Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur

GOLDEN AXE DOOM! COMBAT/TUTORIAL MAP UPDATE! 1.4 (DEMO)

Just now, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

not possible

pain but I might just get a copy of gzdoom cause im fond of sega genesis games

Okay I really like the idea but... I don't want to swear...

But why the FUCK did you disable strafing??? This is literally unplayable in the current version. This glitch happens to everyone who has Always Run on.

After like 20 seconds fix in Slade (decorate.player, for every player class defintion in value Player.SideMove change "0.75, 0" to "0.75, 1" ) this is actually really promising! Obviously really janky, but hey, it's a demo, it's to be expected. I think the combat is actually more fun than e.g. in Action Doom 2, another attempt at making a beatemup in Doom, so that's a really good start. And I think the levels look really nice and polished.

Problems I noticed:

• while playing as Tyris Flare, during some combo that I did accidentally she looked straight down. I don't know why it happened and it was really disorienting, this happened several times. I think this would be especially rough on people with motion sickness
  • in first level, if you fall down a bridge or down the well, there's no way to get out aside from noclip. Either there should be a way out, or it should kill the player.
  • in the second level, I couldn't find the switch to open the giant gate past the village. I noclipped past it, just to be met with second gate at temple entrance. Noclipped past it too, just to open a pathway to the bridge that seemed to lead nowhere aside from a dark pit. When I jumped into the pit, I was teleported out. Maybe I broke some triggers by noclipping earlier, idk.

Still - the graphics, the style, the combat and the premise are all really cool and I think this mod has a huge potential. I will definitely be looking forward to this one!

For the record - the issue with your code for strafing for Player.SideMove was that the second value is modifier for running speed. You set it to zero, so running while strafing stands still. This means that everyone like me who has Always Run on can't strafe at all unless they hold Shift to walk, which is probably a bad idea and feels awful. (And obviously you cannot expect people to change their game settings for one mod).

If you just don't want player to Always Run at all, simply set the running modifier to 0.5 for ForwardMove and SideMove for all classes, and that will simply disable running. So it'd look something like

Player.ForwardMove 0.75, 0.5
Player.SideMove 0.75, 0.5

Edited by Shino1

Right on dude, I think I've seen you hint at this project a couple times on here. 
Congrats on getting a demo out, gonna play it right now.

3 hours ago, Shino1 said:

Okay I really like the idea but... I don't want to swear...

But why the FUCK did you disable strafing??? This is literally unplayable in the current version. This glitch happens to everyone who has Always Run on.

After like 20 seconds fix in Slade (decorate.player, for every player class defintion in value Player.SideMove change "0.75, 0" to "0.75, 1" ) this is actually really promising! Obviously really janky, but hey, it's a demo, it's to be expected. I think the combat is actually more fun than e.g. in Action Doom 2, another attempt at making a beatemup in Doom, so that's a really good start. And I think the levels look really nice and polished.

Problems I noticed:

• while playing as Tyris Flare, during some combo that I did accidentally she looked straight down. I don't know why it happened and it was really disorienting, this happened several times. I think this would be especially rough on people with motion sickness
  • in first level, if you fall down a bridge or down the well, there's no way to get out aside from noclip. Either there should be a way out, or it should kill the player.
  • in the second level, I couldn't find the switch to open the giant gate past the village. I noclipped past it, just to be met with second gate at temple entrance. Noclipped past it too, just to open a pathway to the bridge that seemed to lead nowhere aside from a dark pit. When I jumped into the pit, I was teleported out. Maybe I broke some triggers by noclipping earlier, idk.

Still - the graphics, the style, the combat and the premise are all really cool and I think this mod has a huge potential. I will definitely be looking forward to this one!

For the record - the issue with your code for strafing for Player.SideMove was that the second value is modifier for running speed. You set it to zero, so running while strafing stands still. This means that everyone like me who has Always Run on can't strafe at all unless they hold Shift to walk, which is probably a bad idea and feels awful. (And obviously you cannot expect people to change their game settings for one mod).

If you just don't want player to Always Run at all, simply set the running modifier to 0.5 for ForwardMove and SideMove for all classes, and that will simply disable running. So it'd look something like

Player.ForwardMove 0.75, 0.5
Player.SideMove 0.75, 0.5

because you are supposed to have AUTO RUN OFF

it literally says in the READ ME and CONTROLS to have auto run off

and yes I know, it was done on purpose

Definitely a project after my own heart.  I'll give this new version a try. The first version I couldn't find my way past the fallen bridge on map01

EDIT-  There is literally nowhere to go past the broken bridge on Map01.  I am hardcore not seeing the correct pathing here which is really bizarre. Specifically down in the water area.

Edited by kalensar : needed to add info

1 hour ago, kalensar said:

Definitely a project after my own heart.  I'll give this new version a try. The first version I couldn't find my way past the fallen bridge on map01

EDIT-  There is literally nowhere to go past the broken bridge on Map01.  I am hardcore not seeing the correct pathing here which is really bizarre. Specifically down in the water area.

