Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

xGreed - Source Port of the game "In Pursuit of Greed"

I playing with pleasure, thank you very much! =)

While in Cap Lock mode (always run on) pressing shift should inverse it back to walk. (minor)

Slope that change their angle probably should be updated every tic as lifts (minor)

Weapon bobbing choppy, maybe possible make smooth too? (minor)

Walk and run bobbing like in demo version (minor)

walls always bright - in dos versions its shaded by dark fog like in doom
save load bug while opened door -  also happens in dos version, when you save game with opened doors and load it back - you will see it closed, and you can reopen them or they can be stuck but you pass trough texture.

21 hours ago, Kityn said:

Screen Size resets to 0 every time I restart the game.

20 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

While in Cap Lock mode (always run on) pressing shift should inverse it back to walk. (minor)

Weapon bobbing choppy, maybe possible make smooth too? (minor)

Walk and run bobbing like in demo version (minor)

5 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

walls always bright - in dos versions its shaded by dark fog like in doom

All the above fixed in 1.1.5.42

What's new:

• Fixed problem with defaults not saved correctly to the ini file.
  • Pressing SHIFT in autorun mode moves the player without running.
  • Smooth weapon and player view bobbing. Bobbing can be turned on and off from Launcher.
  • Fixed walls always bright bug.
  • Use 64 bit arithmetic to avoid some glitches.

Wall Shading:

20211218-184857215.png

Added in TODO list:

• Smooth slopes changing angle
  • Save door state in savegame (and elevator direction as I noticed)

The above requests can not be done at the time, the first needs more investigation, and the second needs many changes to save/load game procedures. I'm not that familiar with the source to start working on these right now.. Note that both requests will affect compatibility of saved games with previous releases.

Does/will Xgreed support the Assassinators rebrand of the game?

I've got a disc of it in storage and am wondering if it's worth digging it out?

EDIT: My apologies for repeating a question already asked and answered earlier in the thread.

Edited by Vermil

Thank you very much!!! ))

tested and can report:

in launcger still can't save, maybe its my pc problem, anyone else can confirm? :

hud size not saves
skip intro not saves
sfx  not saves
music  not saves
custom not saves

in game itself:

strafing is without bobbing its actually original dos game bug

and probably "crusher" or lift that should smash you on ceiling or floor - does not kill you , but push you to view outside map, actually you can escape, its not confirmed in full version , but in demo it behaves that way.

sometimes when you fall of edge you can view outside map.

27 minutes ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

Thank you very much!!! ))

tested and can report:

in launcger still can't save, maybe its my pc problem, anyone else can confirm? : 

hud size not saves
sfx  not saves
music  not saves

Fixed. Tested and defaults are saved correctly now.

32 minutes ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

skip intro not saves

It's not saveable parameter, it's a command line parameter, run 'xgreed nointro" at the command prompt or shortcut to disable intro.

in game itself: 

strafing is without bobbing its actually original dos game bug

It is build this way, I was a bit surprised the other day while making changes to bobbing that the original source code does not use strafe movement to calculate the bob, instead it uses only the forward move. Head bobing in the orginal source code exists, but it is incomplete, it does the necessary calculations for the head bobing, but it does not apply them on screen, mayby because of a vr-headset  support it had.

and probably "crusher" or lift that should smash you on ceiling or floor - does not kill you , but push you to view outside map, actually you can escape, its not confirmed in full version , but in demo it behaves that way.

sometimes when you fall of edge you can view outside map.

The same behavior is and at the DOS game:

image.png.ee312c3f779d0145ec05c2d116c2f900.png

Feature request: hold right click (or other button/key) to look up & down (free look on demand).

thank you) !

another founded bugs, while i played it:

if you enter in quit of menu and press Y so quickly it will not quit , only need to wait while confirm box stop animate.

Also nice ideas if possible is add character select and difficulty select when you use no intro checkbox, or do not start game and take me to main menu =)

mouse looking by Y axis is not so responsible, X much better handled thanks god)

Also i agree with ReaperAA about Jump on space and e for use.

