Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GCP

Top-down isometric view from a WAD file

On 12/17/2021 at 2:14 AM, Doomkid said:

Watching demo playback in this kind of perspective is probably a pipe dream, but damn I'd love that.

I saw a YT video of someone doing that on UV max demos but can't remember the title and uploader. Couldn't find it in search so I wonder if the vid is available at all.

I cannot make it to draw custom textures from the pwads. Do I have to check some things in the options section?

3 hours ago, Argenteo said:

I cannot make it to draw custom textures from the pwads. Do I have to check some things in the options section?

Hm... no, textures should work just so, no changes in options needed. 

Do you mean textures as in "walls" or flats as in "floors"?

If the texture is encoded the standard way, should work fine, same goes for flats. As for the non-standrd ways, in the recent code update I have added support for "texture-as-flat" and "non-64x64 flat" too. "PNG as flat" is still not supported though - might be that.

Do you mind sharing what the pWAD it was, to have a look?

1 hour ago, GCP said:

Do you mind sharing what the pWAD it was, to have a look?

Sure, It's Invasion L2. Here's the output scaled down (12 mb to <1):

k6kYjWxh.png

I'm on mac, installed python3 -> pip -> numpy. 

Another failed try on DoomCity:

tGtGxb3h.png

I love those maps. I want those pictures :) .  Maybe reinstalling all over? Later I will try again.

Hm.. I can't say I see the problem. Is there some texture that looks wrong? I haven't played those maps, but looks fine to me.

Forgot to mention it. There are no custom textures in my images. These are some screenshots from Doomcity.wad

awDqFx0l.png

NcJ6pqul.png

And these are from Invasion2.wad

hZ5WvDEl.png

b10zgv8l.png

5DAAKqfl.png

By the way I checked out your images folder and ETERNAL M4 looks awesome.

I'm not a mapper so I understand maybe half of what you say of non-standard ways. These two wads are from early 90's and vanilla compatible.

Alright, I have figured it out. You found a bug, sir.

So, when I was so confidently saying that the program supports custom textures, what I should have said was: "It only supports NEW custom textures, but if you try to replace patches for existing textures, the program will totaly ignore it".

The bug is fixed now, new version on the GitHub.

This is what DoomCity looks like now (fragment):

925844876_DOOMCITY-MAP01-Copy.png.2d6056e8ccbd32a2b357677a955265df.png

Thanks for finding this, let me know if you find something esle that doesn't work right.

Man, a tool like this would be excellent for the Wiki, a zoomed out shot with a one or two focused shots of really notable areas would give the reader a great idea about a level.

Hey there! I'm loving this, thank you for making and sharing it! I don't know how to do Python myself so like some others I'll be waiting for a possible GUI release in the future. Good luck with all the work on this and all your other projects!

5 hours ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Hey there! I'm loving this, thank you for making and sharing it! I don't know how to do Python myself so like some others I'll be waiting for a possible GUI release in the future. Good luck with all the work on this and all your other projects!

Thanks! Currently, there is a simple CLI options, which is almost as easy to use as GUI. Basically, if you know how to use a command prompt (Win+R, then "cmd" in Windows), you already have all the knowledge you'll need. Details in the readme file on GitHub.

Technically, GUI version will not make it much easier - it will still require all the installation of Python and additional modules. Standalone EXE version will mamke it easier, but so far I've been unsuccessful.

HacX working right!

Need to figure out how to rotate to take some cyberspace shots. Any clue?

B47N96J.png

nuleTg6.png

This is a sick utility, nicely done @GCP!

Do you accept PRs? I have some experience in freezing python scripts into executables.

16 hours ago, Argenteo said:

Need to figure out how to rotate to take some cyberspace shots. Any clue?

I am checking out Wiki Page about HacX. It is an iWAD, not pWAD, right? Cool if it works, I actually haven't tested other iWADs beyond classic ones.

As for the rotation, you need yo use options for that. In python it would go something like this:

import wad2pic

options = {"rotate": 210}

wad2pic.wad2pic("HACX.WAD", "MAP01", options=options)

Second line is where you set the rotation, in degrees, clockwise (when you don't use options, the default is 30, that's what you have now, so 210 would show the other side)

Third line - the same as whatever you have now, just add options=options as the last parameter.

14 hours ago, beast said:

Do you accept PRs? I have some experience in freezing python scripts into executables.

