bb8188b74de89e5f2.jpg2021122908204401.jpg.8a82708c9ff27a64c298d8de1109fab2.jpg2021122908204200.jpg.bef8152e978951dad43daf81e9e8f24c.jpg2021122908204402.jpg.c46f94ce3bcb3d74e009e28c32e4ea6d.jpg2021122908204201.jpg.c395b0b9de75cf781f48ea6b51cc06bf.jpg

prm.png.e84a445a401c97d42bdd000b83e7a355.png2021122908204405.jpg.c8d8db267db9ed0942f395f64e1cf1d8.jpg2021122908204302.jpg.fbf37e66d7efc95b8644223e725f9a20.jpg2021122908204303.jpg.90d540ef8c3ee3b65bd48077e88ef1d7.jpg2021122908204300.jpg.fa2f794a8a2ddd7ff61926f62aac7e34.jpg2021122908204500.jpg.67e312835a0f18d0faaa7642f6675af6.jpg

pm11.png.ee0de0144da3a7b5fc4880bf9a43aa54.png

Edit;
Added new Version.

Pyramap1.1.zip

Edited by Azuris

FINALLY i'm done with it jeez

map's called cursed cathedral, uses some custom monsters, custom sky (which i think i named wrong, sorry) and menu cursor (just for fun)

its udmf and made for pretty much gzdoom only and is the nicest looking thing ive made using vanilla textures so far i think

music: cursed cathedral by redngreen

no different difficulties are implemented

jumping not allowed, mouselook is very recommended (no mouselook might make getting all kills impossible)

backstory: local ruins get swallowed by meat and demons, scientists set up base, hilarity ensues

Screenshot_Doom_20211223_175804.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211228_194354.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211228_194421.png

Screenshot_Doom_20211228_194449.png

CursedCathedral.rar

Edited by eltiolavara9 : formatting + backstory + forgot to mention the sky was custom + FORGOT TO MENTION THE CURSOR WAS ALSO CUSTOM SORRY

@Biodegradable Thanks for the feedback and video! I'm relieved to see someone play it and enjoy it. I noticed in your video that one of the stairs permanently closes the door and stops you from backtracking and getting the other soulsphere - this is an issue that I had already fixed but apparently I didn't upload the latest version of my map, d'oh! The only difference in the versions is that door getting locked shut, now it requires a red key to backtrack through. I'm glad my 30 min jobbo is pleasant enough that you did two runs of it - very clean second run btw, good work.

Oh btw, the reason there's two soulspheres in that closet instead of one megasphere is because I was running short on time and I saw soulsphere in the Thing menu before megasphere so I plonked two of em down to save a precious few seconds.

I had missed out some crucial features in my map so I've updated my original post to include v1.2. I have added: skill levels, coop starts, coop monsters and weapons, DM starts and a separate DM map. I have also included a template with more info to hopefully make compiling a bit easier.

Edit: I just played your map @Bloxwess

I liked the parts I was able to see however I was unable to finish the map due to a lack of resources. There isn't enough ammo to clear the room in which you grab the blue key. This lead to the remaining monsters following me around from room to room and eventually blocking my escape and killing me. I managed to grab the red key and go into the maze room where you flip the switch but got stuck in there.

The AV 'puzzle' would work better if you had a means of killing the AVs if you mess up. At the moment, the only way to get past that room is to save/load until you find the right switch. Adding some health and ammo there would help a lot IMO.

I think the map needs more ammo and health overall. A bit more diverse lighting would help the visuals a fair bit. The second room would benefit from having the monster closets have darker lighting.

I would recommend playing through the map with IDDQD to make sure you have enough ammo to kill all the enemies. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product and I'll be sure to test it again when new versions are released (assuming they are).

Edited by xvertigox : added review

(Stole Salmon's template)

Name: ROOFILAND
Modes: Singleplayer , COOP (not tested) , DM (no interest)
Format: Vanilla
Testing: DosBox
Skill Levels: All implemented, I added Invulnerability + Megaspheres on HMP and HNTR but the monster count stays the same.
Freelook: Okay but not intended
Music: Luminous by Psyrus

Description : My tribute to the 1994 era.

Message for Obsidian : I replaced some Doom SFX  for fun but feel free to remove them if needed. The new ones come from "JCM Episode 2".

Instead of traditional screenshots, here is a video of me beating my own map.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Roofi

@Roofi I think you left an errant p1 start in your map. I tried to get past the start a few times before I checked your video to see how the fuck you managed to survive lol

Spoiler

BobYm0F.png

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

@Roofi I think you left an errant p1 start in your map. I tried to get past the start a few times before I checked your video to see how the fuck you managed to survive lol

Reveal hidden contents

BobYm0F.png

OOOps !

Yeah I forgot to remove this p1 start. It was just for testing something after I recorded my video.

So here is the v2 which corrects this.

DOWNLOAD

@Biodegradable  Thanks for playing through my map!  Looks like you didn't encounter any major bugs so that's reassuring.

As for the secrets, you almost found the last one!  The others, I guess I hid them better than I thought, they're not random walls, but one requires you to keep an ear out for a sound cue & the others require exploring to find switches hidden in unorthodox places.

I hope you had fun at least!  ^_^

Unfortunately I was (and still am) very busy with work and university, so I couldn't finish my map. Maybe next year!
Good luck to everyone else!

@Biodegradable

Would be really nice if you could find some Time to test my Map, forced some of my Cousins to do so, but experienced Players would help more :)

Name: Inferno's Cauldron
Modes: Singleplayer
Format: Boom
Testing: dsda-doom
Skill Levels: No
Freelook: idk 
Music: When The Sun Won't Rise Anymore by Thyrbse

Description : My tribute to HR2 map29 I made a couple of months ago, might as well submit it here since I scrapped my idea to make a hell-themed mapset. Uses OTEX textures (included in the wad with original names).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dct2xmyxb0kmax/cauldron_remake.wad?dl=0

Original thread:

DCpmwfH.png