And don't forget to add in to do list : strafe and turn or mouse move blocks movement

thank you very much ) i very liked this game now

maybe also check box for autorun

reproduce door bus - for example choose episode 2 , open first doors, wait while it fully opened, start new game - and you will see it closed - its okay - but when you come closer you can pass trough texture without opening them, i think here is good point to test save load also.

Edited by WhiteMagicRaven

Great stuff so far, though I'll hang out for the ability to strafe and turn simultaneously before I play seriously. Keep it up!

Another ideas:

Blood sprites animation can be smoothed? i mean falling down and flows on walls.

and already you know but it looks funny =)

if you save game on lift when it fully downed and load it the engine loads lift on top most state, and while you in bottom it start pushing you slowly up on top of lift, during this process you can see all sprites on this level on black background =)

Update ver 1.1.7

What's new:

• Fixed problem with memory corruption while freeing resources. This could eliminate crashes like this.
  • Added -nobriefing command line parameter. Now the -nointro command line parameter will only skip intro. With the -nobriefing will also skip briefings/intermissions
  • Mechanics for fixing problems in known lumps. ***
  • Smooth interpolation for projectiles and other objects. Added "interpolate" default. Can be set by the launcher.
On 12/27/2021 at 9:48 PM, WhiteMagicRaven said:

flowing items that spawns on spawn point can be smoothed i guess

Unfortunately this can be corrected only with additional data and artistic work, since the animation is accomplished not with movement in z axis but with sprite sequences: 

item.gif.8c30a30b296b73f0b4c6b14a36eeca03.gif

So far corrected one sprite:

This:

Spoiler

pst-old.png

To this:

Spoiler

pst-new.png

You do not need to modify any data of the game for the correction, it is done automatically at runtime (does not modify the data - GREED.BLO file)

Spoiler

I lost a couple of hours assuming that the glitch was from bad code, but then I looked the data file, and, what a surprise....

There is no status after completion first level (status like in doom when you finish map, before new one)

The dos version require's to visit more rooms than source port, it not confirmed but feels like  in source port game has a less object to collect. 

stuck , sometimes after killing enemy their placement unpassable
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnergeticAssiduousPigeonBCWarrior-LrGJ2eAQF3gF2FQK
https://clips.twitch.tv/RealOddFrogPupper-ddK4NEDqUTS2nGSn

flying blood
https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyInspiringHerbsImGlitch-qxtliTNFcN_3949V

extra volume?
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoxyEmpathicKuduAMPEnergy-ypwjbjXVghFJNYQF

unkillable
https://clips.twitch.tv/TangiblePolishedWatercressPastaThat-RKEN3-Nm5qiZlrBM

Update 1.1.8.46

What's new:

• Fixed problem with not displaying intermission after exiting level.
  • Fixed bug in spawning exit. It was using wrong conditions and there was a chance to be misplaced.
  • Fixed interpolation with the S_BLOODSPLAT sprite on moving slopes.
  • Fixed clipping problems with dead enemies.
  • Fixed un-hitable enemies.
18 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

There is no status after completion first level (status like in doom when you finish map, before new one)

Fixed!

The dos version require's to visit more rooms than source port, it not confirmed but feels like  in source port game has a less object to collect. 

The exit appears when the point to end level comes to 0, the items have the same points (unchanged). I'll check again for sure.

Fixed, it was a problem that occurred from the sprite interpolation.

Fixed!

I wasn't able to detect where the problem occurs, the sound code is minimum in xGreed since it uses an external library. Added to my TODO list.

Fixed, it was a problem that occurred from the sprite interpolation too!

while lift going down can't jump. in dos version its possible

uninterpolated sprite movements on lifts
https://clips.twitch.tv/PiercingConsiderateCroquetteCoolStoryBro-kpsKc-hthPH5sH-9

not correct ceil collision
https://clips.twitch.tv/ProudVivaciousKumquatMVGame-rhntcDaU94sufONw

game crashed after recycling my self in episode 3 map 2 just once i think
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmericanExquisiteDonutTBTacoRight--_oUM8xMm9EGgwRX

Happy new year!