So far I gave it a quick try, but whatever I was using didn't work with CLI module or something. So I gave up for now.

I still have some ideas to implement for the main part, I'll probably get back to GUI and EXE after that.

Meanwhile, if you can help with a quick and dirty executable for current version, sure, let add that too, send a PR. I totally agree using exe file is way more convenient for most users. Python is popular, but maybe not that popular.

Got the rotation by changing the value on wad2pic.py directly. (30, 120, 210, 300).

Next time I'll play with the other parameters there.

4b7o10S.png

Some pics from Nemisis.wad from different angles:

vZEOWMUh.jpg

iKxjoKrh.jpg

TcANPAch.jpg

9ORUnBph.png

Ingame pic:

K6moLuqh.jpg

This is awesome. Next time I do a map and need to do screenies I'll defo use it. Shame those extra options can't be used from the command line yet.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:10 AM, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

But command line is your fren :D (and tab completion is the fren of command line :D )

@GCP I sent a PR. It packages the script up with a stand-alone Python interpreter. I can provide a build too if you don't have access to a Win machine to freeze it yourself.

14 hours ago, NeilJohnRips said:

Shame those extra options can't be used from the command line yet

I took liberty of implementing all options as POSIX compliant command line arguments. I just need to tidy it up and will send a PR to @GCP and hopefully it passes muster :)

1 hour ago, beast said:

@GCP I sent a PR. It packages the script up with a stand-alone Python interpreter. I can provide a build too if you don't have access to a Win machine to freeze it yourself.

I took liberty of implementing all options as POSIX compliant command line arguments. I just need to tidy it up and will send a PR to @GCP and hopefully it passes muster :)

Thanks, man!

Merged, tested, works fine (it did trigger a warning from Avast, but what can we do). I zipped it all up and uploaded the executable.

Yeah, if you can add proper POSIX-compliant support for CLI - that'd be great. Let me know if you have any questions.

To be honest, I haven't done CLI interfaces before, so I put together a quick and dirty one with just basic features.

43 minutes ago, GCP said:

Thanks, man!

Merged, tested, works fine (it did trigger a warning from Avast, but what can we do). I zipped it all up and uploaded the executable.

Yeah, if you can add proper POSIX-compliant support for CLI - that'd be great. Let me know if you have any questions.

To be honest, I haven't done CLI interfaces before, so I put together a quick and dirty one with just basic features.

Looking forward to this!

So, uh, about that Windows executable. Why does it seem to only work with Doom and not with Doom 2? Because whenever I try to make a pic out of a Doom 2 wad using the provided executable (and following the instructions like a good boy) it only shows me an error. Or is this just a me problem again?

7 hours ago, thiccyosh said:

So, uh, about that Windows executable. Why does it seem to only work with Doom and not with Doom 2? Because whenever I try to make a pic out of a Doom 2 wad using the provided executable (and following the instructions like a good boy) it only shows me an error. Or is this just a me problem again?

Hm... it should work. Can you share the command you use and which pWAD it is?

So far I can only think of couple of things:

- This filesnames in the command line are case sensitive, so it has to be "DOOM2.WAD" for the Doom2's iWAD.

- Also, although most of the pWADs work, there are some here and there that can trigger an error, need to look into such particular wad.

12 hours ago, beast said:

POSIX update merged, new executable generated. Thanks a lot! 

Thanks for documenting the usage, looks great. Copying it here for the reference:

wad2pic
Generates an isometric image of a Doom level.

Usage:
  wad2pic <iwad> <map> [<pwad>] [options]
  wad2pic (-h | --license | --version)

Options:
  -h --help                 Show this help text.
  --version                 Print current program version.
  --license                 Print the license.
  -m SIZE, --margin=SIZE    Pad the output image with SIZE margins.
                            [default: 300]
  -g AMT, --gamma=AMT       Gamma correct the final map with AMT.
                            Amounts < 1 will lighten the image 
                            and > 1 will darken.
                            [default: 0.7]
  -cx K, --coefx=K          X scaling of walls (relative to actual width).
                            [default: 0]
  -cy K, --coefy=K          Y scaling of walls (relative to actual height).
                            [default: .8]
  -r DEG, --rotate=DEG      Rotate DEGREES clockwise. 0 for no rotation.
                            [default: 30]
  --iso FACTOR              Adjust the isometric Y scale by FACTOR,
                            usually in the range of [0.5 - 0.9].
                            Set to 1 for no scaling.
                            [default: 0.8]
  --zstyle                  Use zDoom new linedef format 
                            (similar to Hexen format).
  --quiet                   Supress detailed messages during generation.
  --debug                   Print program stack trace in case of error.