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_181501.png

That is cryptic as hades dude. No way in heck does it look like the way at all. Heres a video showing me playing, My suggestion is either do a damaging floor on the water or put up an invisible wall. A death from going the wrong way down a hole in Golden Axe is perfectly acceptable, but soft locks are universally just bad design.

57 minutes ago, kalensar said:

That is cryptic as hades dude. No way in heck does it look like the way at all. Heres a video showing me playing, My suggestion is either do a damaging floor on the water or put up an invisible wall. A death from going the wrong way down a hole in Golden Axe is perfectly acceptable, but soft locks are universally just bad design.

There is nothing cryptic about it.

there is no soft locks, you just have to look longer than 20 seconds.

nobody else has had this problem

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215117.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215102.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215107.png

5 hours ago, kalensar said:

Here, I will show a tutorial to help u

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215616.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215621.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215627.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215631.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220130_215642.png

I just beat map01 after seeing the waterfall staircase.

On the case of my playtest: I ere on the side of caution, especially when that Dirt Jump Stairs literally is not the obvious thing you think it is. It was definitely player error in this case, but the narrow placement of the ledges, and the fact that the first step is above View plane with steep and narrow contouring did not help it's case at all of being easy to see.

Now with that gripe aside, everything else is pretty dang fun and I shall probably enjoy the rest of the demo.

-----

Hi, I'm Kalensar. I'm a volunteer playtester here at Doomworld with a love of playing vanilla and mods. My main forte is GZDoom custom mods because I have made a lot of them. My list of works include Eday Vanilla 2019, Brutal Freedoom GZD, Castlevania 3 for Simon's Destiny (The unnofficial addon for Simon's Destiny), PRD: PrettyRetroDoom, DOZ- Doomed Over Zelda, Heretic Heroes- NES Heroes and Hexes, and FEAR in Doom GZD.

I'm reviewing Golden Axe TC for doom today. I find that it has a pleasing aesthetic for any fan of the original game of the same name. The music is ripped straight from the original game soundtrack, and everything else is set to be fairly close. The Hit Detection is a bit better than it may seem at first just as long as you are next to the enemies and pointed at them. Dodging is tricky, and I wouldn't recommend jump attacks, but jumping does make a good dodging tactic. The Combat is overall very flavorful and everything makes it feel like a nostalgic B-Day gift. Very good job, and I can't wait to play the finished TC.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:22 PM, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

because you are supposed to have AUTO RUN OFF

it literally says in the READ ME and CONTROLS to have auto run off

and yes I know, it was done on purpose

1. I have never heard anyone call "Always Run" - "Auto Run". Autorun generally refers to like, an option to automatically start an application or a removable drive like a CD or DVD.

2. Asking someone to change their settings for one mod is a terrible idea - GZDoom does not use different config files for different mods, so turning off Always Run for one mod will turn it off for ALL mods. I am used to playing with Always Run so I'm... not doing that.

3. If you don't want players to run, the correct way to implement this would be to configure the game to disable running. Again, this requires simply setting the running speed modifier to 0.5 instead of 0.

4. You seem really unnecessarily hostile to player feedback. I also missed that ledge near the bridge and spent like 10 minutes looking around. Something should be done to make it clear that this is the intended way - use a brightly colored texture, something that draws attention (item? enemy? decoration), use lighting, maybe put steps in front of it?

12 hours ago, Shino1 said:

1. I have never heard anyone call "Always Run" - "Auto Run". Autorun generally refers to like, an option to automatically start an application or a removable drive like a CD or DVD.

2. Asking someone to change their settings for one mod is a terrible idea - GZDoom does not use different config files for different mods, so turning off Always Run for one mod will turn it off for ALL mods. I am used to playing with Always Run so I'm... not doing that.

3. If you don't want players to run, the correct way to implement this would be to configure the game to disable running. Again, this requires simply setting the running speed modifier to 0.5 instead of 0.

4. You seem really unnecessarily hostile to player feedback. I also missed that ledge near the bridge and spent like 10 minutes looking around. Something should be done to make it clear that this is the intended way - use a brightly colored texture, something that draws attention (item? enemy? decoration), use lighting, maybe put steps in front of it?

I apologize if i my terms there were not as clear as they could be.

because if u read the README file I included you know basically the entire system of jumping and attacking is tied to u r currently running or not

not being willing to meet ONE mod on its terms as far as its MODifications to the base game are is a terrible idea. There are hundreds of other mods all about circle strafing about the speed of light

My 11 year never had a problem finding and navigating his way through the level, if he can do it I can reasonably expect others to as well

On 2/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

I apologize if i my terms there were not as clear as they could be.

because if u read the README file I included you know basically the entire system of jumping and attacking is tied to u r currently running or not

not being willing to meet ONE mod on its terms as far as its MODifications to the base game are is a terrible idea. There are hundreds of other mods all about circle strafing about the speed of light

My 11 year never had a problem finding and navigating his way through the level, if he can do it I can reasonably expect others to as well

Serious question: if you completely disregard all feedback, why did you start this thread?

I also had the same navigation issues (the ledge and the way back up from the water). It also feels really bad to disable strafing.