Version 1.1.10.51 is available with many fixes.

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgreed/files/xGreed%201.1/xGreed_1.1.10.51_bin.zip/download

What's new:

• Fixed sprite interpolation on lifts.
  • Player can now jump when lift is going down.
  • Attempt to reduce disappearing sloped ceilings by tessellating sloped polygons. Improved results but still not perfect.
  • Fixed sky drawing to match vanilla proportions.
  • Slightly increased number of maximum spans.
  • Added the "lowresolution" default, when true it will start at 320x200 screen resolution, otherwise it will start at 640x400 (default). It can be set by the launcher.
  • Added new cheats :)

I've updated the 1st port with the cheats (both from the original game and the new ones).

On 12/31/2021 at 2:58 PM, WhiteMagicRaven said:

while lift going down can't jump. in dos version its possible

Fixed

Fixed

I thing that it is not ceiling collision but rather problem with the minimum view z/polygon clipping. I tried to correct the issue but without full success. Still this version is improved.

game crashed after recycling my self in episode 3 map 2 just once i think
https://clips.twitch.tv/AmericanExquisiteDonutTBTacoRight--_oUM8xMm9EGgwRX

I tried it 4-5 times but it didn't crashed. Do you have a saved game just before the crash?

Edited by jval

21 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

any updates?

Currently I'm working on other projects. Updates will come after requests or necessities (e.g. serious bug).

I tried playing but it's continuously crashing after some minutes inside the maps :(

Edited by Peludo

2 hours ago, Peludo said:

I tried playing but it's continuously crashing after some minutes inside a map :(

Can you give me some more information? Does it crash with some message? Which map, what settings, the contents of data folder, crc32 of GREED.BLO? What hardware? Any messages in xGreed_stdout.txt file?

11 hours ago, jval said:

Can you give me some more information? Does it crash with some message? Which map, what settings, the contents of data folder, crc32 of GREED.BLO? What hardware? Any messages in xGreed_stdout.txt file?

It shows a box "In pursuit of Greed stopped working" and then the only thing you can do is close the game, this is appearing on the first map of the first episode and while i am writing this i tested the game again today to check if there was an erro message and strangely the game worked fine, i didn't crash at all and i was able to go to the second map, i stayed in the second map for some minutes to check if it was going to crash and it didn't seem like that so i closed and opened the source port again and then it crashed just like yesterday, you play for some minutes and while you are progressing, almost in the middle of the map, a crash suddenly appears so you have to close

Settings:

Spoiler

dsfdsfsdf.png.b13650cdd5f7667883c9ac9a4d91217d.png

Screenshot of the folder?

Spoiler

folder.png.ce2f143b2cf9abde582a05cc40f7b8af.png

Sorry, i didn't understand the "crc32 of GREED.BLO" question..

Hardware:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bits

Inteo Xeon E3 1230 V2

12GB DDR3 1333MHz

SSD KINGSTON SA400S37240G (system and programs)

HDD TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 (all the rest of the files including the folder with Greed and source port)

B75 Intel

GTX 960

Message in xGreed_stdout.txt file:

Spoiler

Starting xGreed version 1.1.10.51
I_InitGraphics: Initialize directdraw.
I_FindWindowSize: Set window size at (1366, 768)
Success
M_InitMouse: Initializing Mouse
 Mouse installedRF_PreloadGraphics()..........Done!
RF_Startup().....Done!
LoadMiscData().......Done!
Bullets picked up!

I never played this game throughly, only the demo version that had a completly different map, it was a good feeling along with other "clones of Doom", i was going to beat the game but there was no audio when i tried with Dosbox, somewhat i ended up finding about your source port on Youtube, before i tried your sourceport i was messing up with the setup.exe through DosBox, inside the game folder, i was messing with it trying to set the sound of the game to work on Dosbox, is there any chance i messing with the DOS setup of the game could be the cause of the crashes of the source port?

