Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I don’t know how I only just found out how monster stair climbing works. I always assumed, for some reason, that it was some weird complicated function of the monster’s size and the size of the step taken and the height of each step and…well I guess it could be made into one, but really it’s so much simpler.

No part of the monster can be more than 24px off the ground. That’s it. I wish I’d found this out earlier but it will make it easier in future to make stairs that arachnotrons and such can negotiate.

This is something i remember but some of you don't:

* in 2014 Sony set up a huge character mural to celebrate 20 years of Playstation and it had a bunch of characters slapped in: Doomguy was between Sweet Tooth of Twisted Metal and Spike from Ape Escape. this is the same mural that had so many questionable decisions such as: Some characters being refered to their game title as if it was their name, Tomba using fanart, 2 versions of Akuma, Megaman using his Smash 4 render, MGR Raiden being based off a figure instead of an actual game render etc.

* There was also one of those crossover live action ads for the PS4 with a cover of "Sweet Dreams" about some knight dude and the 2016 Cyberdemon shows up in the end. i think said ad also had a reference to Blanka of Street Fighter.

The first one may require heavy use of the wayback machine.

But yeah, both these are Playstation related.

Now imagine an alt timeline where Doomguy was in PSASBR and they base him off Doom 3 to advertise the BFG edition with little to no reference to the classic games lol.

One I just found out a few days ago: vanilla doom doesn't notify the player when they've triggered a secret! that was added in source ports.

Not quite Doom, but... I just noticed another obscure feature in Wolf3d, and it seems you can really do EVERYTHING there using JUST the keyboard, or JUST the mouse. The former may be obvious, but the latter?

• You can move your mouse to navigate menus, and click to select/go back. Okay, that's not super special.
  • On the text screens, you can move from page to page by using your mouse instead of pressing arrow keys or anything of the sort. That's a lot faster, which means you can include a 100-page novel with your wolf3d mod and still have it be easily navigable. Yay!
  • And finally, something I only found out just now... when you're in the save menu, entering the new name for your selected save slot... you can move your mouse vertically to move the cursor... and move your mouse vertically to toggle between characters. Just in case you don't have a keyboard, I guess? Mind blown.

There is one odd case in vanilla Doom where armor doesn't protect you from damage. If the player receives 1 damage (either splash damage or dehacked enemy damage) , this damage cannot be negated by armor with how Doom calculates how much damage armor negates. As Doom doesn't use decimals for stuff like health, ammo, armor or damage the player will always receive one damage, instead of 0,5 damage for blue armor (armor class 2) or 0,66 damage for green armor (armor class 1).

Created a thread for this until I just found this already existed,

but TNT seem to have gotten the name for their famous Final Doom iwad from a DIO song: 

andand

On 10/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, Pechudin said:

Oh damn, and I used the BooM light transfers for that. Nice to know for the future.

What's a light transfer? I didn't know it existed.

If I wait for the shooting animation to finish with the pistol when shooting, it will be more accurate

1 hour ago, Nefelibeta said:

What's a light transfer? I didn't know it existed.

Line action 261 and ... not sure what the other one is. Applies brightness of sector the linedef's front is pointing in to a desired sector. That's how you can have bright floor, but dark ceiling or vice-versa. You can do it vanilla as well, but this is the preferred BooM option.

You can also do things that are impossible to achieve in vanilla hacking, such as for example you can have monsters and items appear as dark silhouettes in a technically 0-light sector but with the floor and ceiling being brightly lit thanks to light transfers.

Player starts work even if you flag them as multiplayer only. 

Well, thanks to this thing I sent all my playtesters a broken map! 

On 1/6/2022 at 6:20 PM, spd7693 said:

Player starts work even if you flag them as multiplayer only. 

Well, thanks to this thing I sent all my playtesters a broken map! 

I'll only add, that Player starts work regardless of difficulty flags.

You can go back to the previous page in Doom's menu by pressing Backspace (by default). All this time I was pressing Escape and reopening the main menu...

I might have missed it in this thread if it’s already been mentioned, but I noticed the purple around a caco’s fireball and realized it’s one of four things with the color purple on it, the others being the invisibility sphere, the nightvision pickup, and Keen’s corpse.

Neat little detail considering how distracted I get by the rest of the colors in these timeless Doom games. It also further highlights how cacodemons are one of the most delightfully colorful enemies ever.

50 minutes ago, ItsNatureToDie said:

I Apologizes in advance if this is common knowledge or has been posted a bit back(weak search bar fu on my end): Although slightly edited, The Heavy Weapons Dude and the Arachnotron share the same gibs in their gibbly death frames. I thought it was a neat discovery. Figured I would share it. 

Fodder for decino's Interesting Findings About Doom's Monster Sprites part III.

This isn't necessarily about Doom but gzdoom. Specifically pk3 and pk7 files. pk3 is just a zip, and pk7 is 7z. And the easiest/laziest way to use a texturepack/mods in a map is to make a zip/7z file with the map wad and the texture/mod wad, and just rename the end. Then throw that at gzdoom and everything's working automagically.

Same way, I can have people download my zip or 7z with a map and texture pack, people can just throw that at gzdoom as is, and it'll work. Pretty darn cool, innit?

9 minutes ago, HrnekBezucha said:

This isn't necessarily about Doom but gzdoom. Specifically pk3 and pk7 files. pk3 is just a zip, and pk7 is 7z. And the easiest/laziest way to use a texturepack/mods in a map is to make a zip/7z file with the map wad and the texture/mod wad, and just rename the end. Then throw that at gzdoom and everything's working automagically.

Same way, I can have people download my zip or 7z with a map and texture pack, people can just throw that at gzdoom as is, and it'll work. Pretty darn cool, innit?

You can also drop the uncompressed working directory onto GZDoom - really useful during dev of a PK3 project.

IN the last few days I learned that in vanilla doom, if you have only the shotty and the super shotty (and no higher weapons,) and you run out of shells, then Doom changes to the pistol. This is obviously what happens. What is interesting is that if you pick up more shells, Doom auto switches you to the single shotty, and not the super shotty as I would have expected.

Don't know if this fits here, but:

In Scythe 2 - The Evil Marine (specifically the one from MAP16 - "Mr. X") is a reference to the SA-X enemy from "Metroid Fusion".

Pain elemental has a lost soul coming out of its mouth and another through its eye when it dies. I only noticed it through a smooth sprite animation since the lost souls are red (blending in with he pain elemental's inside) and only show for one or two frames originally.

There's no waterfall texture in doom 1 or doom 2. Could have sworn there was, but nope that's from final doom. Assumed it was in doom 2 to begin with so began making my first map I'm making right now with the assumption I would have it for later and could use the slime, blood, and waterfall textures freely. A month later (this map is too long and is suffering from it but cant just wrap it up) and I noticed the waterfall texture isn't there and isn't in doom 1 either. Had to pull the waterfall texture from plutonia and I assume I can't just pull all 4 of the animation frames for it and expect them to work so now I have a set of nonanimated waterfalls and I just gotta hope no one looks at them long enough to tell that.

[Turns out I was partially right, but technically wrong]

Edited by BaileyTW

5 hours ago, BaileyTW said:

I assume I can't just pull all 4 of the animation frames for it and expect them to work so now I have a set of nonanimated waterfalls and I just gotta hope no one looks at them long enough to tell that.

Actually, you’re in luck! The default exe has support for animated WFALL1-4 textures, so if you just plug those into your TEXTURE lump into run fine. :)