Windows executable is here: https://github.com/gamescomputersplay/wad2pic/releases/tag/v1.0

Edited by GCP : added the link to exe

1 hour ago, GCP said:

Can you share the command you use and which pWAD it is?

For the Pwad, it is this map that I made https://wadhosting.com/Wad/966F77E57D9218D82AF655FE94AAEFE2F7485B16

As for the command, it is the exact same one you've written on github ( wad2pic {iWADname} {MapName} {pWADName} , in this case:  .\wad2pic Doom2.wad Map32 Baronsdeep.wad )

Keep in mind I carefully followed the instructions and ran the executable through Powershell. Strangely enough it works for the Doom 1 Iwad and it made a correct picture of E1M1 and a custom Pwad. Which makes it more of a mystery of why it doesn't want to work with this one. Case sensitivity is also a no, believe me, I tried every combo from doom2 to DooM2.wad.

24 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

For the Pwad, it is this map that I made https://wadhosting.com/Wad/966F77E57D9218D82AF655FE94AAEFE2F7485B16

As for the command, it is the exact same one you've written on github ( wad2pic {iWADname} {MapName} {pWADName} , in this case:  .\wad2pic Doom2.wad Map32 Baronsdeep.wad )

Keep in mind I carefully followed the instructions and ran the executable through Powershell. Strangely enough it works for the Doom 1 Iwad and it made a correct picture of E1M1 and a custom Pwad. Which makes it more of a mystery of why it doesn't want to work with this one. Case sensitivity is also a no, believe me, I tried every combo from doom2 to DooM2.wad.

Have you tried MAP32 instead of Map32?

6 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Have you tried MAP32 instead of Map32?

Yes I have tried that too, did not work either. Every combo like map32 or mapthirtytwo doesn't want to work too.

6 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

Yes I have tried that too, did not work either. Every combo like map32 or mapthirtytwo doesn't want to work too.

Worked for me with:

wad2pic DOOM2.WAD MAP32 Baronsdeep.wad

- not sure if there are different versions, but I think Doom2's iWAD is "DOOM2.WAD" - all caps both name and extension. You have the file in the folder too, right?

- @Andromeda is right, map names are also case-sensitive and have to be all caps: "MAP32"

- your pWAD name had a space in it, but if I understand correctly, you renamed it and removed the space, right?

Also, if you use the latest (as of the last hour) version, you can add --debug in the end and it will show a more detailed error message.

Baronsdeep-MAP32.jpg.22d3cb190c901de7e4fe60eea389de84.jpg

10 minutes ago, GCP said:

map names are also case-sensitive and have to be all caps: "MAP32"

It's always those pesky case sensitive commands and this was the only one I did not try. Well it's fixed now. Thank you :)

Note: Perhaps mention that aspect on Github as a footnote. This isn't foolproofed enough for people like me.

Hello everybody!

An update on new features for WAD2PIC.

1. Maps outside of standard level names are now supported (from "E5M1" and "MAP33" to whatever).

2. PNG flats and textures (and patches) are now supported.

To showcase, here are some samples from a WAD that has both of those: Dark Tartarus. It has level names TATnn and quite a few PNG textures.

TAT01: Arch Bridge

Tartaru5-TAT01.jpg.bbc4d9690d4db2e8300b767d1bfd9146.jpg
TAT06: WOW:Finished

(I actually get the reference!)

Tartaru5-TAT06.jpg.9ee387eb1501b625e336c05562879d49.jpg
TAT20: Frozen Throne

Tartaru5-TAT20.jpg.f41a291a22ff7d45bec48e51c34fe9da.jpg
TAT21: The Killer's Breed

Tartaru5-TAT21.jpg.3c18488da60c727cef50a9e28d690cfc.jpg
TAT31: Return to Wolfenstein

Tartaru5-TAT31.jpg.abf53ecc062898f4c1b5c889ea0df6eb.jpg
TAT43: Lock N' Load

Tartaru5-TAT43.jpg.09fcd5a7d8756a4f7f8769bbf57ebb96.jpg

(I haven't played it but these seem really interesting, how come it didn't get a Cacoward?)