Edited by Peludo

I haven't tested xGreed in Windows 8.1, but you can try:

• Search "Action center" in Windows 8.1 search. Select "Troubleshooting/Find and fix problems" and then select "Programs" and follow the instructions.
  • Try playing in Low resolution (select 320x200 in Launcher)

Sorry, i didn't understand the "crc32 of GREED.BLO" question..

It's the checksum of the main data file. If you have a zip archive with the data file then if you open it with a program like WinRAR it displays it's checksum. It is to ensure that you have a correct data file and it is not corrupted/modified. E.g.

image.png.7a5d57e4a06830de8d9dffc002330279.png

I never played this game throughly, only the demo version that had a completly different map, it was a good feeling along with other "clones of Doom", i was going to beat the game but there was no audio when i tried with Dosbox, somewhat i ended up finding about your source port on Youtube, before i tried your sourceport i was messing up with the setup.exe through DosBox, inside the game folder, i was messing with it trying to set the sound of the game to work on Dosbox, is there any chance i messing with the DOS setup of the game could be the cause of the crashes of the source port?

No, the DOS setup files are not used.

I did what you told me, i marked the option Low resolution (320x200), i cheked it 3x already, no crashes. It seems this worked somehow..

Just two more things:

Is there any way to customize controls? I'm jumping with the keybind "E" and it's very confusing since i always use it to open doors on FPS games..

When i am moving, strifing left or right, i can't turn around, move my aim, i can only do one thing at the time, is this normal?

On 3/3/2022 at 8:39 PM, Peludo said:

Is there any way to customize controls? I'm jumping with the keybind "E" and it's very confusing since i always use it to open doors on FPS games..

You must manually edit the xgreed.ini file and ENTER the value of the bt_jump & bt_use setting. In WASD mode the bt_jump has a value of 18 that maps to the "E" key and bt_use has a value of 57 that maps to the SPACE key. 

Key codes:

Spoiler

ENTER    28
ESCAPE    1
SPACE    57
BACKSPACE    14
TAB    15
ALT    56
CONTROL    29
CAPSLOCK    58
NUMLOCK    69
SCROLLLOCK    70
LSHIFT    42
RSHIFT    54
UPARROW    72
DOWNARROW    80
LEFTARROW    75
RIGHTARROW    77
INSERT    82
DELETE    83
PRINTSCREEN    84
HOME    71
END    79
PGUP    73
PGDN    81
TILDA    41
COMMA    51
PERIOD    52
F1    59
F2    60
F3    61
F4    62
F5    63
F6    64
F7    65
F8    66
F9    67
F10    68
F11    217
F12    218
1    2
2    3
3    4
4    5
5    6
6    7
7    8
8    9
9    10
0    11
A    30
B    48
C    46
D    32
E    18
F    33
G    34
H    35
I    23
J    36
K    37
L    38
M    50
N    49
O    24
P    25
Q    16
R    19
S    31
T    20
U    22
V    47
W    17
X    45
Y    21
Z    44
MINUS    12
PLUS    13

When i am moving, strifing left or right, i can't turn around, move my aim, i can only do one thing at the time, is this normal?

This is how the original DOS source code behaves. 

Version 1.1.11.52 is available.

Downloadhttps://sourceforge.net/projects/xgreed/files/xGreed%201.1/xGreed_1.1.11.52_bin.zip/download

What's new:

• Strafe and mouse look at the same time
  • Waits for the quit menu to come in place before gathering Y/N response from user
  • Higher static limits to prevent rare crash posibility
On 12/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, Kinsie said:

Great stuff so far, though I'll hang out for the ability to strafe and turn simultaneously before I play seriously. Keep it up!

2 hours ago, WhiteMagicRaven said:

the one major problem is unability to use strafing with mouse movement at same time.

mouse turning blocks keyboard strafing 

Fixed as requested!

Excellent! Mouse look feels really weird, though - here I am just sliding my mouse to the side - and sometimes it feels like I can't strafe left for a second even when there's nothing blocking me.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, there's definitely some weird stuff with the new strafing. Hold Strafe right and circle-strafe around, then maintain your circle while switching to Strafe Left and you'll keep strafing right even with the other key pressed.

Edited by Kinsie